Thread poster: Heike Holthaus
Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:58
English to French
+ ...
Euh... Jun 7, 2019

I have been using Eudora (now on Windows 10) for more than 25 years... I know, that’s a Computer Museum piece. But never failed me!

Heike Holthaus
Heike Holthaus  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all... Jun 10, 2019

for your input. I'll have a look at the suggested programs.

Happy translating!

Heike

Jakov Milicevic
Jakov Milicevic  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 11:58
Member (2010)
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
Postbox Jun 10, 2019

I have found Postbox to be one of the best.

Heike Holthaus
Heike Holthaus  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SSL/TLS Jun 20, 2019

Hi Rolf,

I tried SSL in/SSL out and SSL in/TLS out with gmail and protonmail but I never get past the point where outlook tries to sent a test message.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Settings? Jun 21, 2019

Heike Holthaus wrote:
I tried SSL in/SSL out and SSL in/TLS out with gmail

Did you use these settings:
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?
or these:
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?

?

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Which Email client do you recommend Jun 21, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

Heike Holthaus wrote:
I would need to be able to send (the newsletter, for example) and receive (e. g. replies, comments, etc.)

Aah, so you need an e-mail program that is capable of composing (and sending) highly formatted e-mails, right? This narrows it (-: Outlook is one of the better ones, for this purpose, AFAIK. Why don't you want to use Outlook?

I for one do not use Outlook on the Mac, although I do quite like it, because I have lots of mail accounts and I have to open every single account to display the folder tree in the account pane to see if there are new mails. Postbox, Mail and Thunderbird put a dot in front of the (not opened) account so I can see that a new message has arrived in that account.
Outlook does not do that (or I haven't found out how to set this feature) as it sets a number only in front of the folders inside the accounts.
Of course, I could activate Notifications which is not what I want, or keep all account trees open so that all folders are visible, but I have 30+ folders only in my professional account, therefore, when this account tree is displayed with all its folders, I cannot see the folders of my other accounts anymore and have to scroll up and down. I know it sounds a bit complicated, but mailing life is easier with Postbox, Mail or Thunderbird.
On the Windows 10 side I often use The Bat which behaves as I want it to, that is, every account is marked in Bold when new messages arrived.

[Edited at 2019-06-21 14:18 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Airmail on Mac (and iPhone) Jun 22, 2019

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

I for one do not use Outlook on the Mac, although I do quite like it, because I have lots of mail accounts and I have to open every single account to display the folder tree in the account pane to see if there are new mails.

I use Airmail on my Macs (and on my iPhone). Besides great support for IMAP it offers a feature to send big files via a Dropbox or iCloud link (which timed deletion from your iCloud) and my absolute favourite is its Snooze feature to keep my Inbox tidy:

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 09.51.05

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Airmail on Mac (and iPhone) Jun 22, 2019

Hans Lenting wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

I for one do not use Outlook on the Mac, although I do quite like it, because I have lots of mail accounts and I have to open every single account to display the folder tree in the account pane to see if there are new mails.

I use Airmail on my Macs (and on my iPhone). Besides great support for IMAP it offers a feature to send big files via a Dropbox or iCloud link (which timed deletion from your iCloud) and my absolute favourite is its Snooze feature to keep my Inbox tidy:

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 09.51.05

I own Airmail, too, but same problem as Outlook, no dots to signal new posts next to the Account name, I would have to open the folder tree of the account to see new mails in the single folders. Yesterday I switched to Spark which as new mail marking regards behaves as it should (for me).
What's more, Airmail is very intrusive and installs its own IMAP folders without having been asked to do so in all my accounts.

Jakov Milicevic
Jakov Milicevic  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2010)
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
Postbox Jun 23, 2019

I have recently started using Postbox and I find it quite good

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Only free webmails Jun 29, 2019

All I ask from an email system is that my messages get delivered to me, and that I can reply to them and send attachments if necessary. I'm not really bothered about specific notifications for any client or reason. As long as I don't get too much spam, I'm not bothered.

I've only ever used free webmails and never really had any problems. I currently mainly use Yahoo, but I also have Gmail accounts.

The way I look at things, people are entitled to their opinions, but if
... See more
All I ask from an email system is that my messages get delivered to me, and that I can reply to them and send attachments if necessary. I'm not really bothered about specific notifications for any client or reason. As long as I don't get too much spam, I'm not bothered.

I've only ever used free webmails and never really had any problems. I currently mainly use Yahoo, but I also have Gmail accounts.

The way I look at things, people are entitled to their opinions, but if they think that not paying for an email system makes you unprofessional or a scammer, well, that's their pigeon.
Collapse

DZiW (X)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which Email client do you recommend

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »