Thread poster: Pablo Strauss
Pablo Strauss
Pablo Strauss  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:42
French to English
Nov 27, 2019

Hello,

TLDR; How can I access the TXT (Wordfast format) version of my TM in WFP5 to share with a colleague?
--
I'm working on a project with another translator and we plan to share our TMs once a day. I have WFP 5; she has WFP 3 (corporate environment).

When I try to export my TM, it only gives me the choice to export as TMX.
When I try to find it in the actual TM folder, I find the JSON file and dvm files etc, but no TXT file of the TM.

I
... See more
Hello,

TLDR; How can I access the TXT (Wordfast format) version of my TM in WFP5 to share with a colleague?
--
I'm working on a project with another translator and we plan to share our TMs once a day. I have WFP 5; she has WFP 3 (corporate environment).

When I try to export my TM, it only gives me the choice to export as TMX.
When I try to find it in the actual TM folder, I find the JSON file and dvm files etc, but no TXT file of the TM.

I suggested she import my TMX into an existing TM, but she says on her end in WFP 3 she only has the option to import a TXT, not TMX (can't verify, don't currently have WFP3.

Any help much appreciated!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Pablo Nov 27, 2019

Pablo Strauss wrote:
I suggested she import my TMX into an existing TM, but she says on her end in WFP 3 she only has the option to import a TXT, not TMX.

In WFP3, AFAIK, there is no option to *import* a TM into another TM at all. However, you can *open* both TXT and TMX TMs. If you open a TMX TM, WFP3 will automatically convert it to TXT for you, and then you can open both the original and the new TXT TM in e.g. MS Word or a Unicode-aware text editor and simply copy/paste from the one to the other.

In WFP3, go to Translation Memory > New/Select TM. Click Add TM, then make sure the Local TM tab is active (it usually is), and click the Browse button. She'll have the option to select a TMX file. WFP3 will open it and convert it to the local TM format.

You (and she) can also use Odent's WfConverter to convert between TMX and TXT. I have no idea where to get this utility at this time, so I uploaded it here for you.

Pablo Strauss
Pablo Strauss  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:42
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 27, 2019

@Samuel Thanks so much for your generous help and for the converter! P.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFP5, Access and share TXT (Wordfast format) TM

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »