Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jan 24, 2020

Just upgraded to Windows 10.

In Wordfast Classic, but not in Word itself, it now leaves a double space when you ctrl-delete the word after the cursor, rather than just one space. How do I stop this please?

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:03
Polish to English
+ ...
Is this a problem? Jan 24, 2020

Looks like WF only removes the word. The space behind it remains and joins the one standing before the removed word. That's why you see double spaces.

No idea how to prevent but does it really cause any problem? Once you have finished translating and you're in the correction and edition phase, you can remove all double spaces with a single operation: find all double spaces and replace with single spaces. Like when you write anything in an editor.

HTH

neilmac

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:03
English to French
+ ...
... Jan 24, 2020

This appears to be a "feature" of the recent versions of WfC (What version of WfC are you using?), rather than Windows 10.
WfC disables Word's Smart Copy/Paste in segments. As you have noted, Smart Copy/Paste works fine when Wf is inactive. It didn't use to.

This can be verified by going to File | Options | Advanced | Cut, Copy and Paste | Settings, and re-checking the "Adjust sentence and word spacing automatically" box. When returning to the segment, Smart Copy/Paste will w
... See more
This appears to be a "feature" of the recent versions of WfC (What version of WfC are you using?), rather than Windows 10.
WfC disables Word's Smart Copy/Paste in segments. As you have noted, Smart Copy/Paste works fine when Wf is inactive. It didn't use to.

This can be verified by going to File | Options | Advanced | Cut, Copy and Paste | Settings, and re-checking the "Adjust sentence and word spacing automatically" box. When returning to the segment, Smart Copy/Paste will work, but will re-disabled in the next segment. In addition, Pasting similarly does not insert a space when the cursor is on the last letter of a word.

Very annoying indeed.

Chris S wrote:

Just upgraded to Windows 10.

In Wordfast Classic, but not in Word itself, it now leaves a double space when you ctrl-delete the word after the cursor, rather than just one space. How do I stop this please?

[Edited at 2020-01-24 14:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-01-24 14:22 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes it is a problem :-) Jan 24, 2020

It’s the latest version. Yes it is a problem and yes it is really annoying!

The whole reason I use WFC is that I know how it works and I can edit my dictation quickly and efficiently using keystrokes.

Having to delete these extra spaces is a pain. I could get used to hitting delete twice every single time, but then it would mess up my editing in other applications.

Thanks for your input. I thought it might be a setting but I’d better report it to the de
... See more
It’s the latest version. Yes it is a problem and yes it is really annoying!

The whole reason I use WFC is that I know how it works and I can edit my dictation quickly and efficiently using keystrokes.

Having to delete these extra spaces is a pain. I could get used to hitting delete twice every single time, but then it would mess up my editing in other applications.

Thanks for your input. I thought it might be a setting but I’d better report it to the developer as a bug.

[Edited at 2020-01-24 18:03 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorted! Jan 27, 2020

I contacted Wordfast HQ and within a couple of hours they sorted it in new version 8.19.

Impressive service!

Dan Lucas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Classic in Windows 10 leaves double space when you ctrl-delete a word

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »