marisa2
marisa2  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:30
English to German
+ ...
Sep 25, 2009

Dear members
I have been working with wordfast classic 5.5 for more than a year, without any problems (free version). Since yesterday it is playing up, when I try to go to the next segment I get a message "Wordfast now adds a macro to Normal.dot to run "companions". Some anti-viruses or security measures may block this step or cause MS word to crash (rare, just re-start). Continue? There are then two options, oK or cancel. Word crashes then. I run Malware to check on viruses, nothing, I re
... See more
Dear members
I have been working with wordfast classic 5.5 for more than a year, without any problems (free version). Since yesterday it is playing up, when I try to go to the next segment I get a message "Wordfast now adds a macro to Normal.dot to run "companions". Some anti-viruses or security measures may block this step or cause MS word to crash (rare, just re-start). Continue? There are then two options, oK or cancel. Word crashes then. I run Malware to check on viruses, nothing, I re-installed word and I re-installed wordfast without success. I have urgent work to do this weekend and would appreciate if anyone could help me.
Thank you for any advice.
Marisa
Collapse

SPI-Trad
SPI-Trad
Local time: 19:30
Czech to French
+ ...
maybe try to upgrade Sep 26, 2009

have you tried to install the last version (5.61k) and see if it works ?

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:30
Spanish to English
Pdf converter Sep 26, 2009

Have you recently installed a pdf converter?

If you have, you need to delete the macro it installs in word, then delete the Normal.dot and start again. That would mean having to reinstall any other macro you have afterwards.

Jamie Lucero
Jamie Lucero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:30
French to English
Result of launching companions feature Sep 26, 2009

You most likely activated the companions feature by accident. It is activated by pressing Ctrl+Alt+M twice quickly. Thus, if you are trying to activate Show Memory with Ctrl+Alt+M and your fingers linger a little too long, it is possible to activate the companions. The companions feature adds information to the default Word template, Normal.dot. However, high security may block this and cause the crash. If you can't get Wordfast to run, try closing Word and then locating and deleting the file No... See more
You most likely activated the companions feature by accident. It is activated by pressing Ctrl+Alt+M twice quickly. Thus, if you are trying to activate Show Memory with Ctrl+Alt+M and your fingers linger a little too long, it is possible to activate the companions. The companions feature adds information to the default Word template, Normal.dot. However, high security may block this and cause the crash. If you can't get Wordfast to run, try closing Word and then locating and deleting the file Normal.dot to reset it.Collapse

marisa2
marisa2  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:30
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your replies Sep 27, 2009

Thank you for your replies. I did indeed install a pdf converter some weeks ago, but did not have any problems so far. I deleted the normal.dot file, re-installed wordfast, latest version, nothing helped, also tried with Ctrl+Alt+M+M. I finally re-installed everything on my computer since I was under time pressure. Meanwhile everything works fine, besides of the fact that the shortcut ctrl+alt+right and left tab does not work anymore. Will try to fix this. Having read the posting about the pdf c... See more
Thank you for your replies. I did indeed install a pdf converter some weeks ago, but did not have any problems so far. I deleted the normal.dot file, re-installed wordfast, latest version, nothing helped, also tried with Ctrl+Alt+M+M. I finally re-installed everything on my computer since I was under time pressure. Meanwhile everything works fine, besides of the fact that the shortcut ctrl+alt+right and left tab does not work anymore. Will try to fix this. Having read the posting about the pdf converter, I am now hesitating to re-install it. How would I delete the macro that it generates in word?
Thank you again for your useful tips.
Collapse

Daniel Grau
Daniel Grau  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
There are three methods for macros/toolbars to show up in Word Sep 29, 2009

1) The macros may be installed within your Normal.dot. This is unlikely. At any rate, if you've added customizations (key shortcuts, styles, etc.), always keep a backup.

2) The macros may be installed in the same Startup folder as Wordfast. This would be the method of choice (look for a file ending in .dot). There's no telling if once they are running they modify your Normal.dot or not. Again, this is unlikely.

3) The macros are attached to a document that you need to k
... See more
1) The macros may be installed within your Normal.dot. This is unlikely. At any rate, if you've added customizations (key shortcuts, styles, etc.), always keep a backup.

2) The macros may be installed in the same Startup folder as Wordfast. This would be the method of choice (look for a file ending in .dot). There's no telling if once they are running they modify your Normal.dot or not. Again, this is unlikely.

3) The macros are attached to a document that you need to keep open for the macros to be available. This would not be practical, though.

So there you have it. Most probably you'll find a template (.dot) has been installed in your Startup folder.

If push comes to shove, ask yourself which of is more important to you—Wordfast or the PDF converter.

Regards,

Daniel
Collapse

Frederik Reinbold
Frederik Reinbold  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
Double clicking to deactivate Wordfast companions Jun 25, 2010

Jamie Lucero wrote:
It is activated by pressing Ctrl+Alt+M twice quickly.

Hi Jamie,

Thank you much for the double clicking tip! I actually found out that deactivating the companions only works if you are in your document. So if you want to deactivate a companion, you should first click on the window of your document to make it the active window, and then do the double clicking. I don't know why, but this was not obvious to me and it took me a long while to find out...

Regards!

Fred

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
One fine day Mar 26, 2013

several weeks ago, I got the same message ("Wordfast now adds a macro to Normal.dot to run companions...") and so on. If I click Yes, Word crashes, if I click No, the companions are opened. Not very logical, though...

I've never used these companions, I do not want them and do not need them, and - which is worst - I am under the impression that they slow down Word.

Initially I thought that with a new
... See more
several weeks ago, I got the same message ("Wordfast now adds a macro to Normal.dot to run companions...") and so on. If I click Yes, Word crashes, if I click No, the companions are opened. Not very logical, though...

I've never used these companions, I do not want them and do not need them, and - which is worst - I am under the impression that they slow down Word.

Initially I thought that with a new wordfast.ini they would disappear - but they are still there!
I don't find a single setting that could relate to the opening of these unwanted and unfriendly companions.

How an earth do I get rid of them now?

This problem cost me already several hours of research, but I didn't find anything that helped. Of course, I tried also the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+M, but to no avail.

Thank you so much for any advice!

Wordfast 5.61/Word 2003
Collapse

Martin Haynes
Martin Haynes
Germany
German to English
Companion window still popping up Sep 11, 2020

Jamie Lucero wrote:

You most likely activated the companions feature by accident. It is activated by pressing Ctrl+Alt+M twice quickly. Thus, if you are trying to activate Show Memory with Ctrl+Alt+M and your fingers linger a little too long, it is possible to activate the companions. The companions feature adds information to the default Word template, Normal.dot. However, high security may block this and cause the crash. If you can't get Wordfast to run, try closing Word and then locating and deleting the file Normal.dot to reset it.

This has happened to me now with CTRL+ALT+G to show the glossary. But now I can't remove it. Everytime I start a translation and click ALT+DOWN the window pops out. I've tried CTRL+ALT+G+G but it doesn't make the window go away, it simply asks me if I want open another companion window.

Any suggestions?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Classic 5.5 crashing - urgent help needed

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »