Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
США
Local time: 22:06
Член ProZ.com c 2001
английский => русский
+ ...
Jun 20, 2006

It just came to me that the importance of Oshi (translator / interpreter) onboad the starship Enterprise can hardly be compared with any other movies or other 'endeavours'...

I mean the enterprise series makes translator's impact sooo significant - can hardly find any rivals.. Oshi's skills save live of her crewmen, help to maintain contacts with other species, prevent deadly confilcts.

I wonder who brought this role to life - someone with linguistic background perhaps<
... See more
It just came to me that the importance of Oshi (translator / interpreter) onboad the starship Enterprise can hardly be compared with any other movies or other 'endeavours'...

I mean the enterprise series makes translator's impact sooo significant - can hardly find any rivals.. Oshi's skills save live of her crewmen, help to maintain contacts with other species, prevent deadly confilcts.

I wonder who brought this role to life - someone with linguistic background perhaps)
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 21:06
английский => испанский
+ ...
Памяти
Just fantasy perhaps Jun 20, 2006

But not entirely removed from reality. Let's find some situations where we have made a difference in the real world. That's what counts, and I know they are there, and the the most important players are probably anonymous.

Yet we do make things work and it's about time we were recognized for it.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Канада
Local time: 23:06
английский => французский
+ ...
Star Trek spoiler! OMG! Jun 20, 2006

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

Oshi's skills save live of her crewmen, help to maintain contacts with other species, prevent deadly confilcts.

Isn't that what the ultimate point of translation is?

Maybe the person who created that character recognized the importance of translation/interpreting, but maybe it is simply because they wanted to give all of the characters some importance.

I enjoy watching the episodes with Hoshi accomplishing stuff, and I remember this episode: Vox Sola
Episode Number: 22 Season Num: 1 First Aired: Wednesday May 1, 2002

After a Kreetassan delegation leaves in a huff, a transparent squid-like creature sneaks into Enterprise. Hoshi blames herself for an inadequate translation performance, and T'Pol doesn't dissuade her of that opinion. Hoshi reports that she hears a signal in some communication noise, but it isn't pursued.

It turned out that the Kreetassans were not offended by Hoshi's translation, but rather by the fact that, on the Enterprise, people eat in public, whereas in Kreetassan culture, eating is as intimate as having sex.

This is a nice illustration of several aspects of our work, and I really loved the episode! Even though she is a fictitious character, I sometimes see her as a role model.

[Edited at 2006-06-20 02:17]

Irene N
Irene N
США
английский => русский
+ ...
Star Trek here and now:-) Jun 20, 2006

Volodya, thank you for opening this thread:-)

Not one minute of any given day of the International Space Station mission goes by without the support of large interpreter teams in Houston and Moscow - we have "flight controller" status and work at mission control centers, support crew training and real-time space-to-ground communications, and when Soyuz descent module lands bringing spaceflight crew back to Earth, there is an interpreter on board of one of the search and rescue helic
... See more

Not one minute of any given day of the International Space Station mission goes by without the support of large interpreter teams in Houston and Moscow - we have "flight controller" status and work at mission control centers, support crew training and real-time space-to-ground communications, and when Soyuz descent module lands bringing spaceflight crew back to Earth, there is an interpreter on board of one of the search and rescue helicopters. Launch and docking, space walks and press-conferences - we are there 24/7. Of course, there are remote technical meetings (telecons) on a daily basis dealing with separate ISS systems etc., and lots of translation as well. Our assignments vary depending on current needs and level of certification.

To get a feel of our work I'd suggest to practice simo of "Apollo-13" movie (or the Star Trek:-)) - the speed and the language are pretty much the same except for "no script" - the crews talk as they go. When a US crewmember talks to Houston mission control, we interpret simo for Moscow, and the other way around, switching directions and voice loops on a spot. Of course, the crew is aware that every word related to work is being interpreted and recorded. They have their private conferences with families and crew surgeons etc., when noone else can/is allowed to listen, and IP-phones - they can call around the world just like any of us from our homes. Sometimes they call their interpreters:-) as many friendships have formed over the years of joint training:-). Believe me, it's breathtaking - to get a phone call from orbit.

Some of my "space" colleagues are also Proz members or users. We are a great bunch:-):-):-) and I do not have enough words in any language to begin to describe how rewarding this job is.

Best,
Irene

[Edited at 2006-06-20 07:26]

[Edited at 2006-06-20 07:31]
Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
США
Член ProZ.com c 2001
английский => русский
+ ...
Автор темы
space dreams Jun 20, 2006

I am pleased to cause a stir.

Seriously, it has been always my dream to do something for space exploration. I believe it came from my dad, who, and i did not know it for ages, applied in the 50s to Otriad Kosmonavtov (USSR Space Pilots), was there for 3 months but dismissed because he was too tall...) (well at that time, not know how it works now).

How actually translators can join Space Cowboys? Please share, (what you can) Irene.

IreneN wrote:

Not one minute of any given day of the International Space Station mission goes by without the support of large interpreter teams in Houston and Moscow -

Irene N
Irene N
США
английский => русский
+ ...
It's not easy but not impossible Jun 21, 2006

I answered your question, right?:-)

[Edited at 2006-06-21 15:44]

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 13:06
итальянский => английский
Unreal Apr 22, 2007

Where would Star Trek be without its interpreter?!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

major interpeter / translator role in Star Trek Enterprise

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »