coworking space for translators in London
Thread poster: nynkehendriks
nynkehendriks
nynkehendriks  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:27
Apr 27, 2014

Hello,

Are you tired of working from home and looking for a more inspiring work environment with fellow translators in London?

I would like to set up or join a coworking space for translators in London and would love to hear from you. Before moving to London three and a half years ago, I lived in Amsterdam where I set up such a space with 7 fellow freelancers and it was a great place to work, I miss it and would like to embark on a similar quest in London for an ideal
... See more
Hello,

Are you tired of working from home and looking for a more inspiring work environment with fellow translators in London?

I would like to set up or join a coworking space for translators in London and would love to hear from you. Before moving to London three and a half years ago, I lived in Amsterdam where I set up such a space with 7 fellow freelancers and it was a great place to work, I miss it and would like to embark on a similar quest in London for an ideal work place.

Ideally it would be a shared space for 6 to 10 translators depending on interest. Approximate cost estimate: 250 pounds per month including Internet and bills. Probably in the Kings X area for its accessibility from different parts of London, but area to be decided, depending on interest.

If you are interested or would like more information, please contact me at [email protected]

Nynke
Collapse

Hannah Doyle
Hannah Doyle  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:27
French to English
+ ...
I'm in! Jun 19, 2014

Hello Nynke,

I'm not sure if you're still around, but I sent you an email!

For any other London-based translators out there interested in doing something like this, please feel free to send me a message.

I've already found some very inexpensive (50 GBP/month) space that is fairly central, which could be perfect for a group of us to meet 2/3 times a week.

Hannah

maxokoop
maxokoop
United Kingdom
Chinese to English
Plus. Jul 11, 2014

Hi Nynke and all,

You will be appreciated if vacancy for me can be kept for similar thing, my contact is [email protected] and my pair is Chinese English with more than 20 years on lots of subjects.

Maxo

Alex Bradbury
Alex Bradbury
French to English
+ ...
Translator coworking in London May 28, 2017

This is an old thread, but did any of you end up setting up a coworking space for translators? Or is there anyone else out there with such a space / interested in creating one? I'm a London-based freelancer (German/French>English) who'd love to be part of a little translator community, even if it's just sharing office space and the occasional chinwag over a coffee. And I wouldn't be averse to some collaboration if the opportunity arose... See more
This is an old thread, but did any of you end up setting up a coworking space for translators? Or is there anyone else out there with such a space / interested in creating one? I'm a London-based freelancer (German/French>English) who'd love to be part of a little translator community, even if it's just sharing office space and the occasional chinwag over a coffee. And I wouldn't be averse to some collaboration if the opportunity arose My email is [email protected].Collapse

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
London translators May 29, 2017

Alex Bradbury wrote:

This is an old thread, but did any of you end up setting up a coworking space for translators? Or is there anyone else out there with such a space / interested in creating one? I'm a London-based freelancer (German/French>English) who'd love to be part of a little translator community, even if it's just sharing office space and the occasional chinwag over a coffee. And I wouldn't be averse to some collaboration if the opportunity arose My email is [email protected].

Hey Alex,

I don't live in London myself but a translator friend of mine recently moved there and was looking for something similar (he also does German>English along with a slew of Scandinavian languages). Do you mind if I pass on your email address to him and he can get in touch with you if he's still interested?

Nema Alaraby
Nema Alaraby
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Is this still on? Feb 12, 2018

Hi all,

I moved to London 6 months ago and am also interested in a coworking space to meet other people and work together. I do EnglishArabic translations.

my email is [email protected]

Let me know if it's still on so I can join you!

Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 02:27
Chinese
Does anyone have any experience to share? Feb 12, 2018

Does anyone have any experience to share regarding the pros and cons? Has anyone done it?

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:27
French to English
yes Feb 14, 2018

Guofei_LIN wrote:

Does anyone have any experience to share regarding the pros and cons? Has anyone done it?

For a while, I was sharing with another translator (former colleague) and a couple of software developers.

It was a great experience. My former colleague and I continued to work along the same lines as when we worked opposite each other in our former office, picking each other's brains and proofreading each other. The software developers had a similar setup, and like us, tended to work in total silence. They would help us with our IT problems and we would help them with language issues (neither could speak French, so that meant translating letters from government offices etc.)

We all got along really well and after working in silence together would natter non-stop through lunch-time and then we'd have a drink together after work on occasion too. It was great to be able to vent to someone who could understand, and to celebrate our small victories together too.

Then one of the developers found another job where he had to go into their office, and the other moved, my former colleague decided to work from home now that her children are at school and so it all fell apart. Now I'm back translating at home like when my children were babies. Only difference is that the baby is feline.

Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 02:27
Chinese
Thanks for sharing the experience Feb 28, 2018

Texte Style wrote:
For a while, I was sharing with another translator (former colleague) and a couple of software developers.

It was a great experience. My former colleague and I continued to work along the same lines as when we worked opposite each other in our former office, picking each other's brains and proofreading each other. The software developers had a similar setup, and like us, tended to work in total silence. They would help us with our IT problems and we would help them with language issues (neither could speak French, so that meant translating letters from government offices etc.)

We all got along really well and after working in silence together would natter non-stop through lunch-time and then we'd have a drink together after work on occasion too. It was great to be able to vent to someone who could understand, and to celebrate our small victories together too.

Then one of the developers found another job where he had to go into their office, and the other moved, my former colleague decided to work from home now that her children are at school and so it all fell apart. Now I'm back translating at home like when my children were babies. Only difference is that the baby is feline.

Glad to see some real experience in this area, thanks! I'm trying to give it a go in my city in Australia and any tips are welcome.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

coworking space for translators in London

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »