Article: Things You Must Know About Turkish Translation
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 15, 2012

This topic is for discussion of the ProZ.com translation article "Things You Must Know About Turkish Translation".

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:18
English to Turkish
Full of inaccuracies Mar 22, 2018

"The Turkish language is an ancient language that is widely spoken in the European continent."
No it is not. It is widely spoken in the Middle East, Central Asia and some parts of the Balkan peninsula barring, of course, the Turkish immigrants (diaspora) living in Europe who refuse to learn the language of their host countries and stick to their mother tongue.
"...it soon spread to the European, North African and Middle Eastern countries."
I have yet to see/hear a single "Nor
... See more
"The Turkish language is an ancient language that is widely spoken in the European continent."
No it is not. It is widely spoken in the Middle East, Central Asia and some parts of the Balkan peninsula barring, of course, the Turkish immigrants (diaspora) living in Europe who refuse to learn the language of their host countries and stick to their mother tongue.
"...it soon spread to the European, North African and Middle Eastern countries."
I have yet to see/hear a single "North African" who speaks Turkish.
"It has about 80 million speakers only in Europe"
This statement beggars belief. Turkey has never joined the EU or got geographically included in Europe or there has never been a time when there were 80 million Turkish expats living in European countries. This is simply not true. If the reference is being made to the population of Turkey, assuming that it is geographically located in Europe, 20 to 25 million of that population is non-native Turkish speakers.
"thus the need for Turkish translation is high"
High? really? Then why do I get the feeling that it is nowhere near as high as the 'need for Dutch translation', the total number of native speakers of which is estimated to be around 22 million people worldwide? I mean I can tell, because I am in the translation business for 11 years now.
I could go on and on... This is just an embarrassing piece of article full of blatant inaccuracies, I personally felt ashamed, as a Turkish speaker, while reading it. People should think twice before conjuring up such fantasies and posting them on a reputable website.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article: Things You Must Know About Turkish Translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »