Matthijs Frankena
Matthijs Frankena  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:12
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 10, 2017

Going through recent mails (not touching the email much, as it is vacation time) I found another attempt to swindle me out of some hard-earned money: an "Award letter" from "Google". I am to believe that I've won 950.000 quid, a Google Nexus tablet and some Ambassador title. Who wouldn't fall for that, eh?

Sender: Google UK Ltd ([email protected])

Email text:

Dear Google User.

You have been selected as a winner for ... See more
Going through recent mails (not touching the email much, as it is vacation time) I found another attempt to swindle me out of some hard-earned money: an "Award letter" from "Google". I am to believe that I've won 950.000 quid, a Google Nexus tablet and some Ambassador title. Who wouldn't fall for that, eh?

Sender: Google UK Ltd ([email protected])

Email text:

Dear Google User.

You have been selected as a winner for using Google services,attached to this email is Our Official Notification Letter for your perusal.

Congratulations on behalf of the Staffs & Members of Google UK.
Eileen Naughton.
CEO Google UK.

The attachment is a non-searchable PDF-document (apparently safe to open). I've attached it to this post as a jpeg.

Note the warning in the text that I should keep this information confidential until I've received the prize. …unwarranted abuse of this program by some unscrupulous elements, pah!

2017-08-10_135603

Perhaps I should report this to Google as well, as someone is using the name of their company for nefarious purposes, but that'll probably happen next week.

Who knows where else my email address has landed, and what other irresistible offers I'll receive in the coming weeks.
Collapse

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
I want that Aug 11, 2017

... not the Ambassador title, but "unscrupulous element" would be cool.

Other irresistible offers will pop up from everywhere:

("You don't have an email address, Mrs. Kröger, so I thought I'd drop by in person. My name is Mr. Spam. Do you need a penis enhancement?")

Aleksandra Romanova
Aleksandra Romanova
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:12
Japanese to English
+ ...
Thank you Aug 11, 2017

Ricki Farn wrote:

... not the Ambassador title, but "unscrupulous element" would be cool.

Other irresistible offers will pop up from everywhere:

("You don't have an email address, Mrs. Kröger, so I thought I'd drop by in person. My name is Mr. Spam. Do you need a penis enhancement?")

Thank you Ricki! Joke as old as time, but definitely made my day, along with this "award"!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Great quid Aug 11, 2017

Matthijs, I think Larry's saying you've actually won more than that. He says it's 950,000 "Great" British Pounds Sterling. It's been a while since I've been in the UK, but surely not that long. Do they have two versions now, great and regular common-or-garden?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another scam award: "Google"?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »