How much should I charge for a translation Eng>Fr?
Thread poster: potto
Oct 1, 2010

Hello everyone,

I am not a professional translator, just a language student.

A friend of a friend approached me for a translation from English to French of their website.
It is not huge, but has approx 20 web pages. It is quite technical since it is about wooden flooring.

I am a native French speaker and have been learning English for 10 years. Translation/Interpretation is part of my course so I have already some method.

Could you guys
... See more
Hello everyone,

I am not a professional translator, just a language student.

A friend of a friend approached me for a translation from English to French of their website.
It is not huge, but has approx 20 web pages. It is quite technical since it is about wooden flooring.

I am a native French speaker and have been learning English for 10 years. Translation/Interpretation is part of my course so I have already some method.

Could you guys please give me an indicator of how much I should charge?
Thanks!!
Collapse

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:48
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
being here makes you a professional translator Oct 2, 2010

accepting a job for a friend of a friend, which he/she will then use to obtain clients/sell products, etc, makes you a professional translator

providing a technical translation of a commercial website makes you a professional translator.

If your friend of a friend wants a professional translation he is looking for a professional translator

if this is not home work, it's a job - and you should not do it for a bottle of wine and 2 theater tickets....
<
... See more
accepting a job for a friend of a friend, which he/she will then use to obtain clients/sell products, etc, makes you a professional translator

providing a technical translation of a commercial website makes you a professional translator.

If your friend of a friend wants a professional translation he is looking for a professional translator

if this is not home work, it's a job - and you should not do it for a bottle of wine and 2 theater tickets....

Just think about the number of hours you are going to spend on this, and what you would make as a cleaner, and then think why did I spend so much time in school, university, or on your language courses....
So, you will just have to learn to charge a normal fee like the rest of us, somewhere between 0,10 and 0,15 for agencies, and 0,12 - 0,22 for end users)....

(also remind the friend of a friend that this is an investment and his ROI will be at least 10 x the initial amount he spend on the translation, as soon as the first client calls in after they read the perfectly translated website)...

- Now you might accept the job for 0,18 or something and get a professional translator to proofread it afterwards for a certain fee...so you have professional feedback on your translation...

Ed
Collapse

potto
potto
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Oct 2, 2010

Edward Vreeburg wrote:

Just think about the number of hours you are going to spend on this, and what you would make as a cleaner, and then think why did I spend so much time in school, university, or on your language courses....
So, you will just have to learn to charge a normal fee like the rest of us, somewhere between 0,10 and 0,15 for agencies, and 0,12 - 0,22 for end users)....

(also remind the friend of a friend that this is an investment and his ROI will be at least 10 x the initial amount he spend on the translation, as soon as the first client calls in after they read the perfectly translated website)...

- Now you might accept the job for 0,18 or something and get a professional translator to proofread it afterwards for a certain fee...so you have professional feedback on your translation...

Ed

Thanks Ed for replying.
I don't understand the rate, is it per word or..?

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 03:48
Japanese to English
Good idea Oct 2, 2010

Do you have or have you ever had a part-time job? How much did you get paid per hour? Add a little more to it and then estimate how many hours it would take you to finish this job.
It's not a perfect system, but it's a good way for a 'non-professional' to determine much their time is worth and what limits they won't go below.

E.g. if you're paid 10€ an hour and it would take 40 hours to finish this job, you can charge him from 400€ upwards. Don't sell yourself short just
... See more
Do you have or have you ever had a part-time job? How much did you get paid per hour? Add a little more to it and then estimate how many hours it would take you to finish this job.
It's not a perfect system, but it's a good way for a 'non-professional' to determine much their time is worth and what limits they won't go below.

E.g. if you're paid 10€ an hour and it would take 40 hours to finish this job, you can charge him from 400€ upwards. Don't sell yourself short just because he's your friend, or it'll be you ripping your hair out behind the screen at 4am wondering why you ever took this job.
Collapse

potto
potto
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 3, 2010

TransAfrique wrote:

E.g. if you're paid 10€ an hour and it would take 40 hours to finish this job, you can charge him from 400€ upwards. Don't sell yourself short just because he's your friend, or it'll be you ripping your hair out behind the screen at 4am wondering why you ever took this job.

Thank you TransAfrique for your advice!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How much should I charge for a translation Eng>Fr?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »