Agne Taraskute
Agne Taraskute  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:26
French to Lithuanian
+ ...
Mar 20, 2013

Hello everybody,

I have been working on it for several hours, but still not able to figure it out.

And here is the problem : while creating a TM I have chosen EN as source language, but it should have been FR. I would like to change the source language of this existing TM, but cannot.
I tried exporting the TM, created a new TM with FR as source language, and imported the exported TM (tmx file), but it does not import anything. Why is that?
Also tried to im
... See more
Hello everybody,

I have been working on it for several hours, but still not able to figure it out.

And here is the problem : while creating a TM I have chosen EN as source language, but it should have been FR. I would like to change the source language of this existing TM, but cannot.
I tried exporting the TM, created a new TM with FR as source language, and imported the exported TM (tmx file), but it does not import anything. Why is that?
Also tried to import the xliff files into my new TM with FR as source language, but does not want to import them due to different source lang in those xliff files.
Am I doing something wrong or is there any other solution?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Collapse

Apostol Stefanov

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Probably... Mar 21, 2013

... the easiest thing to do is create a new one and delete the old one. Surely you don't have any translations in here if the languages were wrong?

Regards

Paul

Agne Taraskute
France
French to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do have translations in the old TM Mar 21, 2013

I actually do have translations in the old TM with the wrong SL... And I really would like to keep them just changing the SL.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
ok - in this case export to TMX Mar 21, 2013

Hi,

If you export your TM with the incorrect languages to a TMX:

Then edit the language codes in the TMX here (open the TMX with a text editor):

In your case it'll be lang="EN-US"
... See more
Hi,

If you export your TM with the incorrect languages to a TMX:

Then edit the language codes in the TMX here (open the TMX with a text editor):

In your case it'll be lang="EN-US" or some other flavour of English. So just search and replace for lang="EN-US" or whatever flavour is in your TMX and replace with lang="FR-FR" or whatever flavour of French you are using.

Once you have done this you can either upgrade it to an SDLTM, or import it into an existing SDLTM that uses the language direction you want.

I'm quite curious how you managed to populate a TM with source segments in French when the TM was designated English though?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Agne Taraskute
France
French to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it worked Mar 24, 2013

Thanks, it worked !
Actually, the client starting sending documents in EN, so I created a TM with the sL in EN. Later on I stated receiving documents in FR, but thinking that was temporary I continued with the same TM... Big mistake.
Now I realize that my TM is not at all what I expected; it is a real mess...
Is it possible to change the SL of xliff files in order to import them into my new TM?

[Edited at 2013-03-24 21:19 GMT]

Mads Grøftehauge
Mads Grøftehauge  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
What about a big TM? Apr 30, 2013

Hi Paul from SDL,

I have tried to use your approach to change source language to En_US in a TM with En-UK as source language (because the client has sent an En-US project package and I want to use this TM as well as the included one).
The TM (and exported .tmx') is very large, so Searh&Replace wasn't something one could 'just' do. Notepad couldn't do the job, but I think my old Dreamweaver managed it. Only thing is, I can't load or import the.tmx now. I get an error message th
... See more
Hi Paul from SDL,

I have tried to use your approach to change source language to En_US in a TM with En-UK as source language (because the client has sent an En-US project package and I want to use this TM as well as the included one).
The TM (and exported .tmx') is very large, so Searh&Replace wasn't something one could 'just' do. Notepad couldn't do the job, but I think my old Dreamweaver managed it. Only thing is, I can't load or import the.tmx now. I get an error message that a token ' '' was expected to be ';'. And a line and position reference. How do I fix the .tmx?
Or better yet, is there an easy way to work with multiple language variants as source language? That would be a very helpful feature.

Yours,
Mads (Studio 2011)

[Edited at 2013-04-30 11:46 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
AnyTM... Apr 30, 2013

Mads Grøftehauge wrote:

Or better yet, is there an easy way to work with multiple language variants as source language? That would be a very helpful feature.

Hi,

You can use the AnyTM application from the OpenExchange which will allow you to use as lookup only any TM at all with your project irrespective of the languages. There is a blog article on this approach here: http://wp.me/p2xDjK-lu

Regards

Paul

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
SQLiteBrowser Apr 30, 2013

Mads Grøftehauge wrote:

The TM (and exported .tmx') is very large, so Searh&Replace wasn't something one could 'just' do.

Google for SQLiteBrowser and download it (freeware).
Unpack.
Run the executable.
Open your TM in the SQLiteBrowser.
Go to the second tab (Browse Data).
Select the translaion_memories table.
Modify the language codes.
Save.
Done.

Of course, make a backup before you proceed.

Cheers
GG

Katarzyna Slowikova

Mads Grøftehauge
Mads Grøftehauge  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Thanks! Import without editing is possible, though. May 1, 2013

Thank you both. I'll check that out.

I found a quick and easy solution from Walter Blaser, though:
You do not need to edit the En-UK TMX file. If you import it into a newly created TM with the source language En-US, it will automatically become En-US.

Mads G

Alexander Vareiko
Alexander Vareiko  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you. Oct 7, 2014

Thank you. It works even in Windows Notepad with Unicode setting.

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
SQLiteBrowser is brilliant! Jul 1, 2020

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Google for SQLiteBrowser and download it (freeware).
Unpack.
Run the executable.
Open your TM in the SQLiteBrowser.
Go to the second tab (Browse Data).
Select the translaion_memories table.
Modify the language codes.
Save.
Done.

Of course, make a backup before you proceed.

Cheers
GG

Many thanks Grzegorz for this brilliantly easy solution!
I'm still working with Studio 2011 and for some reason the tmx import didn't work for me (wanted to change EN(GB) to EN(US)). The installation of this tool took some time and effort but it was totally worth it - changing the variant took literally one second!
Very recommendable to everybody having problems with all the different English (or other languages) variants.

[Edited at 2020-07-01 23:44 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change source language in TM

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »