Off topic: Does anyone know the word 'HOTENT'?
Thread poster: Birthe Omark
Birthe Omark
Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 02:09
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
Oct 1, 2018

Hi

I have posted the question i Kudoz (EN-DA), but this is probably a better place. Here is why:

In the scandinavian scouting & guiding world, we have created a concept called 'Hotelt' ... it is basically Hotel in a tent (= telt). We have used the concept for large international scout camps to house visitors or helpers in more comfort than an old fashioned scout tent can offer. We offer them a real camp bed and all the trimmings.
Now then. I have written an intern
... See more
Hi

I have posted the question i Kudoz (EN-DA), but this is probably a better place. Here is why:

In the scandinavian scouting & guiding world, we have created a concept called 'Hotelt' ... it is basically Hotel in a tent (= telt). We have used the concept for large international scout camps to house visitors or helpers in more comfort than an old fashioned scout tent can offer. We offer them a real camp bed and all the trimmings.
Now then. I have written an international presentation (an English and a French version). As 'telt' has no meaning in any of those languages, I created an analogue: HOTENT. I thought that meaningful.
I now hear that the word 'hotent' is a slang word for a brothel. I can see the it thinking 'hore house -> hore tent'.
The person objecting strongly against our use of the term is insistent that it is common knowledge - particularly among Australians?
In a European context, the word is acknowledged, there is even an EU architectural project of that name.

So is the word 'HOTENT' a no-go in such respectable context as a scout camp?
Is there evidence of the brothel-like meaning of the term??
Collapse

Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia (X)
Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia (X)
Australia
Local time: 11:09
English
+ ...
Hmmm Oct 1, 2018

This is the first time I've heard that word, or even the Danish name for hotel / tents that you describe. I am aware of flashpacking & it's camping equivalent, of course.

But my first gut reaction to your HOTENT - before even reading your message! - was 'hmm she's being a bit rude, whats that about?' That's before I even thought about it!

And yeah, I guess if decompose it, it does sounds very much like a euphemism for a brothel. HO is slang for a prostitute of the cheap
... See more
This is the first time I've heard that word, or even the Danish name for hotel / tents that you describe. I am aware of flashpacking & it's camping equivalent, of course.

But my first gut reaction to your HOTENT - before even reading your message! - was 'hmm she's being a bit rude, whats that about?' That's before I even thought about it!

And yeah, I guess if decompose it, it does sounds very much like a euphemism for a brothel. HO is slang for a prostitute of the cheapest kind, or a woman who'll sleep with anyone. It's a deeply denigrating, dismissing and objectifying slang word.

So no, I would NOT use that word. Especially in Australia. Just going by the gut reaction, it will be received very badly.

As for the argument 'but it's ok in Europe!' - please read the news last week about the guy in the USA somewhere getting sacked because he made an a-OK sign on video. It's a very offensive gesture in some parts of the world and yet perfectly acceptable in others. Australia is not Europe, even if we are in the Eurovision

Cheers,
D.
Collapse

Birthe Omark
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I dreaded that reaction ... Oct 1, 2018

Dear Daria!

Thank you so much for replying and with such claity. It leaves me in no doubt about NOT using the term, and make sure to correct all copies of the PPT.
We certainly don't like rude words. And I will have to eat mine as well as humble pie in front of the person, who saved our neck.

Thank you very much.
Birthe

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:09
Member (2008)
Italian to English
What's wrong with... Oct 1, 2018

Tentotel?

Jo Macdonald
Anna Herbst
Helen Shiner
Birthe Omark

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
glamping already exists Oct 1, 2018

Why not use a commonly accepted word that already exists?
Definition: A form of camping involving accommodation and facilities more luxurious than those associated with traditional camping.
Example sentence
‘glamping is likely to satisfy any city slicker seeking a little refuge in nature—without foregoing any of life's luxurie
... See more
Why not use a commonly accepted word that already exists?
Definition: A form of camping involving accommodation and facilities more luxurious than those associated with traditional camping.
Example sentence
‘glamping is likely to satisfy any city slicker seeking a little refuge in nature—without foregoing any of life's luxuries’
Source: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/glamping

I recently encountered 'chumping' in Rushden Lakes, Northamptonshire, which is a combination of 'church' and 'camping' where a small church is used to accommodate kayakers on the river Nene.

The negative connotation with 'hotent' in my mind stems from the French word 'hautain' = haughty.

[Edited at 2018-10-01 13:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-10-01 13:54 GMT]
Collapse

Kay Denney
Helen Shiner

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Glamping! Oct 1, 2018

I was coming to suggest glamping, which is used a lot in tourism, but I see great minds have already thought alike!

Hotent might be a shade more specific but it's true that it sounds like it could have a saucy connotation. There's ho, and there's hot, and it rhymes (possibly) with potent

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Mum, can I go to the Hotent on holiday? Oct 1, 2018

Hi Birthe,
Despite never having been to a tent or any other type of establishment where such ladies might hang out, one of the things I immediately thought hotent might mean was unfortunately a tent full of saucy ladies so.... maybe not where you want to ask mum to go on holiday with the scouts.

I like Tom's Tentotel and as Anne says glamping is already in use, so if they're fairly luxurious you could use that.

Here in Andalucía there are quite a few yurt hotels,
... See more
Hi Birthe,
Despite never having been to a tent or any other type of establishment where such ladies might hang out, one of the things I immediately thought hotent might mean was unfortunately a tent full of saucy ladies so.... maybe not where you want to ask mum to go on holiday with the scouts.

I like Tom's Tentotel and as Anne says glamping is already in use, so if they're fairly luxurious you could use that.

Here in Andalucía there are quite a few yurt hotels, or you could also use tent hotel, pop-up hotel.

The tents in the Sahara you can stay overnight in are called Sahara camps or luxury Sahara tent hotels.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Horrible words Oct 1, 2018

Jo Macdonald wrote:

Hi Birthe,

Here in Andalucía there are quite a few yurt hotels, or you could also use tent hotel, pop-up hotel.

The tents in the Sahara you can stay overnight in are called Sahara camps or luxury Sahara tent hotels.

"Glamping" sounds like "clamping" (requiring a lathe and a power supply).
"Chumping" sounds like spending the weekend with a bunch of complete idiots.
"Hotent" sounds like "hot tent" which is probably something very naughty.

Jo Macdonald

Birthe Omark
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you - I think I got the message ... Oct 1, 2018

Dear all answeres
Thank you so much for your comments, which incontestably shows me that the invented term 'hotent' is an absolute no go.
This is the most important message.
I also thank you for the suggestions to find another term.
I prefer Tom from London's 'Tentotel' which carries the same connotation as the Danish/Norwegian/Swedish 'HOTELT' which we have already chosen as a sort of a trademark for the concept.

Thank you all for helping me.
Greetings
... See more
Dear all answeres
Thank you so much for your comments, which incontestably shows me that the invented term 'hotent' is an absolute no go.
This is the most important message.
I also thank you for the suggestions to find another term.
I prefer Tom from London's 'Tentotel' which carries the same connotation as the Danish/Norwegian/Swedish 'HOTELT' which we have already chosen as a sort of a trademark for the concept.

Thank you all for helping me.
Greetings
Birthe
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:09
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Maybe just ... Oct 1, 2018

Tentel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone know the word 'HOTENT'?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »