KristelV
KristelV  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:07
French to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 28, 2015

Hello,
Has anyone taken the ATIO entrance exam in Canada? I will be taken it shortly and I'd like to have some extra information on the test.
Thank you.
Kristel

Ewa Olszowa
Ewa Olszowa  Identity Verified
Canada
Polish to English
+ ...
2008 Jan 29, 2015

I did back in 2008. From what I remember there were two parts - the language part was about correcting the language and grammar in the text and the other was on code of ethics - some scenarios and what would you do if...

KristelV
Canada
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ATIO entrance exam Jan 29, 2015

Ewa Olszowa wrote:

I did back in 2008. From what I remember there were two parts - the language part was about correcting the language and grammar in the text and the other was on code of ethics - some scenarios and what would you do if...

Thank you Ewa.

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
ATIO Feb 2, 2015

I did it a couple of months ago. Exactly as Ewa said, there will be a couple of texts which you have to find errors in (spelling, grammar) and then a few questions are asked about ATIO's bylaws and code of ethics. They will send you an email beforehand and tell you which parts of the bylaws and code of ethics you need to study.

Cenk Haznacı
Cenk Haznacı  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Turkish
+ ...
How long wait before the results? Jun 15, 2015

Hello everyone,

May I ask how long did you wait to get your entrance exam results? I have just taken the ATIO entrance exam yesterday and curious about the wait.

Thanks in advance

KristelV
Canada
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ATIO entrance exam Jun 16, 2015

Cenk Haznacı wrote:

Hello everyone,

May I ask how long did you wait to get your entrance exam results? I have just taken the ATIO entrance exam yesterday and curious about the wait.

Thanks in advance

Hi Cenk,

I took the test at the end of January and got the results at the end of March... so it does take quite a while.
Good luck

Kristel

Cenk Haznacı
Cenk Haznacı  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Turkish
+ ...
Oh... Jul 9, 2015

That is really long... Good to know though, thanks KristelV

It is really sloppy of ATIO not to declare this information on their website. When I asked the exam officer at the exam venue, she said they didn't tell her and that she was just a volunteer. I emailed ATIO to no avail as well... It is really difficult to get any information out of them.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:07
German to English
+ ...
some info Jul 9, 2015

I did the exams for both my language pairs a few decades ago. I was also co-marker for one of the pairs way back when, as well as a tutor for the preparatory course. Grading is done along two broad areas: "translation" = correctness of translation, "language" = the target language, with correct grammar, spelling, tone, 'not sounding like a translation' etc. It is really worth it to do the preparatory course first. when I was doing it there were three sets of two texts to translate (6 altoget... See more
I did the exams for both my language pairs a few decades ago. I was also co-marker for one of the pairs way back when, as well as a tutor for the preparatory course. Grading is done along two broad areas: "translation" = correctness of translation, "language" = the target language, with correct grammar, spelling, tone, 'not sounding like a translation' etc. It is really worth it to do the preparatory course first. when I was doing it there were three sets of two texts to translate (6 altogether) done over as many weeks. The tutor - person marking it - sends back feedback which is supposed to not only show errors, but also suggestions, pointing out weaknesses that you might want to strengthen, advice etc. It gives you a feel for what is wanted in the exam.Collapse

KristelV
Canada
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ATIO Jul 10, 2015

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

I did the exams for both my language pairs a few decades ago. I was also co-marker for one of the pairs way back when, as well as a tutor for the preparatory course. Grading is done along two broad areas: "translation" = correctness of translation, "language" = the target language, with correct grammar, spelling, tone, 'not sounding like a translation' etc. It is really worth it to do the preparatory course first. when I was doing it there were three sets of two texts to translate (6 altogether) done over as many weeks. The tutor - person marking it - sends back feedback which is supposed to not only show errors, but also suggestions, pointing out weaknesses that you might want to strengthen, advice etc. It gives you a feel for what is wanted in the exam.

Thank you Maxi.
Yes, I'm planning to do the preparatory course this year. It is a shame that they don't offer them very often though. I think it's only once a year.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ATIO entrance exam

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »