vollebregt
vollebregt  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:16
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
Jul 7, 2021

Hi everyone,

Do you know how to get a microsoft Word preview from MemoQ?

It's handy sometimes after translating files to see them in Word and perform a final spelling check. For some software applications there's a built in preview option for Word, for some you can copy/paste the text directly to Word if you like.

I've gone to the settings in MemoQ and checked the "Allow external preview tools to connect to memoQ", but it's empty under "Installed external
... See more
Hi everyone,

Do you know how to get a microsoft Word preview from MemoQ?

It's handy sometimes after translating files to see them in Word and perform a final spelling check. For some software applications there's a built in preview option for Word, for some you can copy/paste the text directly to Word if you like.

I've gone to the settings in MemoQ and checked the "Allow external preview tools to connect to memoQ", but it's empty under "Installed external preview tools" and I haven't been able to find anywhere that I can add an MS Word preview tool to memoQ.

Does anyone know how to do this?
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:16
English to Russian
A standalone tool Jul 8, 2021

Hi there,
There are 2 preview tools, for video and for documents, both are stand-alone. You need to install them individually (both or the one you need). Here is what you need: https://www.memoq.com/Kilgray/media/Download/Tools%20and%20utilities/memoQ-PDF-Preview-9-1.exe
Once you have it installed, the option will appear where you
... See more
Hi there,
There are 2 preview tools, for video and for documents, both are stand-alone. You need to install them individually (both or the one you need). Here is what you need: https://www.memoq.com/Kilgray/media/Download/Tools%20and%20utilities/memoQ-PDF-Preview-9-1.exe
Once you have it installed, the option will appear where you can’t see it at the moment.
Google for memoq pdf preview tool to find the instructions from Kilgray.
Or use this link: https://docs.memoq.com/ggl-tst/memoQ-PDF-preview-tool/memoq-pdf-preview-tool.html

[Edited at 2021-07-08 00:48 GMT]
Collapse

vollebregt
Australia
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
PDF Preview Tool installed, but how to get MemoQ to show the PDF Preview? Jul 8, 2021

Thanks so much for your help with this.

I installed the PDF Preview tool and everything looks good in the MemoQ settings, but I am not able to get MemoQ to show me a PDF preview of a file when I have translated it.

I've read the help files but they seem to suggest the PDF Preview opens automatically when you open the file translate, which mine is not doing.

How do other people perform a last spelling check on their MemoQ files before delivery?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is the document originally in Word format? Jul 8, 2021

You do not seem to mention whether the documents are Word documents when you import them to memoQ for translation. Is this tha case?

If this is so, you have memoQ's own preview function (you can find it in the online help).

As for spell/grammarchecking, in my case (translation from different languages into Spanish) I export the files (or a view, if there are many in the project) to a bilingual RTF file, and spellcheck that. This way, I benefit from Word's grammarchecker
... See more
You do not seem to mention whether the documents are Word documents when you import them to memoQ for translation. Is this tha case?

If this is so, you have memoQ's own preview function (you can find it in the online help).

As for spell/grammarchecking, in my case (translation from different languages into Spanish) I export the files (or a view, if there are many in the project) to a bilingual RTF file, and spellcheck that. This way, I benefit from Word's grammarchecker, which I feel is superior to other options I have tried.
Collapse

Viviane Marx
Stepan Konev

vollebregt
Australia
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Together this solves the problem Jul 11, 2021

I have the PDF tool installed and this only provides a preview with the correct source type, but the export function is of course the way to go in other instances (silly for me to have overlooked that).

Thanks to you both!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get a MS Word Preview in MemoQ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »