Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:13
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Aug 31, 2011

For my holiday I'm looking for a prepaid phone card which would allow me to surf the net efficiently on the road. I have looked at some providers, but cannot find the right stuff. I would need a sim card for the UK and would use my main card on a second mobile for incoming calls and SMS. How do the call it in the UK what I'm looking for?

Mette Melchior
Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:13
English to Danish
+ ...
Pay as you go Aug 31, 2011

Hi Heinrich

You can buy a pay-as-you-go sim card from one of the providers who offer a free data package everytime you top up. Many of the providers have a scheme where you get a free amount of texts, calls or data every time you top up the card.

I have a prepaid card for O2 and get 500 MB data and 300 texts which are valid for a month every time I top up with min. 10 GBP and with that you will have access to the internet right away. You can see more about this offer he
... See more
Hi Heinrich

You can buy a pay-as-you-go sim card from one of the providers who offer a free data package everytime you top up. Many of the providers have a scheme where you get a free amount of texts, calls or data every time you top up the card.

I have a prepaid card for O2 and get 500 MB data and 300 texts which are valid for a month every time I top up with min. 10 GBP and with that you will have access to the internet right away. You can see more about this offer here and buy the sim card from an O2 shop when you arrive in the UK: http://freesim.o2.co.uk/GiD7nzGu

Orange, Vodafone and others have similar offers.
Collapse

María Ferreiro
María Ferreiro  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tesco Mobile Sep 1, 2011

Hi Heinrich,

There is great deal if you get a PAYG SIM from Tesco Mobile (unlimited browsing for £2/week). They offer a great coverage since they share O2's network.

Here you'll find more details here.

Hope it helps!
María

[Edited at 2011-09-01 11:19 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Prepaid data for smartphone in the UK

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »