Choosing the right subtitling program
Thread poster: Ernests Barons
Jan 11, 2020

Hey!

I lead a relatively amateurish translating and subtitles-coding team. We translate the interviews our organization makes and it's mostly volunteer-based. For now, we subtitle only Norwegian to English as we do not have the resources to subtitle english to english yet (timewise). The team consists of 10 translators, and so far we have only used Subtitle Edit. The same person does both translating and coding simult
... See more
Hey!

I lead a relatively amateurish translating and subtitles-coding team. We translate the interviews our organization makes and it's mostly volunteer-based. For now, we subtitle only Norwegian to English as we do not have the resources to subtitle english to english yet (timewise). The team consists of 10 translators, and so far we have only used Subtitle Edit. The same person does both translating and coding simultaneously.

I'm looking for ways to speed up both the translation/coding and the proofing process of the subtitles. Do you have any thoughts about which program we should use to step up to a more professional level? Making it easy to adapt to the program for new, inexperienced, volunteers is key.
(I've looked

Additional info:
- We need to produce SRT files for Vimeo, so text-placement and text-formatting is not necessary.
- Shot-changes is not something we need to think too much about, so that isn't a key factor for a program.
- It would be a plus if we could burn in subtitles in the same program, but ease of use is a higher priority (Atm, we're using Resolve to do this)

Thank you in advance!

[Edited at 2020-01-30 09:04 GMT]
Collapse

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:31
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Ooona Jan 13, 2020

Hi Ernests,

You can check Ooona's subtitling softwares. I'm using "Translate Pro" cause I need shot changes. "Translate" is a cheaper version with no shot change feature. It's a pretty professional software. You can free trial. https://ooona.ooonatools.tv/

Best,

Clare Rainey
Clare Rainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
I second Ooona Jan 15, 2020

Just another voice in favour of Ooona. It's very intuitive to use and I've been really pleased with it so far.

Ernests Barons
Ernests Barons
Norway
TOPIC STARTER

Thank you both - I'll check it out!

[Edited at 2020-01-30 09:14 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Choosing the right subtitling program

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »