Warning about 5.12.0 on Mac
Thread poster: JohnWhi
JohnWhi
JohnWhi
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:22
French to English
Nov 19, 2019

Having finished a project and exported the translated files, I saw the update to 5.12.0 and ran it on both Macs. On the iMac (2017 27-inch 40Gb memory) I opened one of the program files to check everything was there. On closing, the project showed as 40% complete. I opened the other file to check nothing was missing and, on closing, it showed 0% complete for the whole project. As I had the translated files stored in a couple of other places, I am not worried, but it gave me a fright. I sent a Fe... See more
Having finished a project and exported the translated files, I saw the update to 5.12.0 and ran it on both Macs. On the iMac (2017 27-inch 40Gb memory) I opened one of the program files to check everything was there. On closing, the project showed as 40% complete. I opened the other file to check nothing was missing and, on closing, it showed 0% complete for the whole project. As I had the translated files stored in a couple of other places, I am not worried, but it gave me a fright. I sent a Feedback to Support. They e-mailed in a matter of minutes, saying 5.12.1 would be out soon. They say the crash on closing is "still there" but I had not seen it for some months and it now occurs on both Macs. The old trick of adding a couple of lines to config.ini does not seem to help. We live and learn!Collapse

JohnWhi
JohnWhi
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Crash on closing Nov 19, 2019

More advice from the People Who Know (the helpful John S.). To avoid the crash on closing, go to the Wordfast icon at the top left, select Browser Mode, select Lightweight and restart. Never knew that!

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 05:22
Segment State and Progress Nov 19, 2019

Hi John,

We have added a new feature segment state Translated which calculates progress in 5.12. So your older projects will show up as less % based on number of Exact and Context matches in file which automatically get Translated State.

So old files if you want to see Project as 100% open the project and select all to Chain Files. Then go to Translation tab and click on Mark All Translated. Then Save and Close the file.

Hope this helps.

Thank
... See more
Hi John,

We have added a new feature segment state Translated which calculates progress in 5.12. So your older projects will show up as less % based on number of Exact and Context matches in file which automatically get Translated State.

So old files if you want to see Project as 100% open the project and select all to Chain Files. Then go to Translation tab and click on Mark All Translated. Then Save and Close the file.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
John
Collapse

JohnWhi
JohnWhi
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Nov 20, 2019

Many thanks John. Understood and tried out on a small sample, pausing in the middle. It seems to work well. Have Release Notes moved somewhere else? I can only find 5.11.1 at the usual:
https://wordfast.com/support_release_notes

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 05:22
Updated now Nov 20, 2019

JohnWhi wrote:

Many thanks John. Understood and tried out on a small sample, pausing in the middle. It seems to work well. Have Release Notes moved somewhere else? I can only find 5.11.1 at the usual:
https://wordfast.com/support_release_notes

It is updated now, sorry for the delayed update.

Here's the what's new video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq3CMLY3c_g

Thank you,
John

[Edited at 2019-11-20 22:35 GMT]

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:22
English to German
+ ...
Warning about 5.12.0 on Mac Nov 22, 2019

Here we are back to square one. I installed v5.12.0 on my Mac with OSX Mojave and WPR does not open. Again! I thought this bug had been solved, but apparently it has not.
Crash on closing may have been solved, no start on opening is back!
I edited the config.ini file as once instructed by John DR, to no avail.
My bad not caring about warnings! Disappointed!

P.S.: I copied the Wordfast.app (v5.11) from a backup to Applications on my iMac and WFP works again.

JohnWhi
JohnWhi
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Don't edit config.ini Nov 22, 2019

I was advised that one should not add the two lines to config.ini with this version. In fact, one of them is already there. Setting Browser Mode to Lightweight eliminated the only crashes I have had on two Macs with Catalina. If it won't open, you can't do this. The usual suggestions are (1) Try opening in Safe Mode, (2) Add another User to Users & Groups, open in that and try ... But I don't doubt you have tried both of these already. Probably best to stay with something that works and try 5.1... See more
I was advised that one should not add the two lines to config.ini with this version. In fact, one of them is already there. Setting Browser Mode to Lightweight eliminated the only crashes I have had on two Macs with Catalina. If it won't open, you can't do this. The usual suggestions are (1) Try opening in Safe Mode, (2) Add another User to Users & Groups, open in that and try ... But I don't doubt you have tried both of these already. Probably best to stay with something that works and try 5.12.1 when it comes out.Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
France
English to German
+ ...
Warning about 5.12.0 on Mac Nov 23, 2019

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Here we are back to square one. I installed v5.12.0 on my Mac with OSX Mojave and WPR does not open. Again! I thought this bug had been solved, but apparently it has not.

P.S.: I copied the Wordfast.app (v5.11) from a backup to Applications on my iMac and WFP works again.

Sorry, should read WFP of course...

[Edited at 2019-11-23 09:24 GMT]

Wolfgang Schoene
France
English to German
+ ...
Ehmm... Nov 27, 2019

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Sorry, should read WFP of course...

[Edited at 2019-11-23 09:24 GMT]

Not a word from Wordfast about WFP5 v5.12 failing completely...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning about 5.12.0 on Mac

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »