Thread poster: Marisa Cores
Marisa Cores
Marisa Cores  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 29, 2020

Hi everyone!

This is a technical question. Please, do not post a comment if you don't know the answer - just wait for somebody knowledgeable to answer it.

I'm taking a subtitling test and one of the requirements is "Frame gap: 2 frames minimum and 3 maximum."

I've always worked with minimum frame gaps (that is, the space that needs to be left between two subtitle events). Can anybody clarify what the 3 maximum gap is?

If you can provide an exa
... See more
Hi everyone!

This is a technical question. Please, do not post a comment if you don't know the answer - just wait for somebody knowledgeable to answer it.

I'm taking a subtitling test and one of the requirements is "Frame gap: 2 frames minimum and 3 maximum."

I've always worked with minimum frame gaps (that is, the space that needs to be left between two subtitle events). Can anybody clarify what the 3 maximum gap is?

If you can provide an example, that would be awesome.

Thank you so much!
Collapse

ecem turhal

Slobodan Kozarčić
Slobodan Kozarčić  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 18:01
Member (2016)
English to Serbian
+ ...
I don't see what is not clear? Apr 29, 2020

Marisa Cores wrote:

If you can provide an example, that would be awesome.

Thank you so much!

You cannot have more than three frames between two subs in one scene, or in continuos talk. I personally prefer one frame, or no gap at all, but French agencies require four frames minumum (even six at shot changes which I don't respect, I mean SC) so it looks like the subs "jump" on screen. But, hey, it's their money.

SubtitlePlus screen pic

[Edited at 2020-04-29 13:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-04-29 13:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-04-29 13:44 GMT]

Marisa Cores
Marisa Cores  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For example... Apr 29, 2020

So, if I had these subtitles:

00:01:10:10 - 00:01:11:15

I don't know

00:01:12:11 - 00:01:14:17

what to do with it.

Would the timing be incorrect? I mean, that would be the correct timing to speech. But according to the max frame guideline, I should probably merge both subtitles?

Slobodan Kozarčić
Slobodan Kozarčić  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2016)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Maybe not if it isn't a continious conversation with a normal rhythm. Apr 29, 2020

Marisa Cores wrote:

So, if I had these subtitles:

I don't know

00:01:12:11 - 00:01:14:17

what to do with it.

Would the timing be incorrect? I mean, that would be the correct timing to speech. But according to the max frame guideline, I should probably merge both subtitles?

But you will have to put an ellipsis after "know"
I don't know...

In my example, No. 22 end is 03:43:13 and No 23. sub begins with 03:43:15, so there is a 2-frame gap. Now, I might change No. 22 end into 03:43:12, or No. 23 into 03:43:16 to get three frames gap, but I usually skip that dragging work by setting my software to three frames gap in the beginning of my work.

Sylvano
Sylvano
English to French
I guess I understand your question... May 1, 2020

When they say 3 frames maximum, it doesn't mean all subs have to be 3 frames from one another. It means that when two subs have to be as close as possible (one line subtitled over several subs), they must be at least 2 or 3 frames apart. But if there is a short pause between two lines from the same speaker, the gap can be more than 3 frames, of course. I don't think it means you have to merge systematically your subs.

[Edited at 2020-05-01 10:04 GMT]

Tanvi Hegade
Tanvi Hegade  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:31
Member (2022)
German to English
Aegisub frame gap Feb 25, 2022

Hi! Could anyone please explain how to add a 2-frame gap in Aegisub?
Would really appreciate the help!

Warmly,
Tanvi

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
@Tanvi Hegade Mar 5, 2022

https://www.reddit.com/r/editors/comments/otveoy/first_post_aegisub_help/

My opinion:
Aegisub is quite a PITA for professional subtitling. So unless you mostly work with ASS/SSA format and really need its fancy effects, in most cases it's better to use Subtitle Edit instead.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Frame gap: subtitling

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »