Is there any method in SDL Trados Studio 2021 to mark a segment during reviewing for later analysis?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 13:29
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 7, 2021

Is there any method in SDL Trados Studio 2021 to mark a segment during reviewing for later analysis?

I'm reviewing a very large MTPE project now and need to get through a lot of files in different batches. First, I want to fix the most obvious errors and later go back for a closer look at some segments. For this purpose, I want to add like a colour marking of a segment so I easily recognize it when browsing through the segments a second time.

Is it the bookmark function
... See more

I'm reviewing a very large MTPE project now and need to get through a lot of files in different batches. First, I want to fix the most obvious errors and later go back for a closer look at some segments. For this purpose, I want to add like a colour marking of a segment so I easily recognize it when browsing through the segments a second time.

Is it the bookmark function I should use? Or is there any other function which adds a colour marking so that the marking is visible in the Editor view?
Collapse

James Plastow
James Plastow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:29
Member (2020)
Japanese to English
segment status or text May 7, 2021

You could temporarily change the status to a status that is not used in the document such as Translation Approved etc.

Alternatively you could add some placemarker text such as @@@@@@

The bookmark function is also an option but you cant filter by it as far as I know.

Yossi Rozenman

Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Segment status is most straightforward May 8, 2021

I found out now that I first change segment status for all segments to Not translated. Then I review row by row, and change segment status to Translated as I edit each segment. I have a shortcut for changing status to Translated, so it's really straightforward.

When done (of after I have edited thousands segments or so), can I close the multiple files in the editor window and do the batch task Update main translation memory to get my segments I've set as Translated into the transla
... See more
I found out now that I first change segment status for all segments to Not translated. Then I review row by row, and change segment status to Translated as I edit each segment. I have a shortcut for changing status to Translated, so it's really straightforward.

When done (of after I have edited thousands segments or so), can I close the multiple files in the editor window and do the batch task Update main translation memory to get my segments I've set as Translated into the translation memory? It worked fine when I had the multiple files opened for translation, but will it work when I had the multiple files opened for reviewing also?
Collapse

Katrin Braams
Katrin Braams  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
Add a comment May 8, 2021

You could add a fake (or real) comment to the segment. Comments come in three different colours, depending on their category.
When you are done you can look at all segments which have a comment and delete your comment.
Of course, creating a comment is somewhat time consuming, but I work a lot with the common feature and find it quite useful.

Paul Malone

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »