Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Had it not been foolish, how would you respond?
Thread poster: Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 00:45
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 18, 2009

Does the sheer idiocy of a spam message sometimes cause a response to pop up in your mind?

It would obviously be absurd to reply to that spam, but you could share that response here for entertainment without sacrificing your commonsense.

Alaa Zeineldine
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your website is not ... Oct 18, 2009

"Your website is not ranked #1 in the search engines. ..."

Mind:
"Is Yours?"

[Edited at 2009-10-18 22:37 GMT]

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 17:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Your computer may be at risk. Oct 19, 2009

"We have determined that your computer may have a vulnerability to...."

And you determined that through my email address? Wow. I'll tell my computer to fly over and check you out next time it puts on its cape and tights.

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
Lonely housewife Oct 19, 2009

"Lonely housewife looking for discreet fun. My husband works 70 hours a week and barely notices me. You don't have to worry about money, I have plenty and can pay for hotel, champagne, and so on. I just want a real man to play with me" (in Japanese).

I received this spam (and many similar others) via a very serious academic mailing list.

I felt like answering : "I can see you are very lonely and unhappy. Is cheating on your husband really a solution? How about some coun
... See more
"Lonely housewife looking for discreet fun. My husband works 70 hours a week and barely notices me. You don't have to worry about money, I have plenty and can pay for hotel, champagne, and so on. I just want a real man to play with me" (in Japanese).

I received this spam (and many similar others) via a very serious academic mailing list.

I felt like answering : "I can see you are very lonely and unhappy. Is cheating on your husband really a solution? How about some counselling and a nice romantic holiday? By the way, I am NOT a man and I am NOT into women"

[Modifié le 2009-10-19 03:30 GMT]

[Modifié le 2009-10-19 12:23 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:45
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nigerian letter Oct 19, 2009

"OK! I accept! Send me the first 2,000 dollars and we will keep talking about it!"

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Turkish to English
+ ...
Not just hypothetical Oct 19, 2009

This is more than a hypothetical question for me. I recently sent a sarcastic reply to a Nigerian scammer ending "Regards, Micky Mouse". I am now receiving further messages from the same source beginning "Dearest Micky Mouse"!

Anne Carnot
Anne Carnot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
English to French
:) Oct 19, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

"OK! I accept! Send me the first 2,000 dollars and we will keep talking about it!"

Good one!!

Monika Elisabeth Sieger
Monika Elisabeth Sieger  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:45
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Letters from Africa Oct 19, 2009

For years I was bombarded with requests of my bank account details as the Secretary of the 'Finance Minister' of Ghana, Senegal, Ivory Coast and Guinea needed to transfer large amounts of money to Europe. I was supposed to get at least 10-15% of the transferred money as remuneration for my help.
Being a lawyer myself, being specialzed on financial crime matters and having stopped working for the German equivalent of the English Crown Prosecution Service the year before I went to one of my
... See more
For years I was bombarded with requests of my bank account details as the Secretary of the 'Finance Minister' of Ghana, Senegal, Ivory Coast and Guinea needed to transfer large amounts of money to Europe. I was supposed to get at least 10-15% of the transferred money as remuneration for my help.
Being a lawyer myself, being specialzed on financial crime matters and having stopped working for the German equivalent of the English Crown Prosecution Service the year before I went to one of my former colleagues and they told me that this was a very common pattern but they were unable to prosecute as the attempt of fraud was not serious enough. Well, then........
Now I finally know, why people like Madoff can make their fortunes on the cost and expenses of others!
It only stopped when I took my problem in my own hands and replied to one letter from Nigeria:
"Please pay money into my bank account and I will certainly take good care of it on my then extended holidays in the Caribeans!"

[Edited at 2009-10-19 09:38 GMT]
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:45
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Lotteries Oct 19, 2009

I used to get quite a number of emails where I won the lottery of 1 million Euros. In my dreams I have already won more than 10 million Euros.
And of course, the Nigerian scams. If all these stories were true, I'd be retired and sitting by the beach tasting Pina Colada.

Karahan Sisman
Karahan Sisman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2010)
English to Turkish
you should check this out.. Oct 19, 2009

for really funny contacts with nigerian scammers

http://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I replied !!! Oct 19, 2009

A couple of years ago I received an email saying that I was the lucky winner of a British Lottery !!!

Then I replied !!! I just asked the person who contacted me to add me on yahoo messenger and then to call me as there were many scams out there and that I wanted to be sure that this was serious...

The gal was stupid enough to call !! I whiled away time with her from serious talk to flirty talk...Then when she contacted me again so that I pay the file processing fee, I
... See more
A couple of years ago I received an email saying that I was the lucky winner of a British Lottery !!!

Then I replied !!! I just asked the person who contacted me to add me on yahoo messenger and then to call me as there were many scams out there and that I wanted to be sure that this was serious...

The gal was stupid enough to call !! I whiled away time with her from serious talk to flirty talk...Then when she contacted me again so that I pay the file processing fee, I just told her over IM I know that you want to scam me ! But the fact is that you just wasted an international phone call over me !

She was infuriated and was so seriously trying to convince me that I was wrong and that I was missing the chance of my life that it was kinda sad...But truth is it felt so good !

End of the Story

MoH
Collapse

Alaa Zeineldine
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Disclaimer Oct 20, 2009

It was a little surprising to me that some of us have, in fact, deliberately responded to spam or contacted scammers. It is generally inadvisable to do so.

Since I am the one who started this thread, I must stress that spam and scams should be ignored or reported to organizations that deal with them. This thread is not meant to encourage responding to spam in any way.

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Didn't encourage them I just wanted to play a little bit ! Oct 27, 2009

Alaa Zeineldine wrote:

It was a little surprising to me that some of us have, in fact, deliberately responded to spam or contacted scammers. It is generally inadvisable to do so.

Since I am the one who started this thread, I must stress that spam and scams should be ignored or reported to organizations that deal with them. This thread is not meant to encourage responding to spam in any way.

I wasn't encouraging I was just scamming the spammer as it got infuriating to receive those messages !

In Algeria there is no such authority for reporting international e-scams like those...

Abba Storgen (X)
Abba Storgen (X)
United States
Local time: 16:45
Greek to English
+ ...
It's an epidemic, isn't it... Oct 27, 2009

""Lonely housewife looking for discreet fun."

That'll be $0.15 per word (includes a second person for editing) + $35/hour formatting (bold, italics, and underline). How many columns would you like in the text...

============

Lately I haven't been getting much spam though... especially after I forwarded one of these emails to the sender and to an FBI address, including all detailed texhnical information I could get about that email.

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
How many names do you have? Oct 28, 2009

I suppose many of us receive those offers of friendship from young ladies from Russia, Ukraine or other ex-Soviet states, together with a photograph. Sometimes the same young lady is featured in different messages with different names and e-mail addresses, but with exactly the same grammar and spelling mistakes in the message. What a coincidence!

I expect the young ladies pose for harmless portrait photographs (for a rouble or two) and in many cases do not know how the photos will b
... See more
I suppose many of us receive those offers of friendship from young ladies from Russia, Ukraine or other ex-Soviet states, together with a photograph. Sometimes the same young lady is featured in different messages with different names and e-mail addresses, but with exactly the same grammar and spelling mistakes in the message. What a coincidence!

I expect the young ladies pose for harmless portrait photographs (for a rouble or two) and in many cases do not know how the photos will be used.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Had it not been foolish, how would you respond?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »