Thread poster: Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:24
English to German
+ ...
Sep 22, 2019

Thanks for this new version v5.11.0. Where can we find what's new in this release?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Wolfgang Sep 22, 2019

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
Thanks for this new version v5.11.0. Where can we find what's new in this release?

https://wordfast.com/support_release_notes#wfp5

Basically, three new features:
1. The nav burger menu is replaced with a side-bar
2. The TM, glossary and blacklist editors have been removed entirely
3. HTML files now show tag content instead of just tag numbers

The side-bar completely replaces the "☰ Wordfast Pro" menu, so it's rather confusing at first, particularly since there are fewer buttons on the side-bar than there were options in the "☰ Wordfast Pro" menu. There used to be links to the TXLF Editor, TM Editor, Glossary Editor, and Blacklist Editor, but now there is only a button to the TXLF Editor.

One small advantage of the side-bar is that it now makes it clearer how you're supposed to drill down from the project list down to the currently opened project's file list and then down to the currently opened file's editor view. The confusion about how this drilling down works was something that hindered my understanding of how Wordfast Pro 5 worked when I first tried to learn how to use it. Hopefully the side-bar will help new users a bit.

The side-bar contains icons only (no text), and it only shows tooltips for active icons, but that is only confusing the first time you use it. After you've opened a file, you'll see when the icons light up.

You can minimize the side-bar to about a third of its restored width, by clicking a "minimize" button at the bottom of the side-bar. There is a "restore" icon in the centre of the minimized side-bar, but you don't have to click it -- clicking anywhere on the minimized side-bar restores it. This means that it's easy to restore the side-bar by accident while resizing the window.

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Notes Sep 22, 2019

One of the most annoying things about recent versions of WF5 is that I can no longer export Notes in MS Word format. I use a simplified table of exported notes (with the columns I don't need deleted) for consulting clients over queries and as translator's notes. I hate the HTML export because copying and pasting it to Word is a pain in the backside and it has several columns that I really don't want and are just a nuisance.

Katalin Horváth McClure

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Open in LibreOffice Sep 22, 2019

B D Finch wrote:

One of the most annoying things about recent versions of WF5 is that I can no longer export Notes in MS Word format. I use a simplified table of exported notes (with the columns I don't need deleted) for consulting clients over queries and as translator's notes. I hate the HTML export because copying and pasting it to Word is a pain in the backside and it has several columns that I really don't want and are just a nuisance.

I don't use Wordfast Pro, but you may be able to open the exported HTML directly in LibreOffice Writer (instead of MS Word) and save it as DOCX, for easy sharing, after removing the unwanted columns.

[Edited at 2019-09-22 15:04 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mrs. Finch Sep 22, 2019

B D Finch wrote:
I hate the HTML export because copying and pasting it to Word is a pain and it has several columns that I really don't want and are just a nuisance.

There are several extensions available for browsers that allow you to select and copy individual columns in an HTML file in such ways that make it much more user-friendly than opening the HTML file in Word and trying to get rid of the superfluous content.

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Still too many usability issues! Sep 23, 2019

Another new version of WF Pro - this time the main change seems to be the new side bar (which I don't feel is of particular value).
But basic/simple usability issues persist, many of which I have reported via the feedback mechanism.
Here's an example: when I copy text from the source segment to paste elsewhere (usually for searching in a dictionary), it takes a whole load of meaningless formatting code with it - eg <b realtype="bold">E.B. de Vallada</b> - all th
... See more
Another new version of WF Pro - this time the main change seems to be the new side bar (which I don't feel is of particular value).
But basic/simple usability issues persist, many of which I have reported via the feedback mechanism.
Here's an example: when I copy text from the source segment to paste elsewhere (usually for searching in a dictionary), it takes a whole load of meaningless formatting code with it - eg <b realtype="bold">E.B. de Vallada</b> - all that to copy the phrase "E.B. de Vallada"!
I'd have thought the Wordfast Pro team would be actually logging the feedback they receive and fixing things rather than just ignoring them.
Collapse

Andriy Yasharov
Wolfgang Schoene

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Possible workaround? Sep 23, 2019

Comunican wrote:

when I copy text from the source segment to paste elsewhere (usually for searching in a dictionary), it takes a whole load of meaningless formatting code with it - eg E.B. de Vallada - all that to copy the phrase "E.B. de Vallada"!

As a possible workaround you could use a macro tool (AutoHotkey for Windows, Keyboard Maestro for Mac) that strips the {b realtype="bold"} and {/b}.

[Edited at 2019-09-23 08:30 GMT]

JohnWhi
JohnWhi
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:24
French to English
PDF in Mac version Sep 23, 2019

For me, this is the first Mac version to do a reasonable job of importing PDF files.

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 00:24
Formatting copy issue Sep 23, 2019

Comunican wrote:

Here's an example: when I copy text from the source segment to paste elsewhere (usually for searching in a dictionary), it takes a whole load of meaningless formatting code with it - eg E.B. de Vallada - all that to copy the phrase "E.B. de Vallada"!
I'd have thought the Wordfast Pro team would be actually logging the feedback they receive and fixing things rather than just ignoring them.

This issue in particular is very tough to fix because the way WYSIWYG works, we were able to fix this within the application to stop the formatting going to other search or text boxes within application. Outside the app we don't have control over the copied text to be pasted without the formatting.

One workaround is instead of copying segment from Source, copy it from TM Lookup text box, or you could copy from Source paste it into TM Lookup text box and copy it again before pasting it in external browser.

Hope this helps a bit and sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you,
John

John Daniel
John Daniel
TM/Glossary editor still present Sep 23, 2019

[quote]Samuel Murray wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

TM/Glossary/Blacklist editor are still present and it can be accessed via Project TM/Glossary tab.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@John Sep 23, 2019

John Daniel wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

TM/Glossary/Blacklist editor are still present and it can be accessed via Project TM/Glossary tab.

Aah, so one can only edit a TM, glossary or blacklist after creating a fake project and adding the TM, glossary or blacklist to that project?

John Daniel
John Daniel
Quick Tools Sep 23, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

John Daniel wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

Aah, so one can only edit a TM, glossary or blacklist after creating a fake project and adding the TM, glossary or blacklist to that project?

Quick tools will have complete list of TMs from your project or you can add TM in QT and use Open button to open in editor.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Found it! Sep 24, 2019

John Daniel wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
John Daniel wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

So one can only edit a TM, glossary or blacklist after creating a fake project and adding the TM, glossary or blacklist to that project?

Quick Tools will have complete list of TMs from your project or you can add TM in Quick Tools and use Open button to open in editor.

Thanks, John. The fact that you insisted that this feature is really here, made me go look for it more aggressively, and I believe I found it: it's on the "Analysis" tab, right?

The TM/glossary/blacklist editing functionality is now built into the Analysis tab. Add e.g. a TM, and then use the Button Formerly Known As Open to open it. Remember, a recent update changed all buttons to mystery meat, but the one we're looking for is this one:

open button

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found it Sep 24, 2019

Thanks, John. The fact that you insisted that this feature is really here, made me go look for it more aggressively, and I believe I found it: it's on the "Analysis" tab, right?

The TM/glossary/blacklist editing functionality is now built into the Analysis tab. Add e.g. a TM, and then use the Button Formerly Known As Open to open it. Remember, a recent update changed all buttons to
... See more

The TM/glossary/blacklist editing functionality is now built into the Analysis tab. Add e.g. a TM, and then use the Button Formerly Known As Open to open it. Remember, a recent update changed all buttons to mystery meat, but the one we're looking for is this one:

open button
[/quote]

So what's wrong with double clicking on the TM in the "Project TM" tab?
Same with the "Project Terminology" tab...
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Wolfgang Sep 24, 2019

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
So what's wrong with double clicking on the TM in the "Project TM" tab? Same with the "Project Terminology" tab.

There's nothing wrong with it, if that's the way you like it. But it means that if you want to edit a TM, and you don't have an existing project that you can add it to, then you have to create a dummy project to add it to. WFP5 recently added the ability to perform TransCheck without having to create a dummy project for the files. Why regress on the matter of editing TMs, then? Right now, the only way to edit a TM is to go to some other feature where TMs happen to be present, and then go from there.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New version of WFP5 as of today 22-9-2019

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »