Olga Korlevic  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 16:04
Member (2016)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 17, 2017

Hello,
Sorry if somebody has already asked this question.
I am after the list of Australian authorities that need their translations to be certified by NAATI accredited translators.
Could somebody help me find out this information?
Thanks in advance!

Anna Herbst
Anna Herbst  Identity Verified
Australia
English to Swedish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
All government authorities Jan 17, 2017

Hi Olga,

I don't know that there is a list as such, but all translations of documents requested by Government authorities need to carry the NAATI stamp to be valid for use in Australia. Even documents translated by certified translators overseas require a NAATI stamp to be used for amon
... See more
Hi Olga,

I don't know that there is a list as such, but all translations of documents requested by Government authorities need to carry the NAATI stamp to be valid for use in Australia. Even documents translated by certified translators overseas require a NAATI stamp to be used for among other things migration purposes. See https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/who-can-translate-my-documents-into-english-for-me

Further to that, the Courts of Law request NAATI stamped translations of documents presented to the court.

The NAATI accreditation/recognition has to be renewed every 3 years - see https://www.naati.com.au/information/revalidation/

Cheers,
Anna
Collapse

Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia (X)
Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia (X)
Australia
Local time: 15:04
English
+ ...
Government only Jan 17, 2017

Hi Olga,
Basically anyone who is involved with the government, including the Courts, police, hospitals (even private ones still prefer naati certified people). Community organisations also prefer it.

In the corporate sector or marketing or publishing or technical, 99% don't care if you are certified or not, if you can do the job well.

Good luck,
Daria

Olga Korlevic
Olga Korlevic  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2016)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 18, 2017

As far as I understand, usually the customer is aware whether he needs the translation to be done by a NAATI accredited translator or not?

Anna Herbst
Anna Herbst  Identity Verified
Australia
English to Swedish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Always check with client Jan 18, 2017

If you have a current NAATI accreditation/recognition you don't need to worry. If you don't, it would be prudent to double check with the client that NAATI accreditation is NOT needed before accepting a translation that you suspect might fall into one of the categories where the NAATI stamp is demanded.
NAATI accredited translators in your language pair can be found in the NAATI on-line dire
... See more
If you have a current NAATI accreditation/recognition you don't need to worry. If you don't, it would be prudent to double check with the client that NAATI accreditation is NOT needed before accepting a translation that you suspect might fall into one of the categories where the NAATI stamp is demanded.
NAATI accredited translators in your language pair can be found in the NAATI on-line directory at https://www.naati.com.au/Online/PDSearch/StartNewSearch

Cheers,
Anna
Collapse

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 15:04
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Not always Jan 18, 2017

Hi Olga,

NAATI system is not always straightforward so clients are often confused.

If you consider gaining a NAATI accreditation, I would encourage you to wait until next year. Just received an email from NAATI advising the implementation of a new certification system next year.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certified translations in Australia

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »