Russian-English translators beware of this scammer misusing the name of TRANSLIT
Thread poster: YESHWANT UMRALKAR
YESHWANT UMRALKAR
YESHWANT UMRALKAR  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:50
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2020

In November 2019 I received the following mail from ProZ:
ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: Daria Scherbakova
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when
sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 109.252.105.157
Message type: Job-related

-----------

Dear Mr. Umralkar! We have a rather urgent translation
(general
vocabulary) from R
... See more
In November 2019 I received the following mail from ProZ:
ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: Daria Scherbakova
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when
sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 109.252.105.157
Message type: Job-related

-----------

Dear Mr. Umralkar! We have a rather urgent translation
(general
vocabulary) from Russian into English. Some parts of text
is
similar, though the overall volume is large, so we will
split this
job among two translators.
If you are availible now, please let us know by contacting
via
e-mail: editor@транс-лит.рф (cyrillic domain)
and/or
[email protected]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was busy in November and informed the writer (purportedly Daria Scherbakova) of my not being available.
Two weeks ago I was approached again. This time I had the time so without further checking, I accepted the assignment of editing an English translation of Russian texts.
After I had submitted the job, a casual visit to the TRANSLIT site showed me a caution notice asking people to beware of scammers who were misusing Ms Scherbakova's name and posing as if they were from the actual TRANSLIT.
But the damage had been done. Now I do not know how to trace the scammer. It is useless really.

This is just a note of caution for Russian-English translators not to fall victim to them.

When I contacted TRANSLIT, they confirmed that the job had not been sent by them. On narrating the frauud, I was told by them that this was affecting their reputation as well so they had blocked out this scammer's email address and cautioned people to the extent possible.

I have learnt my lesson. Verify the source of the enquiry before starting the work. A telephone call to ascertain the identity of the person calling/writing on behalf of the translation company would be worth it.

Bye and all the best

Yeshwant

[Edited at 2020-02-21 07:30 GMT]
Collapse

Vadim Kadyrov

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Russian-English translators beware of this scammer misusing the name of TRANSLIT

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »