Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:10
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Apr 7, 2011

G'day everyone

I've used Anchovy to create a TBX file from my own little glossary. I need to import the TBX file into Idiom. Idiom wants to see an XCS file as well. Can Anchovy create a vanilla XCS file that will satisfy most generic requirements?

Thanks
Samuel

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Use LISA default Apr 7, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:
Idiom wants to see an XCS file as well.

Downloading and specifying the default XCS file works:
http://www.lisa.org/fileadmin/standards/tbx/TBXXCSV02.XCS

Perhaps Anchovy believes that anyone who opens a TBX file will always have internet access...?

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:10
English to Spanish
Anchovy declares default XCS Apr 7, 2011

Anchovy is designed to work with GlossML files.

You can export your GlossML files as TBX and the declared XCS is the default one, which every tool that supports TBX should have in its own XCS catalog.

Having the XCS file in the catalog ensures that you don't need internet access to download the XCS file. XML catalogs were invented precisely for that case.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Idiom and the XCS file Apr 7, 2011

Rodolfo Raya wrote:
...and the declared XCS is the default one, which every tool that supports TBX should have in its own XCS catalog.

Well, Idiom doesn't have it (it seems).

The default file at the LISA web site doesn't contain all languages -- it certainly doesn't contain one of the languages of the TBX file. Wouldn't that affect whether the XCS file is considered useful?

Rodolfo Raya
English to Spanish
XCS does not contain language info Apr 7, 2011

An XCS file only contaisn the data categories used in the TBX file. It has the names of the categories and some possible values.

The XCS file is not designed for an especific language.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Rodolfo Raya
English to Spanish
XCS defines categories Apr 7, 2011

The XCS file does not contamplate languages. It only defines the data categories that can be used in a TBX file. Normally, it is written using English.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
LISA's sample XCS file Apr 7, 2011

Rodolfo Raya wrote:
XCS does not contain language info.

If you open the file at:
http://www.lisa.org/fileadmin/standards/tbx/TBXXCSV02.XCS
you'll see it mentions a number of languages, along with language codes. Also, it contains a comment that says:

All languages used in a TBX document instance must be declared in the elements below.
The following declarations are for demonstration purposes,...

The TBX file created by Anchovy has the language codes "en" and "af" in it, and "af" is not in LISA's XCS file. Would that make a difference? Anyway, I just added "af" and "en-US" to it -- not sure if that was what helped solved the problem.

[My problem with Idiom is now solved -- I think the main problem was that Idiom wants the language codes to be exactly the same as the TBX file's. My TBX file had "en" but when I changed it to "en-US" and re-imported it to Idiom, the term list suddenly worked.

The reason why I wanted to be able to import a TBX file into Idiom was to help some colleagues who don't know how to roundtrip an Idiom file via Wordfast. I myself don't use the TD inside Idiom itself.]

Rodolfo Raya
English to Spanish
No need to add languages to XCS Apr 7, 2011

There is no need to add languages. The XCS file is useful only for validating categories.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Anchovy create an XCS file

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »