Francesca Morgano
Francesca Morgano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:29
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 14, 2020

Hi,

Two days ago I received a job offer from an agency that apparently corresponds to a scammer. The name of the agency is Power Translations, and the person who got in contact with me is Abeer Mohamed. They wrote a general message with a request to send a cv and best rates for a specific job, the message was well written and I stupidly didn't think of the possibility that their intentions were not genuine, so I replied and sent them my CV but when they asked me to sign a contract
... See more
Hi,

Two days ago I received a job offer from an agency that apparently corresponds to a scammer. The name of the agency is Power Translations, and the person who got in contact with me is Abeer Mohamed. They wrote a general message with a request to send a cv and best rates for a specific job, the message was well written and I stupidly didn't think of the possibility that their intentions were not genuine, so I replied and sent them my CV but when they asked me to sign a contract to start a collaboration, the document seemed too generic to me so I decided to double check who this guy was and found this :
http://www.translator-scammers.com/pdf/SCAM_POWERFUL_TRANSLATIONS.pdf
The email text is very similar to what I received and the attachment (the contract) is basically identical.

I am not sure about what I should do now that they have my CV, but I thought to inform you to beware.
As a further proof they are not serious, as soon as I started requesting more details on their agency and identity, they stopped answering.
Collapse

Lubinka Dimitrova

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
You should have checked the Blue Board Jul 14, 2020

You would find a bunch of various "company names" and aliases, as well as tons of information.
See https://www.proz.com/blueboard/9086

[Edited at 2020-07-14 14:49 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Liviu-Lee Roth
Yolanda Broad
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Lubinka Dimitrova

Rayméo Tadjoulemo
Rayméo Tadjoulemo
Cameroon
English to French
Scammer Aug 20, 2020

It is terrible what some people are capable of. I have just received the same mail.

Sofia Gutkin
Sofia Gutkin  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 19:29
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Abeer Mohamed (www.powertranslations.net) still alive and kicking Aug 18, 2021

I've just received this email - same fake Project Manager, same company Power Translations:

"Hello dear translator,

I hope you are doing well today.

I'm Abeer Mohamed from Power translation company.
At first, sorry for sending this message in this way but because of the huge number of translators in the database.

Would like to know your availability for a Russian proofreading task for a Product manual?

Part 1 Trados Review P
... See more
I've just received this email - same fake Project Manager, same company Power Translations:

"Hello dear translator,

I hope you are doing well today.

I'm Abeer Mohamed from Power translation company.
At first, sorry for sending this message in this way but because of the huge number of translators in the database.

Would like to know your availability for a Russian proofreading task for a Product manual?

Part 1 Trados Review Package for this project.

The new WC for this project is 13894.

We need to complete Part 1 within 2 days( on Friday), after that I will assign next part.

The payment will be via Payoneer or PayPal.
The rate: 0.01$per target word.
Kindly confirm so that I can start assigning the files today."
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Lubinka Dimitrova

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

scammer abeer mohamed [Languagemet is still around]

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »