Installing memoq on external device
Thread poster: Sylwia Kastrau
Sylwia Kastrau
Sylwia Kastrau
Poland
English to Polish
Jun 7, 2022

I wonder whether it's possible to install memoq on an external device and work on it by plugging drive to a device. My main problem is I'm quite mobile and use multiple computers depending on where I am, but want access to my memoq regardless if needed, so I don't need to carry with myself my personal laptop all day everyday just in case there is a task incoming. From what I know memoq is tied to a specific hardware. Is it a processor or a drive? Can I tie it to a drive?

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:14
German to English
MemoQ connected to the Windows registry Jun 7, 2022

As far as I know, the MemoQ installation creates entries in the Windows registry, so just having it on an independent hard drive won't work.

However, I've read about various workarounds involving a "portable" version of Windows. This might work for you; on the other hand it may be a waste of time.
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/run-portable-versions-windows/

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:14
English to Russian
Portable memoQ Jun 7, 2022

Back in 2013, I have seen a portable version of memoQ that worked directly from a memory stick. I mean that it is technically possible but hardly legal. I've never heard of memoQ officially releasing a portable version. I suggest that you ask Kilgray directly.

[Edited at 2022-06-07 23:54 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:14
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Multiple MemoQs Jun 8, 2022

The Pro version of MemoQ allows you to have 2 installations on different machines, by adding -002 to the serial number. In fact I have it installed on a desktop and on two different laptops and they all work fine. When I first purchased MemoQ (years ago) I discussed this situation with Kilgray and they didn't have a problem with it.

I think you could switch machines during a project by creating a project backup file, saving the file to a memory stick, and then restore the backup fil
... See more
The Pro version of MemoQ allows you to have 2 installations on different machines, by adding -002 to the serial number. In fact I have it installed on a desktop and on two different laptops and they all work fine. When I first purchased MemoQ (years ago) I discussed this situation with Kilgray and they didn't have a problem with it.

I think you could switch machines during a project by creating a project backup file, saving the file to a memory stick, and then restore the backup file to the MemoQ on the other machine.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing memoq on external device

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »