Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:55
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 7, 2011

For the last couple of years, I have been talking to 15-year old girls at Kesteven & Sleaford High School in Lincolnshire (NG34 7RS) about careers in languages at their 'World of Work event'. Since I am already booked on an interpreting assignment on the 8th of February this year, I would like to find a stand-in for just this year.
All representatives from different professions will be at tables in the school hall and to achieve a smoothly running event, the students are allocated to the
... See more
For the last couple of years, I have been talking to 15-year old girls at Kesteven & Sleaford High School in Lincolnshire (NG34 7RS) about careers in languages at their 'World of Work event'. Since I am already booked on an interpreting assignment on the 8th of February this year, I would like to find a stand-in for just this year.
All representatives from different professions will be at tables in the school hall and to achieve a smoothly running event, the students are allocated to the various speakers for each session. You would take five sessions with approx. 6 students each, talk about aspects of your work, and answer questions. I could share an overview of what I discussed in other years, but you would obviously base it on your own experience.
---
The learning objectives of the students are:
• Understand the career motivations and pathways taken by people in different employment sectors
• Understand the importance to employers of attitudes, qualifications and skills
• Appreciate working practices in different employment sectors
• Appreciate the chief characteristics of employment, self-employment, unemployment and voluntary work
• Recognize the concept of the labour market (local, national, European and global)
• Understand the main trends in employment in their local area and relate these to their career plans.
• Understand key enterprise concepts in self-employment
• Recognise the main enterprise skills, attitudes and qualities - eg investigation, open-mindedness, teamwork, and leadership.
---
I have found it a hugely rewarding event - although not financially, since speakers are there on a voluntary basis. Secondary school pupils know so very little about careers in languages.
Hopefully, one of you will express an interest, because the school is still desperately looking for a linguist.

Feel free to contact me with any questions, because I have other useful information about the event. The organiser at the school is Mrs Carol James.

Anne

Anne Lee, tel 01536-517500
[email protected]
Collapse

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:55
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Suitable stand-in found. Thanks for all your responses. Jan 7, 2011

Thank you so much to everyone who responded. It shows, once again, how effective this forum is. I have found someone who doesn't live too far away and who has experience in this sort of thing.

Problem solved!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Linguist sought to talk to secondary school pupils in Lincolnshire on 8/2/11

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »