MemoQ 9.7 - How do I automatically "validate" translated segments to get an accurate cost report?
Thread poster: Shawn Connelly
May 13, 2021

Hello all,

I have a ticket open with MemoQ but I am still waiting for a solution after two days. Hopefully, someone in this forum can help?

We recently changed our localization .xlf file format, where the translation.xlf files previously only included English segments.
The header only has:
source-language="en"

There were no "targets" in the .xlf

The workflow was:
a) Make 3 copies of the English only
... See more
Hello all,

I have a ticket open with MemoQ but I am still waiting for a solution after two days. Hopefully, someone in this forum can help?

We recently changed our localization .xlf file format, where the translation.xlf files previously only included English segments.
The header only has:
source-language="en"

There were no "targets" in the .xlf

The workflow was:
a) Make 3 copies of the English only translation.xlf (for 3 projects - En to Fr, En to De, and En to Es).
b) Create 3 language pair projects and upload them to the MemoQ cloud.
c) Engage MemoQ pre-translation. The pre-translation would populate the "targets" for 101% matches (previously translated segments) and 100% or less for heuristic matches. FYI, we don't use machine translation.
d) Next, we generate a cost report to give us a cost for segments of 100% and less (in cost tiers).
e) For any segments less than 101%, we engaged our translators to review or edit those segments.
f) Finally, we set the translation vendor, set a due date, and launch the projects.

The above workflow worked very well until we changed our translation.xlf format to allow us to upload pre-translated segments (translated internally). Now, our translation.xlf file headers include both the source and target:
source-language="en" target-language="fr"

And the body includes "targets" with translated segments or empty targets, when there is no translation available.

Once the translation.xlf files are uploaded, I engage pre-translation to fill in any untranslated segments (where possible). And then generate a cost report for all the segments that require translation.

The problem is that I don't know how to tell MemoQ that the pre-existing translated targets should be considered translated. The 0% match rate is being interpreted by the MemoQ cost reporting as untranslated segments.

What can I do to regain an accurate cost report?

In testing, it seems that I might have a solution. Can I select MemoQ's "Confirm and Update" before our translators complete the untranslated content... that seems to correct the cost report. But can I again select "Confirm and Update" after our translators complete their translations?

Thank you and apologies for this very long post.

[Edited at 2021-05-13 19:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-05-14 06:33 GMT]
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Word of caution May 13, 2021

101's as implemented in MemoQ aren't a sure bet. There's a few common scenarios in which they are completely wrong.

They become even less accurate if you don't educate your translators and keep a strict style guide. And utterly crap if you use uncleaned scans with rough OCR.

[Edited at 2021-05-13 23:28 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:14
English to Russian
You can't type < or > May 14, 2021

Something is missing from your post because you type < and > as regular characters using your keyboard. Instead, you should use tag codes for that (ampersand, letter g, letter t, semicolon for > and ampersand, letter l, letter t, semicolon for < ).
Or use screenshots, even better.

[Edited at 2021-05-14 02:42 GMT]

Shawn Connelly
Shawn Connelly
Canada
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for noticing the errors in my post May 14, 2021

Thank you, Stepan.

I hadn't noticed that my first post in this forum was formatted incorrectly. Thank you.

The post has been corrected.

I see no way of posting screen captures. Perhaps the limitation is because I only have a basic membership?

Shawn Connelly
Shawn Connelly
Canada
TOPIC STARTER
I found a solution... May 14, 2021

No thanks to MemoQ support, I found a solution.

The new workflow is as follows:

1. Publish the project(s) with new manual template.
2. Select appropriate TM, Term bases, and Muses.
3. Select Confirm and Update for entire project.
4. Select Pre-translate for the entire project.
5. Run analysis and generate cost report.
6. Send project(s) to our translation vendor to complete the translations.
7. When our translation vendor has complete
... See more
No thanks to MemoQ support, I found a solution.

The new workflow is as follows:

1. Publish the project(s) with new manual template.
2. Select appropriate TM, Term bases, and Muses.
3. Select Confirm and Update for entire project.
4. Select Pre-translate for the entire project.
5. Run analysis and generate cost report.
6. Send project(s) to our translation vendor to complete the translations.
7. When our translation vendor has completed the translations, validate project segments, and apply final Confirm and Update.

Are my following assumptions correct?

1. "Confirm and Update" will apply existing translations (that we presume are 100% correct) to TM.
2. It's important to apply the "Pre-Translate" AFTER the "Confirm and Update" step because we don't want to commit unvalidated pre-translated segments that could be incorrect.

Therefore, I should not apply this workflow to the already in-progress translation project because if I select Confirm and Update, that action will apply unconfirmed segments to translation memory.

[Edited at 2021-05-14 09:00 GMT]
Collapse

Grigori Gazarian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ 9.7 - How do I automatically "validate" translated segments to get an accurate cost report?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »