Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:11
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 3, 2010

Hi All

I just wanted to give you a quick warning about an apparent tax fraud.

After having completed my online tax return in January all my accounts have been settled, paid and repaid, but today I received an e-mail, supposedly from hmrc, however, it turns out that this is not a legitimate hmrc e-mail address ([email protected]). I spoke to them on the phone and they confirmed it is fraudulent.
You can report (fo
... See more
Hi All

I just wanted to give you a quick warning about an apparent tax fraud.

After having completed my online tax return in January all my accounts have been settled, paid and repaid, but today I received an e-mail, supposedly from hmrc, however, it turns out that this is not a legitimate hmrc e-mail address ([email protected]). I spoke to them on the phone and they confirmed it is fraudulent.
You can report (forward) any such e-mails to [email protected]
Otherwise I´d advise you to just delete it, but don´t click on the link provided in the e-mail.

Manuela
Collapse

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:11
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Tax rebate Mar 3, 2010

Yes, I had this too but as no pig was flying past my window at the time, knew it had to be a scam.
Other clues were the repeated sendings and the lack of named recipient.
Thanks for flagging this up, Manuela.

Sonia Hill
Sonia Hill
United Kingdom
Italian to English
I've received this too Mar 3, 2010

I've received this email a few times now and it's definitely a scam as you say. It's well worth mentioning on here though, as it does look fairly authentic at first glance. Thanks for providing the address for reporting these messages.

Silvina Gospodinova
Silvina Gospodinova  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Thank you Mar 3, 2010

Thanks Manuela!

Good to know!

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Fraud with HMRC is quite common Mar 3, 2010

The HMRC keeps a list of known fraudulent e-mails claiming to be HMRC-related -- they're quite common.

The bottom line: remember if somebody offical really really really thinks you owe them money, they won't just send you a friendly e-mail, they'll take other action. E-mails from the HMRC claiming to be demands for money can be pretty much ignored.

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:11
English to Polish
+ ...
haha Mar 4, 2010

Susanna Garcia wrote:

Yes, I had this too but as no pig was flying past my window at the time, knew it had to be a scam.
Other clues were the repeated sendings and the lack of named recipient.
Thanks for flagging this up, Manuela.

Did the scammer think you'd believe in the taxman actually trying to grant you a tax rebate?

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Attention: UK tax fraud

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »