Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]
Off topic: Misadventures of a young translator (new comic strip / blog featuring translator 'Mox')
Thread poster: Alejandro Moreno-Ramos
Sonia Melnikova-Raich
Sonia Melnikova-Raich  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Smart Art Jun 9, 2009

Great stuff, thank you for your smart art! My favorite is "don't interpret literally." However, my own favorite most ridiculous request is the opposite, "Madam Interpreter, please provide verbatim translation, as literary as possible." I usually say: "Sure, no problem. But just to clarify, if it happens, do you actually want me to say that cats and dogs are falling from the sky, or saying that it rained heavily would be ok?" I think it could make a great pair to your “don't interpret literally... See more
Great stuff, thank you for your smart art! My favorite is "don't interpret literally." However, my own favorite most ridiculous request is the opposite, "Madam Interpreter, please provide verbatim translation, as literary as possible." I usually say: "Sure, no problem. But just to clarify, if it happens, do you actually want me to say that cats and dogs are falling from the sky, or saying that it rained heavily would be ok?" I think it could make a great pair to your “don't interpret literally” cartoon! Looking forward to more! Sonia Melnikova-Raich, www.soniamelnikova.com.

[Edited at 2009-06-09 18:44 GMT]
Collapse

shirkya2002
shirkya2002
India
Local time: 05:29
German to English
+ ...
its just great Jun 11, 2009

I sometimes see myself there - especially when it comes to sending invoice and getting paid. Wink

Samar Higazi
Samar Higazi
Egypt
Local time: 02:59
English to Arabic
+ ...
Very realistic Jun 13, 2009

Hi Alejandro!
I really liked your comic strips, they're so realistic and funny. I've been through some of the things you mentioned such as the ethical issues, it's nice to know that I was not as illogical as the client tried to convince me. I'd really like you to talk about irrealistic deadlines.
Please always inform us of Mox's new adventure.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 01:59
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
: ) Jun 14, 2009

Cedric Christensen wrote:

The interpreter could be a worm, the CEO would cut the worm in two and turn it into two languages. Then in four and so on. Until they finally decide to put the hundreds of pieces in a mixer and drink the interpreter. One of them would then burp a giga bit.

This is a prime plot!

Alejandro Moreno-Ramos
Alejandro Moreno-Ramos  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:59
Member (2008)
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Anniversary of Mox's blog Oct 2, 2009

Today marks the six-month anniversary when I posted the first (mis)adventure of Mox. It seems that Mox has found its niche and has become increasingly popular.

I would like to thank all followers for their fidelity. Also, I would like to remark that it was thanks to Proz that Mox was known widely.

Lastly, I apologize to all of you whose mails, comments and excellent su
... See more
Today marks the six-month anniversary when I posted the first (mis)adventure of Mox. It seems that Mox has found its niche and has become increasingly popular.

I would like to thank all followers for their fidelity. Also, I would like to remark that it was thanks to Proz that Mox was known widely.

Lastly, I apologize to all of you whose mails, comments and excellent suggestions were left unanswered during these months.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Misadventures of a young translator (new comic strip / blog featuring translator 'Mox')

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »