Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Italy
Local time: 02:47
Member (2018)
Italian to English
Feb 22, 2020

Hi,
I am working on a huge .idml file. I need to do a straightforward "find and replace" to remove a space before a comma. But the space is before a start tag and the comma is after a start tag. If I do the "find and replace" with the tags visible, then Trados will also delete the tag marker, leaving me with a ghost tag to sort out. If I hide all tags, I don't have this problem. Trouble is, I can't hide all tags despite selecting View-No Tag Text.
Annotation 2020-02-22 041138
What am I missing?
Hope that makes sense.

Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Italy
Member (2018)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'll answer... Feb 26, 2020

...my own question.
I went to options-Verification-QA checker-Punctuation.
Then in "check for unintentional spaces" I just put a comma. Then clicked "OK"
Then I ran the QA checker.
Then in "messages", I double clicked on the first instance of "Space before specified punctuation character (,)"
This opened (lo and behold!) the "Verification message details" menu, which also shows the offending segment, with the problem highlighted.
I then clicked "change". It a
... See more
...my own question.
I went to options-Verification-QA checker-Punctuation.
Then in "check for unintentional spaces" I just put a comma. Then clicked "OK"
Then I ran the QA checker.
Then in "messages", I double clicked on the first instance of "Space before specified punctuation character (,)"
This opened (lo and behold!) the "Verification message details" menu, which also shows the offending segment, with the problem highlighted.
I then clicked "change". It automatically removes the space, without affecting the tags, then jumps to the next instance of the error and so on.

Relatively painless.
Collapse

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Good for you! Feb 26, 2020

Good for you that you've found a solution.

I still don't understand how you ended up with this space before the comma. Is this your target text?

As far as I know, if you accidentally delete a tag belonging to a pair, Studio is supposed to restore the missing tag automatically. So, in my opinion, you shouldn't worry, anyway.

Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Italy
Member (2018)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'd used... Feb 27, 2020

...Google Translate API to transfer a mass of straightforward text, which I then post-edited. For some reason it stuck a space before all the commas, full stops, colons and semi-colons. No idea why.

Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Italy
Member (2018)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 27, 2020

As far as I know, if you accidentally delete a tag belonging to a pair, Studio is supposed to restore the missing tag automatically. So, in my opinion, you shouldn't worry, anyway.

Cheers...I'll test this.

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
I see... Feb 27, 2020

Kean Hall wrote:

...Google Translate API to transfer a mass of straightforward text, which I then post-edited. For some reason it stuck a space before all the commas, full stops, colons and semi-colons. No idea why.

Ah, I see now. Machine translation engines tend to introduce spaces before punctuation when they come across a tag. Luckily I rarely have that much tags so I just delete the space on the fly.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't hide all tags

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »