Initial enquiry: Looking for people who may be interested in renting shared office space- SW London
Thread poster: Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 23, 2010

Although my plan was to become a translator, I never really planned to work at home. However, due to the structure of the industry and the lucrative nature of freelance work, it is what i have ended up doing. I love the work, but the situation is far from ideal. I also live alone, and so at 31 years of age I find it can be very isolating.

I experimented briefly with renting a desk in central London, but the particular circumstances made it untenable.

I would like to put
... See more
Although my plan was to become a translator, I never really planned to work at home. However, due to the structure of the industry and the lucrative nature of freelance work, it is what i have ended up doing. I love the work, but the situation is far from ideal. I also live alone, and so at 31 years of age I find it can be very isolating.

I experimented briefly with renting a desk in central London, but the particular circumstances made it untenable.

I would like to put out an initial feeler therefore regarding a proposal to other translators in the area:

Would anyone be interested, if the price and conditions were right, in clubbing together and hiring a small office space somewhere in SW London (e.g. Wimbledon, perhaps Croydon; in that general area) from which we could conduct our translation businesses? We would of course remain independent freelancers, but would enjoy the social benefits of working together, picking each others' brains etc!

This is just an initial "show of hands", since if no-one is interested then there is no point taking it further. Please only reply if you ARE/MAY BE interested.

Thanks for your time.

[Edited at 2010-07-23 18:25 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Too far Jul 23, 2010

Hi Wendy- not for me I'm afraid, even though I'm in London.

Olga D.
Olga D.
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:10
Russian to English
+ ...
interested Jul 27, 2010

Hi Wendy!
I am absolutely interested. It is very difficult for me to work from home, although very much like you I like the job! I get depressed when I am by myself the whole day, and going out for lunch doesn't really help. I actually went to this forum today with the aim to post a message regarding co-working.

I went to one place in London which rents desks as well, but didn't like it very much. I think it will be much better to work together with people from the same indust
... See more
Hi Wendy!
I am absolutely interested. It is very difficult for me to work from home, although very much like you I like the job! I get depressed when I am by myself the whole day, and going out for lunch doesn't really help. I actually went to this forum today with the aim to post a message regarding co-working.

I went to one place in London which rents desks as well, but didn't like it very much. I think it will be much better to work together with people from the same industry (and similar language combinations - I see that you work with Russian!!)

But I am just starting as a full-time freelancer, so can't really afford to spend much for the rent. As an alternative, is there also someone potentially interested in just meeting and working together at the cafe or library?

Or may be someone can advise some already existing coworking place for translators in London?
Collapse

John Farebrother
John Farebrother  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
potentially interested Jul 27, 2010

I think it's a great idea, apart from the cost. But if there's a few of us maybe it will be acceptable.
Have you looked at anywhere? Do you have any idea of the cost?

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
Too far for me as well Jul 27, 2010

I'd prefer West London, W4.
Olga, what's your location (you can reply in a private message)? It would be nice to get together, I think.

Wendy Cummings
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
economies of scale Jul 27, 2010

The hope is to get enough people (but how many is enough?!) to make it economically viable. This will, of course, be the deciding factor.

There are two sides to that: location (travelling costs) and premises costs.

I suggested a place like Wimbledon or Croydon as they are both highly convenient for me, and are generally good transport hubs for SW London. My only indications as to price are taken from adverts on Gumtree for office space to rent.

A COMPLETEL
... See more
The hope is to get enough people (but how many is enough?!) to make it economically viable. This will, of course, be the deciding factor.

There are two sides to that: location (travelling costs) and premises costs.

I suggested a place like Wimbledon or Croydon as they are both highly convenient for me, and are generally good transport hubs for SW London. My only indications as to price are taken from adverts on Gumtree for office space to rent.

A COMPLETELY RANDOM EXAMPLE:

400sqft Office Space to rent in Wimbledon,SW19 Up to 8 People
We are web and graphic agency based in Wimbledon with a 400sqft office, toilet and kitchen suite, to rent in our bright, friendly, smart offices.

Only minutes from Wimbledon mainline/underground station and other transport links. Close proximity to A3 and free on road parking nearby.

The office is available to rent at £995.00 per month including business rates, broadband, heating, lighting, 5 desks and chairs, storage space, cleaning, small kitchen area with fridge and microwave and BT Redcare. There is also a meeting room that can be booked by arrangement.
£995 per month = £125 per person, per month
Collapse

Wendy Cummings
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
INTERESTED PARTIES only - please! Jul 27, 2010

I repeat - please only post if you ARE interested.

Olga D.
Olga D.
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:10
Russian to English
+ ...
£125 per month doesn't sound too much Jul 28, 2010

For this kind of price I am definitely interested.
Croydon/Wimbledon does sound a bit too far though. If it is more central, may be more people could consider the idea? Understand though that it would be more expensive!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Initial enquiry: Looking for people who may be interested in renting shared office space- SW London

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »