WordFast Pro 5.12.1: Is there a way to easily go to the previous/last translated segment?
Thread poster: Magali Svitex
Magali Svitex
Magali Svitex
France
Local time: 20:15
English to French
+ ...
Dec 6, 2019

Hello,
I have started working on the translation of a book and am still new at WordFast (currently using WordFast Pro 5.12.1). I try to commit my segments to the TM regularly but always end up on the last segment (#1453 --a segment that has actually been populated automatically in case this might be relevant) and I have to scroll back up to the last segment that I have translated in order to continue working.

MY QUESTION: is there a shortcut to go back to that last translated
... See more
Hello,
I have started working on the translation of a book and am still new at WordFast (currently using WordFast Pro 5.12.1). I try to commit my segments to the TM regularly but always end up on the last segment (#1453 --a segment that has actually been populated automatically in case this might be relevant) and I have to scroll back up to the last segment that I have translated in order to continue working.

MY QUESTION: is there a shortcut to go back to that last translated segment easily or at least to go from translated segment to another translated segment so that I don't have to continuously scroll all the way back up

Thanks in advance for your help
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 02:15
English to Thai
+ ...
Ctrl+Z Dec 7, 2019

Ctrl + Z in keyboard is the shortcut to go back to the last position quickly. I always use these key combination when the translated file is big or small.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Shift+F5 Dec 7, 2019

I don't use WF Pro so have no idea of this is relevant, but Shift+F5 in Word will rotate through the last 4 to 5 most recent edits.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Magali Dec 7, 2019

Magali Svitex wrote:
I try to commit my segments to the TM regularly but always end up on the last segment.

Do you mean that WFP5 jumps to the last segment every time you try to move to a new segment? That is very odd behaviour. Which keyboard shortcut to you use to move to the next segment?

I can confirm what Soonthon says: Ctrl+Z will undo the previous edit, even if that edit was in a different segment. It's not always easy to see what the undone edit is, if WFP5 jumps to the relevant segment, so you can press Ctrl+Y to "redo" the edit if you want to see what it was that WFP5 had undone.

According to WFP5's list of shortcuts, Shift+F5 should take you to the most recently edited segment, but I'm not sure if that works across sessions. Also, it would appear that you can sometimes use Shift+F5 repeatedly, if you use it in combination with Ctrl+Z.

JohnWhi
JohnWhi
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:15
French to English
Across sessions last edited segment Dec 7, 2019

I don't know if this is relevant but, further to Samuel's point about "across sessions", it is worth checking General Preferences -> Segment -> Open the last edited segment when opening a file. This means that, if you close a file and open it again, a minute or X days later, it takes you to the point where you were working. I find this has become more accurate with the last two updates.

Magali Svitex
Magali Svitex
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To clarify Dec 9, 2019

Thanks for responding!

I meant to say that when I use the "commit all" button, I end up at the last segment. Thankfully, WFP5 does not do that each time I commit one segment

Ctrl+Z or Shift+F5 does not work for me but I should probably add that I work on a mac... Ctrl+Z actually closes the file! So if there is any mac users that can help, I still welcome input. For now I'll try to keep in mind the segmen
... See more
Thanks for responding!

I meant to say that when I use the "commit all" button, I end up at the last segment. Thankfully, WFP5 does not do that each time I commit one segment

Ctrl+Z or Shift+F5 does not work for me but I should probably add that I work on a mac... Ctrl+Z actually closes the file! So if there is any mac users that can help, I still welcome input. For now I'll try to keep in mind the segments # and use cmd + G.
Collapse

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Check the keyboard shortcut in Preferences Dec 9, 2019

Magali, go to Preferences in Wordfast Pro 5, access the Shortcuts tab, and type last in the Search field. You should see the Last Modified Segment command in the list and its keyboard shortcut next it (if you want, you can even change the shortcut or assign one if there's none).

It's Shift+F5 by default on my Mac. When I press the keyboard shortcut (I actually need to press Fn+Shift+F5 with my keyboard), Wordfast takes me to the segment I last modi
... See more
Magali, go to Preferences in Wordfast Pro 5, access the Shortcuts tab, and type last in the Search field. You should see the Last Modified Segment command in the list and its keyboard shortcut next it (if you want, you can even change the shortcut or assign one if there's none).

It's Shift+F5 by default on my Mac. When I press the keyboard shortcut (I actually need to press Fn+Shift+F5 with my keyboard), Wordfast takes me to the segment I last modified. I hope that's what you are looking for!
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
To clarify Dec 13, 2019

Magali Svitex wrote:

Thanks for responding!

Ctrl+Z or Shift+F5 does not work for me but I should probably add that I work on a mac... Ctrl+Z actually closes the file! So if there is any mac users that can help, I still welcome input. For now I'll try to keep in mind the segments # and use cmd + G.

Hi
working with WFP5 on an iMac.
AFAIK the only way to go to the empty segment that follows the segment that has been translated last is either Until Fuzzy or Until No Match.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast Pro 5.12.1: Is there a way to easily go to the previous/last translated segment?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »