Co-working/Co-studying in Brisbane in 2018
Thread poster: Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 03:40
Chinese
Jan 12, 2018

In Brisbane we are blessed with some of the best places where we can spend a day, either doing translation or just enjoying a book.

I work from the state library (http://www.slq.qld.gov.au/visit-us) from time to time. I will make it a regular thing in 2018. If anyone is interested in co-working/co-studying from there, let's meet there in the morning on the the first Friday of each month
... See more
In Brisbane we are blessed with some of the best places where we can spend a day, either doing translation or just enjoying a book.

I work from the state library (http://www.slq.qld.gov.au/visit-us) from time to time. I will make it a regular thing in 2018. If anyone is interested in co-working/co-studying from there, let's meet there in the morning on the the first Friday of each month in 2018 except during public holidays/school holidays. There is a very good cafe immediately outside the library.

This is what it looks like working from the State Library of Queensland:

Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

First Friday! Jan 12, 2018

Sounds good!

Thanks for this, will be great to meet everyone.

I'll be there, bike parked outside!

What time suits you best?

Regards,

Dylan

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Library and other public places Jan 12, 2018

Library is a good option particularly in summer. An off-topic question. Do you use XTM over public Wi-Fi? How do you find the speed? Thanks.

Guofei_LIN
Australia
Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Opening hours Jan 12, 2018

Level 1 opens at 9 am.
Levels 2 and 3 open at 10 am. If you want a good window seat, you want to be there early.

I didn't have any problems using XTM over the library's wifi.

Guofei_LIN
Australia
Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
2 February Jan 27, 2018

Just a reminder that the first co-working meeting is on Friday 2 February after 10am at the State Library on level 2 (ground floor being level 1).

The city library on George Square is also an ideal place for co-working or just for working by yourself. We have two nice choices.

Guofei_LIN
Australia
Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
First Friday of the month again! Feb 28, 2018

2 March is the first Friday of the month and as usual, I invite colleagues to join me in the State Library of Queensland for co-working/co-studying.

Some ideas: Unless people want to, we don't need to seek to sit next to each other for co-working/co-studying purpose. We will operate around the principle of tomato (Pomodoro) clock technique, and the tomato clock is reset on the hour each hour. This means that each of us start a session at 10:00am, 11:00am, and 1:00pm etc., making our
... See more
2 March is the first Friday of the month and as usual, I invite colleagues to join me in the State Library of Queensland for co-working/co-studying.

Some ideas: Unless people want to, we don't need to seek to sit next to each other for co-working/co-studying purpose. We will operate around the principle of tomato (Pomodoro) clock technique, and the tomato clock is reset on the hour each hour. This means that each of us start a session at 10:00am, 11:00am, and 1:00pm etc., making our own decisions about how long a break we want to take. If you want to take a 15 minute break, you stop your work at 9:45am, 10:45am, etc., if you want to take a 5 minute break, you take breaks at 9:55am, 10:55am, etc.. We can meet and chat on the balcony during breaks and in the cafe during lunch breaks. We can work out other rules later down the road.

If anyone is interested, maybe we can set up a Facebook group to arrange meetings during breaks. Over time, if we find some topics of common concern, we can also use one of the meeting rooms in the library for discussion or making informal presentations.

I'll propose a POWWOW for this for the first Friday of April, but 2 March is still on. Hope to see some of you there. Cheers!
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Powow 3 Aug Jul 30, 2018

Guofei_LIN wrote:

During the most recent AUSIT meeting co-working was discussed and I remembered your proposal for the first Friday of the month at State Library.
Some other members were interested, so I've created a PowWow (awaiting site approval).

I apologise for not coming to previous days. I honestly did not see these posts.

Where do you suggest is a good meeting place in the Library? I've not worked there before so would be good if we follow your lead on where to meet.

Thanks,

Dylan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Co-working/Co-studying in Brisbane in 2018

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »