Dahsom Hamilton, Ph.D.
Dahsom Hamilton, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:29
Member (2006)
English to Korean
+ ...
Nov 20, 2020

I was just alerted by one of my clients that someone sent them an email soliciting as me. They forwarded me the email below. It came from [email protected].

This person used all of my specs -- degree, court certification etc. with a fake email. Can someone advise me what I need to do about it? This is the second time this has happened to me and it appears that the person obtained my info from Pr
... See more
I was just alerted by one of my clients that someone sent them an email soliciting as me. They forwarded me the email below. It came from [email protected].

This person used all of my specs -- degree, court certification etc. with a fake email. Can someone advise me what I need to do about it? This is the second time this has happened to me and it appears that the person obtained my info from Proz.

Below is the scam email my client forwarded to me.

---------------------

Hello!

My name is Michelle Hamilton. I am a native Korean translator with perfect command of both Korean and English.

I am a licensed and court certified interpreter.

I hold a Ph.D. in Communications from the University of Texas at Austin.

I have been working as a translator for about 15 years.

My specialty areas are medical/pharmaceutical, legal and technology fields.

I guarantee the quality of my work 100% for accuracy.

Please contact me at any time via email [email protected]

I look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,

D. Michelle Hamilton, Ph.D.
Licensed & Certified Korean translator/interpreter
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Sorry to hear that Nov 21, 2020

For starters, I would hide the CV/resume from my profile. You can set visibility only to outsourcers.

María Toresani
Yolanda Broad
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 09:29
Dutch to English
+ ...
Alert clients Nov 21, 2020

I agree with Jean: limit the visibility of your resume or make it 'available on request'. If possible, insert a watermark or other mark of authenticity. In addition, alert all your clients, so they are aware of the situation. Be careful where you publish your information, including the forums.

Yolanda Broad
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 11:29
Romanian to English
+ ...
there is a real Dr.Michelle Hamilton - biologist Nov 22, 2020

the e-mail you presented states michihelle (not michelle) hamilton.

Contact all your clients and let them know about the similar but not identical e-mail address.

Stay safe,
lee

Yolanda Broad

Julia Ulm (X)
Julia Ulm (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:29
English to German
+ ...
Me, too, I found out that I was victim of Scam! Dec 4, 2020

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that what happened to you! I also found out that a Scammer registered on a agency website for which
I am translating. They tried to steal the payment for one of the Jobs!!! I found out that a job was missing on my payment list and
with the help of the management we could clear things out.

That was the first time that I found out that something like this kind of Scam does exist for translators. I am really upset!!!

They u
... See more
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that what happened to you! I also found out that a Scammer registered on a agency website for which
I am translating. They tried to steal the payment for one of the Jobs!!! I found out that a job was missing on my payment list and
with the help of the management we could clear things out.

That was the first time that I found out that something like this kind of Scam does exist for translators. I am really upset!!!

They used this fake email: [email protected]

I have to find a way to inform every client/agency I`m working with to be aware of this email.
THIS IS NOT ME!!!

I'm only using ONE professional email for which I pay monthly fees! I'm not using a free email account like .gmail!

Stay safe,
Julia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Someone is impersonating as me!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »