Thread poster: inkweaver
inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:57
French to German
+ ...
Aug 5, 2010

After quite a lot of consideration, I have finally decided to enrol for the MA/PG Diploma in Translation distance learning course offered by the University of West England.

I have just had a look at the Postgraduate Application form which would not really pose a problem except for the fact that I would need to name two referees and at least one of them should be able to comment on my academic/professional ability.

I was assuming/hoping that the fact that I hold a BA (H
... See more
After quite a lot of consideration, I have finally decided to enrol for the MA/PG Diploma in Translation distance learning course offered by the University of West England.

I have just had a look at the Postgraduate Application form which would not really pose a problem except for the fact that I would need to name two referees and at least one of them should be able to comment on my academic/professional ability.

I was assuming/hoping that the fact that I hold a BA (Hons) degree in Combined Arts and have been working as a freelance translator for 2.5 years would speak for itself and I have honestly no idea whom to name as a referee. A former employer? I graduated in 1991 so I can't really ask one of my former lecturers for a reference. Except for the fact that I can't really think of anyone to ask, I would also be reluctant to do so since writing a reference does take quite a bit of time which most people don't really have.

Any ideas who might be a suitable person to ask? TIA.
Collapse

Andy Walker
Andy Walker  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:57
Japanese to English
Contact the admissions people Aug 5, 2010

Hello

I would first contact the admissions people at the university and explain your situation. You could come up with a couple of ideas for referees (maybe someone from an agency that you've worked for who'll vouch for your skills/reliability as a translator, and someone you worked for before you became a freelance) and ask them if these will be acceptable.

If you're signing up for an MA and you're suitably qualified, the university will be looking to accept rather tha
... See more
Hello

I would first contact the admissions people at the university and explain your situation. You could come up with a couple of ideas for referees (maybe someone from an agency that you've worked for who'll vouch for your skills/reliability as a translator, and someone you worked for before you became a freelance) and ask them if these will be acceptable.

If you're signing up for an MA and you're suitably qualified, the university will be looking to accept rather than reject you, so they should be happy to advise.

HTHAL
Andy
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

References for university applications

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »