ElinFritiofsson
ElinFritiofsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 23:24
French to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 18, 2015

Hi!

Does anyone know of any good project management tools for freelancers? I'd love to have a software that keeps track of projects, invoicing, emails, time etc. all in one place!

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Projects, invoicing, clients... Dec 18, 2015

TO3000 is an excellent piece of software. It will manage you quotes, projects, clients, invoicing, schedule, and a whole lot more. I can wholeheartedly recommend it.

However, there's no function to take care of your email communication, nor will it help you to keep log of the time spent for individual projects.

It might still be worth having a look at TO3000.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:24
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
How complex is your business? Dec 18, 2015

I tried TO3000 and it certainly looked as though it could do pretty much anything a translator would need. However, I also found it far too complex for my relatively simple business. I got the feeling that I'd be spending so much time learning how to use it and feeding it data that I'd be better off without it, so I let the free trial lapse.

If you set up your own system then you get exactly what you want - nothing more, nothing less. And you can modify it and expand it as you see f
... See more
I tried TO3000 and it certainly looked as though it could do pretty much anything a translator would need. However, I also found it far too complex for my relatively simple business. I got the feeling that I'd be spending so much time learning how to use it and feeding it data that I'd be better off without it, so I let the free trial lapse.

If you set up your own system then you get exactly what you want - nothing more, nothing less. And you can modify it and expand it as you see fit. I have three Excel files that keep track of my projects, clients and invoices, plus I keep a paper copy of my invoices to manually track payments, using an indexed folder to highlight overdue ones. I'd want to have that bit of paper anyway, seeing as we're supposed to keep invoices for tax audits. Come a nuclear winter I'll be able to burn them to keep warm.

[Edited at 2015-12-18 17:33 GMT]
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene

Kamonchanok Kulpanyalert
Kamonchanok Kulpanyalert  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:24
Member (2014)
English to Thai
+ ...
TO3000... Dec 21, 2015

ElinFritiofsson wrote:

Hi!

Does anyone know of any good project management tools for freelancers? I'd love to have a software that keeps track of projects, invoicing, emails, time etc. all in one place!

I use TO3000, but it does not have email integration (you can send email only from Outlook or other email software you installed - also you will not have automatic email follow-up function too) and time tracking tool (you need additional time tracking tool and put it in the Project later - I recommend Toggl time tracking tool as it has desktop version too).
Other than these two features you asked, no other project management tool (online/offline) can beat it in my opinion in terms of functions for freelance translators.

If you want to try TO3000, I recommend you to use Client Job mode. It is much easier to learn in my opinion.

Kamonchanok

Oksana Kondakova
Oksana Kondakova  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:24
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Looking for an alternative to TO3000 as well... Mar 2, 2016

Does anyone know any cloud-based alternatives to TO3000? The main issue is that it is desktop-based. And that ugly 90s interface...

INSTRKTIV
INSTRKTIV
Germany
list of project management tools Mar 4, 2016

There are quite a few mentioned here: http://www.capterra.com/project-management-software/

I work with Beebole Timesheet, but it does not have all features you mention

Chase Grigsby (X)

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
keep things simple May 17, 2016

I would recommend you to keep things simple.
If you run a freelance business, there is absolutely no need to use softwares for managing your invoices.
I have used TO3000 for a couple of years, but I think is much better (and faster) to do things manually using a methodical approach

Daniela Alunni
Wolfgang Schoene

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 07:24
Japanese to English
You can do quite a lot by yourself! Jun 24, 2016

I tend to agree with Sheila and Bruno: if you do it yourself, you can get all of the workflow, all of the bells and whistles, exactly the way you want them.

Anyone who works in any version of MS Office (Excel, Word, etc.) that needs help with VBA/macros can contact me, and I'll be glad to help you design/build a set of macros and data-entry forms that can make your business life easier. It's good practice for me, and I love doing it...

MGrant

Zakir Hussain

Laetitia Palmaerts
Laetitia Palmaerts
Belgium
Dutch to French
+ ...
LSP.expert is an excellent tool for freelancers Jun 24, 2016

I use LSP.expert and I'm very satisfied. Huge time saving at a low price, easy billing tool and the reports provide an overview of jobs at any time and anywhere because the application is available from any device (even smartphone).
More info: https://www.lsp.expert/

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
Local time: 00:24
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
You may try Protemos Jun 24, 2016

The new tool called Protemos is online-based and free: www.protemos.com

Eleni Makantani

Daniel McCosh
Daniel McCosh
Germany
German to English
QuaHill Basic Aug 11, 2016

About a year ago, DevDivision launched a version of their translation management software (QuaHill) for freelancers and I have found it an excellent and fairly priced solution with great support. It certainly has features similar (if not more flexible) than TO3000 including e-mail archiving, custom quotes/invoices, import of CAT analyses and automated project creation in SDL Studio etc. I also agree with the comments about it depends how complex your business is and how you work. I had certain r... See more
About a year ago, DevDivision launched a version of their translation management software (QuaHill) for freelancers and I have found it an excellent and fairly priced solution with great support. It certainly has features similar (if not more flexible) than TO3000 including e-mail archiving, custom quotes/invoices, import of CAT analyses and automated project creation in SDL Studio etc. I also agree with the comments about it depends how complex your business is and how you work. I had certain requirements which needed a more complicated setup than a spreadsheet but not everyone does.
http://www.quahill.com/
Regards,
Daniel
Collapse

Dmitry Borodin
Dmitry Borodin
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:24
Russian to English
+ ...
Rulingo can be the tool for you Oct 3, 2016

From my side, want to recommend Rulingo.com. The tool is online and has editions for translation companies and for freelancers.
At our company we've been using it for several months already, and the managers are happy so far.
Also, I know that some of our translators are using the freelancer edition, so may be worth trying it out.
http://rulingo.com

David Kimb
David Kimb
Indonesia
Local time: 05:24
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Fred by Lexigo Sep 11, 2019

I work for Lexigo as a freelancer and was part of their private release of their new software called Fred. I have been very happy with it mainly because its cloud based and I can use it on my phone or PC and I don't need to think about quoting, invoicing, storing files and project management etc. https://www.lexigo.com/fred

Kari Peltola
Kari Peltola  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
List of project management systems Jan 13, 2021

Here's a list of project management tools for freelancers: https://breezefortranslators.com/translation-project-management-tools-for-freelancers

Mia Liou

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I also maintain a list: Jan 13, 2021

I also maintain a list on my website @

https://beijerpedia.com/wiki/Invoicing_software

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Good project management tools for freelancers

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »