jancapper
jancapper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:06
German to English
+ ...
Jan 12, 2011

Hi

Can anyone recommend a particular supplier of professional indemnity insurance, i.e. good package, price, service...?

Thanks
Jan

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
ITI Jan 12, 2011

The ITI (Institute of Translation and Interpreting) have a scheme tailored for translators and Interpreters who are members of ITI.

Chakir Mahjo (X)
Chakir Mahjo (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
professional indemnity insurance Jan 12, 2011

Dear Peter,

What about the Chartered institute of linguistics. Do they offer professional indemnity insurance

Kind Regards

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:06
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
ITI's one Jan 12, 2011

Peter Linton wrote:
The ITI (Institute of Translation and Interpreting) have a scheme tailored for translators and Interpreters who are members of ITI.

Actually, their scheme isn't theirs at all, and it's not tailored for ITI either. But it is specifically for translators, and ITI is speficially mentioned on the insurer's web site:

http://www.m-f-l.co.uk/default.asp?contentid=94

I suspect any translator can apply for it. The PDFs on the above page gives a good idea of the types of things one has to fill out on a form when applying for professional indemnity insurance. What's nice about this insurer is that "translator" is one of their insurced caregories. A lot of insurers don't have a category for translators but lump translators under an "other" category, which means the insurer may not be familiar with translators' needs.

Monica Cecere
Monica Cecere  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Italian
+ ...
ITI members get the indemnity insurance at a discounted rate Jan 12, 2011

I have just done a research for myself. I confirm what Samuel says, anyone can apply to the insurance advertised by ITI, but if you become a ITI member the insurance premium is much much cheaper.

Monica

Katie01
Katie01  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
McParland Finn Ltd Jan 12, 2011

MFL offer a policy for "Linguistic Professions".

They are based in Manchester: www.m-f-l.co.uk

Might be worth getting a comparative quote.

Kate

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Useless expense Jan 12, 2011

Every time this subject comes up, a it does with some frequency, I ask if anyone has ever been aware of a translator who has faced professional liability issues. I have yet to hear of such a case at any time or place. Here I would once again ask the same.

Thus it would seem that professional indemnity insurance is a usless expense, and many others have agreed with this opinion.

On the other hand, you might do better insuring yourself against the risk of being trampled b
... See more
Every time this subject comes up, a it does with some frequency, I ask if anyone has ever been aware of a translator who has faced professional liability issues. I have yet to hear of such a case at any time or place. Here I would once again ask the same.

Thus it would seem that professional indemnity insurance is a usless expense, and many others have agreed with this opinion.

On the other hand, you might do better insuring yourself against the risk of being trampled by a herd of buffalo.
Collapse

Pernille Chapman
Pernille Chapman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Danish
+ ...
Agree with Henry... Jan 13, 2011

...except that I have occasionally come across clients whose standard terms and conditions specifically state that their translators must have this type of insurance. Usually, this is not a problem; I inform them that I cannot accept this part of the document, and they are then willing to leave out the paragraph in question. But recently, a potential client in the US insisted that all suppliers had to sign their T&C as it stands. As this included a clause which would have left me liable for any ... See more
...except that I have occasionally come across clients whose standard terms and conditions specifically state that their translators must have this type of insurance. Usually, this is not a problem; I inform them that I cannot accept this part of the document, and they are then willing to leave out the paragraph in question. But recently, a potential client in the US insisted that all suppliers had to sign their T&C as it stands. As this included a clause which would have left me liable for any future claims from end clients, my contact eventually agreed that I should not be included in their database after all. Not a huge problem for me personally, but I appreciate that others might find this kind of demand quite daunting if it means missing out on immediate work. Also, some colleagues have mentioned that they have noticed more and more of these clauses popping up in terms and conditions, especially those documents originating in the US...Collapse

jancapper
jancapper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All good points.... Jan 13, 2011

Thanks for your very helpful feedback. I do consultancy work as well and there, too, some contracts leave you open to claims, however unlikely, that could ultimately take away your personal assets. I'll continue researching and if I find out anything interesting I'll post again.

Jan

Mariella Bonelli
Mariella Bonelli  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
It depends... Jan 21, 2011

Henry Hinds wrote:

Many years ago a colleague made a mistake in translating the name of an equipment stated inside an offer. For German-speaking people, it was something like "Rollenbahn" instead of " Förderband". Actually, she was surely used to translate both of them on a regular basis and she probably got confused (I've seen the rest of the translation and she was far from inexperienced). Nevertheless, the firm had to pay something like € 10,000 for modifications and this amount was then paid partly by the firm itself and partly by the agency, which was insured.
Another time a usually skilled colleague translated "fortieth anniversary" instead of "fiftieth anniversary". This text was for a DVD recording on the occasion of the firm's anniversary. Unluckily the mistake was noticed just after the voiceover, so that the job had to be redone. Not such a big amount in this case, but the insurance paid the fee.
What I want to say is that usually agencies have their own insurance, so if translators don't sign a specific commitment, in theory they shouldn't be asked for reimbursement. The problem arises when we work with direct clients. In this case I would warmly suggest to have an insurance because no guardian angel is going to pay for us.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Professional indemnity insurance advice sought

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »