Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
"(issue) a positive advice" (is this correct?)
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
784512 (X)
784512 (X)
Germany
Local time: 20:53
German to English
+ ...
It is more or less the same in German Jan 8, 2011

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

It should have ended with:

The reason I am asking is that in Dutch, there is a very common phrase "een positief advies", and I was wondering about "a positive advice", but people tell me that it cannot be used like this, i.e., you can issue advice, but not an advice.

However, I come across it quite often, and have always wondered whether it was not in fact correct in some mysterious and complicated way I had never heard of;)

Can someone please help me to clear this up once and for all?

Thank you,

Michael J.W. Beijer

NB The examples above are copy/pasted straight from the internet and so contain spelling errors.

Hi Michael

It is more or less the same in German, and the advice given by others still stands. Funnily enough, you don't see it that often in German to English translations, though. I wonder if this is because more bilingual texts between Dutch and English are translated by non-natives?

Anyway, it looks cleared up now.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

"(issue) a positive advice" (is this correct?)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »