Ellh Karlaouzos- Gaston  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:15
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Nov 7, 2020

Hi,

We're moving to the uk (yes during lockdown unfortunately) and I have to close my business in my country and continue to work from the uk. My problem is that I can't have an appointment to a jobcenterplus to get a nin number (because of the covid restrictions).

Can I still work until the situation is resolved?
Do I have to register to the HMRC as soon as I start even without a nin number (if that's possible)
Also, are there special mentions to be inclu
... See more
Hi,

We're moving to the uk (yes during lockdown unfortunately) and I have to close my business in my country and continue to work from the uk. My problem is that I can't have an appointment to a jobcenterplus to get a nin number (because of the covid restrictions).

Can I still work until the situation is resolved?
Do I have to register to the HMRC as soon as I start even without a nin number (if that's possible)
Also, are there special mentions to be included in the invoices?

I'm working as a freelancer 20 years now so i have steady clients and have to be able to continue working.

Thanks for your help,
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Call the National Insurance number application line to ask for an application form Nov 7, 2020

You don't need to go to a Job Centre.

See this link:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

then scroll down to "How to apply"

"After you apply, it can take up to 8 weeks to get your National Insurance number. You will not need to have a face-to-face interview at the moment because of coronavirus (COVID-
... See more
You don't need to go to a Job Centre.

See this link:

"After you apply, it can take up to 8 weeks to get your National Insurance number. You will not need to have a face-to-face interview at the moment because of coronavirus (COVID-19)."

Explore the HMRC website. It's very helpful.

[Edited at 2020-11-07 15:08 GMT]
Collapse

Ellh Karlaouzos- Gaston
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I saw that Nov 7, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

See this link,

"After you apply, it can take up to 8 weeks to get your National Insurance number. You will not need to have a face-to-face interview at the moment because of coronavirus (COVID-19)."

[Edited at 2020-11-07 15:07 GMT]

Thanks Tom, I saw that, though i'm not sure about the not need to have a face to face interview.

I was about to pay a private society that forwards the application to the jobcenter, (I can't speak over the phone (that's my biggest issue). I've done that in the past for another person because it was impossible to reach them but if there's no appointement needed....

My question is if I have the right to work until I have a nin number ?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
FIrst Nov 7, 2020

First, note what the HMRC website says; You can start work without a National Insurance number if you can prove you can work in the UK.

I wouldn't pay a private company to do something you can perfectly easily do yourself. There are vultures out there who will take advantage of people. Don't necessarily take any advice they may give you about needing someone to go to the JobCentre on your behalf.

For now, all you need is call 0800 141 2075 and ask for a NI Number appli
... See more
First, note what the HMRC website says; You can start work without a National Insurance number if you can prove you can work in the UK.

I wouldn't pay a private company to do something you can perfectly easily do yourself. There are vultures out there who will take advantage of people. Don't necessarily take any advice they may give you about needing someone to go to the JobCentre on your behalf.

For now, all you need is call 0800 141 2075 and ask for a NI Number application form. Then send it back together with the required documentation (which will be specified on the form).

Second: the deadline for filing 2019-2020 tax returns is 31 January. Unless you were working in the UK before 05 April 2020, you do not need to file a return.

The current tax year will not end until 05 April 2020 (CORRECTION: 2021). You will not need to have a NI number until after that date, when HMRC will send you a Self-Assessment Tax Return.

My advice, for now, would be to apply for a NI number, keep a record of your application, and work normally, issuing invoices in the usual way.

You will find that despite its many faults, dealing with your tax affairs in the UK is quite straightforward and you can trust the information you get on the HMRC website.

HOwever it is important do keep all your records correctly. I would advise you to find a small accountant here, to make sure you are getting everything right. There is a large French community here; I would suggest that you get in touch with them. They will help you.

[Edited at 2020-11-07 19:46 GMT]
Collapse

Ellh Karlaouzos- Gaston
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you ! Nov 7, 2020

Thanks for the advice !! you're right.
(I suppose you meant 5 april 2021 for the tax income of 2020.)

I'll start in december 2020 in the uk.
We'll do as you say, call them and ask for the form to be sent and try to find an accountant.

Are there any special mentions to put in the invoices? ( in France you have to indicate your society number, late payment penalties, vat numbers etc.).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Apologies Nov 7, 2020

Ellh Karlaouzos- Gaston wrote:

Thanks for the advice !! you're right.
(I suppose you meant 5 april 2021 for the tax income of 2020.)

I'll start in december 2020 in the uk.
We'll do as you say, call them and ask for the form to be sent and try to find an accountant.

Are there any special mentions to put in the invoices? ( in France you have to indicate your society number, late payment penalties, vat numbers etc.).

Apologies for the wrong date!

You don't need a VAT number in the UK unless you expect your income to be more than £85,000.

Invoices can be very simple. Here's a example of one of mine:

Screen Shot

Ellh Karlaouzos- Gaston
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It can't be more simple Nov 7, 2020

[quote]Tom in London wrote:

You don't need a VAT number in the UK unless you expect your income to be more than £85,000.

Invoices can be very simple. Here's a example of one of mine:

Screen Shot

Haha...85 000...hem...no I don't think so, even if I can work as an octopus...

Thanks for the sample ! indeed it's very simple !!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Brexit Nov 7, 2020

One more question: Brexit becomes effective on 31 December. What is your residency status in the UK? Personally I'd like you to feel welcome but unfortunately we have a government that probably wouldn't.

[Edited at 2020-11-08 10:21 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Take a holiday prior to moving? Nov 8, 2020

When I say take a holiday, I mean a busman's holiday. You have the right to continue to invoice from your French registered business for up to three months, as you could be spending that time in another member state without registering there. So you could use your details in France until you're all set up in the UK. That's what I did when we moved from France to Spain. I believe it was totally legal.

Ellh Karlaouzos- Gaston
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On the way... Nov 8, 2020

Good morning we're on the status of...packaging...we'll be there in 2 weeks. I'm aware we'll have to ask for a temporary resident permit but from what I saw we have until june 21 (provided we enter the country before 31 of december).

as for us, as translators, does the brexit changes something relating to our UE clients ?

Ellh Karlaouzos- Gaston
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't think so Nov 8, 2020

Sheila Wilson wrote:

When I say take a holiday, I mean a busman's holiday. You have the right to continue to invoice from your French registered business for up to three months, as you could be spending that time in another member state without registering there. So you could use your details in France until you're all set up in the UK. That's what I did when we moved from France to Spain. I believe it was totally legal.

I don't think it's possible as my appartment will be rented to someone else, I won't have any adress in France. Besides, with Brexit coming next month I'm not sure it would be considered in the UE.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Foreign income Nov 8, 2020

.....my appartment will be rented to someone else.

This means that you will have to declare your foreign income (the rent for your French apt and anything else you earn in France such as bank interest etc.)

Make sure you keep all the relevant documentation.

[Edited at 2020-11-08 13:22 GMT]

Ellh Karlaouzos- Gaston
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No french income Nov 8, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

This means that you will have to declare your foreign income (the rent for your French apt and anything else you earn in France such as bank interest etc.)

The appartment is not mine...I meant that I wouldn't have any business address in France. I won't have any other income besides my clients in France (for which I'll keep records as I do now).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
OK Nov 8, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

The appartment is not mine...I meant that I wouldn't have any business address in France. I won't have any other income besides my clients in France (for which I'll keep records as I do now).

Oh, I see.

I have two sources of foreign income: two Italian pensions. I record this as "foreign income".

However, income from clients (wherever they are - in France or elsewhere) is income you earned in the UK and is therefore NOT foreign income. Just to be clear.

Sheila Wilson
Ellh Karlaouzos- Gaston

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Oh yes, Brexit! Nov 8, 2020

I don't think it's possible as my appartment will be rented to someone else, I won't have any adress in France. Besides, with Brexit coming next month I'm not sure it would be considered in the UE.

For just a moment there I forgot about Brexit -- how, I don't know! But I'd personally use the address in France for the few weeks until the transition period ends. Just to give yourself some time to set things up. I don't suppose your clients actually send anything to your postal address, do they? And I imagine you're having your post redirected for a while anyway.

Ellh Karlaouzos- Gaston
Agneta Pallinder

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Moving soon in the UK- right to work nin number

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »