Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
In UK, does one have to put anything on the translated document to show that it is certified?
Thread poster: Ewa Erdmann
Ewa Erdmann
Ewa Erdmann  Identity Verified

English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On a different note May 10, 2010

Martin, thank you for your contribution to this topic. I totally agree with you, authorities like and very often require a seal or any other kind of 'notarisation'.
Now on a different note. Could you tell me how you became a forensic expert in English language? What kind of qualification is needed?

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:08
English to Thai
+ ...
UK Embassy in foreign countries Aug 4, 2010

I have been doing tons of translation for UK courts. I was required to certify translation of warranty writs by a UK court once since the document will be sent to Thailand for arresting a man. I did translation for an agency who hired me through Internet. I never use certified translation markings before. Some translators in Thailand can certify the translation with expensive fee that would resulted in about 2500 pounds. It was silly since the translation budget was not large enough. The agency ... See more
I have been doing tons of translation for UK courts. I was required to certify translation of warranty writs by a UK court once since the document will be sent to Thailand for arresting a man. I did translation for an agency who hired me through Internet. I never use certified translation markings before. Some translators in Thailand can certify the translation with expensive fee that would resulted in about 2500 pounds. It was silly since the translation budget was not large enough. The agency told me to visit the UK embassy in Bangkok and gave my signatures to all pages of the document. The embassy officials were very helpful and the process ended successfully without complicated procedures.

Regards,

Soonthon L.
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:08
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Respect, value, authority, appreciation Aug 5, 2010

Ewa Erdmann wrote: I do not aim to support the introduction of any changes or force anyone to buy a rubber stamp, especially that it does not make any difference to the translators themselves.
Having said that, clients do pay attention to that and they feel they receive a valuable 'product' which would be of stronger authority than the one without the potential stamp. I know it sounds a bit artificial but in the light of the discussions among translators about the profession being unappreciated, I thought that this could possibly bring some more respect and appreciation for the job that we do.

The rubber stamp doesn't make any difference for most of the clients either. For over twenty years as a translator, I have never heard any client commenting or even hinting about the lack of stamp on the translation. Particularly, as 99% of them are delivered electronically. On the other hand I think they would have been surprised and would have queried why I sent them a stamped copy if I did.

You stand by your work and your word and that is good enough. Your knowledge gives you authority and your clients will respect you for that. They value good work delivered on time, your trustworthiness and your preparedness towards them.

You may have noticed that to be taken seriously in the UK rubber stamps are not an essential requirement. I cannot recall any document I have, (marriage certificate, children's birth certificates, driving licence, car ownership, passport, deeds of the house, etc.) having a single round rubber stamp on them.

Certified translations are required in some circumstances, and it is the client who would tell you when it has to be provided. Most of these are translations of diplomas, certificates, legal documents, but not even all of these have to be certified.

Martin Stranak wrote:
I am a sworn translator for ENG and my native language, member of various professional chambers back home and even listed among forensic experts on English language for specified fields of translation by our Ministry of Justice.

I can say the English authorities like round seals and affidavits and stamps. My customers in the UK have not had any problems with this type of "notarisation" or certification, whatever you may want to call that, so far

The English authorities have no reason to object to round seals and affidavits and stamps, but they don't necessarily need them. They are usually also prepared to accept your notarisation or certification from "home" with good faith. When they require English notarisation, they will ask you to provide one.

The whole point is, respect for translators or any other profession have nothing to do with stamps. (Translators are not the only ones complaining for not being appreciated!) Value cannot be measured by the presence or lack of such superficial, outdated bureaucratic gestures.

Returning to the original question, you have to ask your Polish clients what they require for the translations you provide to be acceptable for their purposes.

[Edited at 2010-08-05 21:46 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

In UK, does one have to put anything on the translated document to show that it is certified?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »