Thread poster: eccotraduttrice
eccotraduttrice
eccotraduttrice
United States
Local time: 04:04
Italian to English
+ ...
Jan 16, 2019

I can load a local TM into my project and it works great - the first time. When I close the program and re-open it, it says it cannot load my TM due to a collection exception. I can re-load the backup copy of my TM and it works, but the next time I close and re-open the program again, I get the same error message again. How can I fix this?

Barbara Pani
Barbara Pani  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:04
English to French
+ ...
Cannot load collection exception keeps happening Jul 4, 2019

I have had the same issue on many occasions. I really need this to get fixed as I am wasting a lot of time and effort.
So far all I can do is Import an existing TM (losing the latest translations done).

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:04
English to Czech
TM file(s) inaccessible Jul 4, 2019

The cryptic error message means WFP5 cannot access the TM file(s). Have you renamed, moved, or deleted any of the TM file(s) or the folder in which they are stored? If so, this would explain why the TM became inaccessible to the software.

If you haven't touched the files, are they perhaps stored in a folder synced to the cloud (Dropbox, Google Drive etc.)? If so, the syncing process can make the files unavailable to WFP5. Even worse, when the automatic syncing process is working wit
... See more
The cryptic error message means WFP5 cannot access the TM file(s). Have you renamed, moved, or deleted any of the TM file(s) or the folder in which they are stored? If so, this would explain why the TM became inaccessible to the software.

If you haven't touched the files, are they perhaps stored in a folder synced to the cloud (Dropbox, Google Drive etc.)? If so, the syncing process can make the files unavailable to WFP5. Even worse, when the automatic syncing process is working with the files while WFP5 accesses them, the files may get corrupted. So keeping WFP5 TMs in cloud folders is strongly discouraged. If you still want to keep them in a cloud folder, make sure you always pause the syncing process while you work in WFP5 (but not all cloud services let you pause the syncing process, I believe).

[Edited at 2019-07-04 11:04 GMT]
Collapse

Barbara Pani
John Di Rico
Philippe Locquet

Barbara Pani
Barbara Pani  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:04
English to French
+ ...
Cannot load collection exception keeps happening Jul 16, 2019

Thank you David, it was indeed both of your suggestions: OneDrive and TM renamed and/or in different path (all subsequent to the cloud interferring).
I have now uninstalled OneDrive from my laptop.

Virginia Rubio
Virginia Rubio  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:04
French to Spanish
+ ...
So... Feb 28, 2020

Does it mean I lost my 11000-word job due today?

[Edited at 2020-02-28 18:54 GMT]

Joanna Scudamore-Trezek
Joanna Scudamore-Trezek  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2009)
German to English
How can I use Wordfast with One Drive? Nov 8, 2021

I, too, am getting the "collection exception" message for a glossary that Wordfast Pro 5 can't open. I believe it is because I'm using One Drive.

Apologies, I need to vent - I am beyond furious with my automatic Pro 5 upgrade from Pro 3 which did everything I ever needed.... reorganising all my files was time-consuming enough; I hate having all my previous translated files presented to me when I open a "project" (for me a client for whom I translate frequently) - why do I need to s
... See more
I, too, am getting the "collection exception" message for a glossary that Wordfast Pro 5 can't open. I believe it is because I'm using One Drive.

Apologies, I need to vent - I am beyond furious with my automatic Pro 5 upgrade from Pro 3 which did everything I ever needed.... reorganising all my files was time-consuming enough; I hate having all my previous translated files presented to me when I open a "project" (for me a client for whom I translate frequently) - why do I need to see that?; I hate that the "saved as translated" file doesn't immediately offer me the original pathway from where the source file came; and now there seems to be the lack of compatibility with One Drive - which I refuse to stop using, because I need all my files backed up in the Cloud and permanently available. Surely everyone with an Office 365 subscription uses One Drive???? It worked perfectly well with Pro 3.

Urrgh! Really considering ditching Wordfast Pro 5 and trying something like CafeTrans.
Are there any One Drive workarounds? Tips anyone might have before I throw in the towel?
Many thanks
Joanna
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Suggestions, advice Nov 8, 2021

Joanna Scudamore-Trezek wrote:

Apologies, I need to vent - I am beyond furious with my automatic Pro 5 upgrade from Pro 3 which did everything I ever needed....

Why was the upgrade automatic? You can have the most current Wordfast Pro (version 6.x) and the legacy version of it (Wordfast Pro 3.x) installed on the same computer.

reorganising all my files was time-consuming enough; I hate having all my previous translated files presented to me when I open a "project" (for me a client for whom I translate frequently) - why do I need to see that?

Organizing jobs into projects offers several advantages. Instead of adding files to the same project each time, why not create a new project each time and use a previous project as a template? This creates a distinct project folder on your computer with only files related to that project. If you want to have a single project per client, I suggest modifying your preferences so that your TXLF file is saved in the same location as the source file. Under General Preferences > General, choose the option "Create TXLF file with language suffix next to the source file". Simply remove files from your "client" project in Wordfast once they are complete.

I hate that the "saved as translated" file doesn't immediately offer me the original pathway from where the source file came;

I still don't understand why that has not been fixed and it would bother me, too. However, I never use "Save File as Translated". Instead, I close the TXLF Editor and use Cleanup under the Current Project view. This has the advantage of allowing me to clean up multiple files, specify where to save translated files to, and update the TM all at the same time. It also allows me to add attributes to the TM. However, if you decide to use Cleanup, I recommend a unique project per actual project (see discussion above). Otherwise, you will have to tick Single Language Pair, then choose your target language, then tick the file(s) you want to clean up so as not to clean up (again) all the old files.
and now there seems to be the lack of compatibility with One Drive - which I refuse to stop using, because I need all my files backed up in the Cloud and permanently available. Surely everyone with an Office 365 subscription uses One Drive???? It worked perfectly well with Pro 3.

Unfortunately, the database format in Wordfast Pro has changed from a simple text file to a database. Constantly syncing a database and using it at the same time can create it and slow down your computer.
I have had to deal with the same issue and here are some solutions and advice:
1. Upload your TMs and glossaries to Wordfast Anywhere and connect to them there. Wordfast Anywhere will store your them and you can access them 99.9% of the time (caveat: Murphy's law dictates that the Wordfast Anywhere server where your databases are stored might need to be rebooted for maintenance when you need them most!). Saving them on Wordfast Anywhere has the added advantage of being to access your databases from any computer or even your phone. I had to reformat my hard drive a couple of weeks ago and was able to use Wordfast Anywhere to do a job while my computer was out of service.
2. After 15 years of translating, I have realized that after 1 or 2 weeks of having delivered a translation, I never need to access the source, bilingual or target files. Not only do my clients not pay me to store them, but they take up space, slow down my computer, and have a negative impact on the environment (especially when they are replicated multiple times in the cloud). TMs and glossaries are another story. They need to be accessible all the time and backed up. I have used Google Drive to sync files between my laptop and the cloud for nearly 10 years and only had a problem twice. The first one caused the computer to slow down to a standstill and was resolved by pausing synchronization. The second one happened more recently when I had to reformat my hard drive. Google Drive was set to stream and not mirror when I reinstalled everything and I didn't notice this. After files were "synced", meaning available for download when I wanted to use them, I tried to add TMs and glossaries and none would work. So I can imagine your panic at seeing the collection exception error. Luckily, I had made a copy of my TMs and glossaries folders a few weeks before reformatting and was able to use those during that moment of panic. Later, when I changed the setting from stream to mirror, the TMs and glossaries connected without any problems. As for One Drive, I don't think this works and would not recommend it. In short:
I don't recommend cloud solutions, but if you must, only Google Drive.
I recommend saving local TMs and glossaries to dedicated folders on your computer and backing them up to a flash or external drive on a regular (at least monthly) basis.
I recommend deleting old project files (source, bilingual, and target files) after 3 months, and if you really insist on keeping them, archive them (archive: moving older working files that are no longer in use from primary storage [e.g., computer hard drive] to other storage [e.g., external hard drive]).
Urrgh! Really considering ditching Wordfast Pro 5 and trying something like CafeTrans.
Are there any One Drive workarounds? Tips anyone might have before I throw in the towel?
Many thanks
Joanna

CafeTrans Espresso uses TXT files for the TM, so it might not pose a problem with One Drive. I'm not an expert though, so you'll have to investigate in the appropriate forum.

Joanna Scudamore-Trezek
Joanna Scudamore-Trezek  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2009)
German to English
Thanks you John Nov 9, 2021

Many thanks John for your detailed and thoughtful reply which I will go through more carefully when I have a moment. A couple of things - when I renewed my subscription there was no option to stay with Pro 3, and in the summer, I am at a more remote location where internet access is very expensive, so used sparingly. This makes cloud-based TMs a no-go. But eliminating olders files does sound sensible!
Joanna

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Wordfast Pro license is good for both version Nov 11, 2021

Hi Joanna,
You are allowed to use a single Wordfast Pro license to install both the old version (3.x) and the new version (6.x) and both of them can be installed on the same computer.
Best,
John

Matthew Garland
Matthew Garland  Identity Verified
French to English
Similar struggles Apr 22, 2022

Hi,

I'm currently struggling with similar issues. It's hugely frustrating. I am currently trying to see if I can use a backup version of my TM as the main one I use won't open at all, presumably due to One Drive issues. I have tried suspending syncing to use main TM but to no avail. Does this mean the file has been corrupted? This is really most unfortunate and I feel should have been reported to all users as a major compatibility issue... Is there any way to check if my TM has been
... See more
Hi,

I'm currently struggling with similar issues. It's hugely frustrating. I am currently trying to see if I can use a backup version of my TM as the main one I use won't open at all, presumably due to One Drive issues. I have tried suspending syncing to use main TM but to no avail. Does this mean the file has been corrupted? This is really most unfortunate and I feel should have been reported to all users as a major compatibility issue... Is there any way to check if my TM has been corrupted and/or is recoverable?

Thanks,

Matt
Collapse

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Contact the hotline Apr 22, 2022

Matthew Garland wrote:

Hi,

I'm currently struggling with similar issues. It's hugely frustrating. I am currently trying to see if I can use a backup version of my TM as the main one I use won't open at all, presumably due to One Drive issues. I have tried suspending syncing to use main TM but to no avail. Does this mean the file has been corrupted? This is really most unfortunate and I feel should have been reported to all users as a major compatibility issue... Is there any way to check if my TM has been corrupted and/or is recoverable?

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

I suggest you contact the hotline so they can attempt to repair your TM.

If you are on a PC, there is a bright red warning not to use cloud sync drives for files (TMs and glossaries included) when you install the software.

If you are on a Mac, there is no such warning and you would be right to be upset at Wordfast. I would be!

Best,
John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro 5 - cannot load TM "collection exception"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »