Tax and social regime for independent/freelance translators in Greece
Thread poster: Esteban Flamini
Esteban Flamini
Esteban Flamini  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 20, 2023

Dear fellows, I have a little question for/about freelance translators living in Greece. A similar question has been made before here, but the last reply is more than 7 years old, and I wonder if the situation has changed in the meantime.

I'm doing research on the tax situation of freelancers in Greece, and the information I've found
... See more
Dear fellows, I have a little question for/about freelance translators living in Greece. A similar question has been made before here, but the last reply is more than 7 years old, and I wonder if the situation has changed in the meantime.

I'm doing research on the tax situation of freelancers in Greece, and the information I've found so far is a little confusing. I'd be very grateful if you can give me some clarification!

- Is the first tax bracket for freelancers at 9% (under € 10 000) or at 22%?
- Do freelancers pay the 'business tax' and the 'solidarity tax'? (And should freelancers register a business to work indepentently in Greece?)
- And finally, I've read there is a mandatory contribution to the pension and health system, with 6 levels from which you can choose the one you want to pay. Is this valid for freelancers too?

Thank you in advance! Σας ευχαριστώ πολύ!
Collapse

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:32
English to Czech
Your Europe - business Jan 20, 2023

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/index_en.htm

https://europa.eu/youreurope/index_en.htm#/businesses/EL/

Milan

Esteban Flamini
Greece
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the information Jan 20, 2023

Thank you for the links, I will research them asap

Esteban Flamini
Greece
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Specific information sought Jan 21, 2023

I am afraid that the information provided at the EU-level (some of which I already knew) is a little generic, and difficult to navigate.

Are there any freelance translators actually living and working in Greece who might be able to share their personal experience with the Greek tax system?

Zoe Rompou
Zoe Rompou  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:32
Member (2018)
English to Greek
+ ...
Hi Esteban! Jan 23, 2023

The first taxation coefficient is 9% charged to Net Income (expenses deducted from revenue).
VAT tax at 24% is applied, also. Yes, you need to set up a (self-occupation) business (registered at your home address, e.g.).
Also, a freelance annual fee is applicable (around 650 euros or less, depending on the population density of the location you are registered). No other taxes. Pension contributions are, indeed, graded, starting from somewhere 130 euros per month for beginners, and the
... See more
The first taxation coefficient is 9% charged to Net Income (expenses deducted from revenue).
VAT tax at 24% is applied, also. Yes, you need to set up a (self-occupation) business (registered at your home address, e.g.).
Also, a freelance annual fee is applicable (around 650 euros or less, depending on the population density of the location you are registered). No other taxes. Pension contributions are, indeed, graded, starting from somewhere 130 euros per month for beginners, and then these gradually grow up. If you are in parallel employed by a company in Greece, you can have your freelance business, too, and you are not obliged to pay pension contributions (avoidance of double pension contributions).
Collapse

Esteban Flamini
Greece
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Useful info Jan 24, 2023

Hi Zoe! Thanks for your clarification. With the information I've got so far, it seems to me that the Greek system is close to the average of the advanced countries, in terms of taxes as percent of income (but as a local you know better than me and you may disagree with my perception).

Incidentally, I've read somewhere that Greece is trying to attract 'digital nomads' by providing them different rules, but I guess not every freelancer will meet all the requisites.

And by
... See more
Hi Zoe! Thanks for your clarification. With the information I've got so far, it seems to me that the Greek system is close to the average of the advanced countries, in terms of taxes as percent of income (but as a local you know better than me and you may disagree with my perception).

Incidentally, I've read somewhere that Greece is trying to attract 'digital nomads' by providing them different rules, but I guess not every freelancer will meet all the requisites.

And by the way, if I've done my math right, the Italian system is a little more convenient, provided you enter the simplified system called 'regime forfettario'. I just comment this here for the benefit of colleagues who might be doing a similar research as mine.

Thank you again, and thanks to Milan too for his previous remark
Collapse

Milan Condak

Zoe Rompou
Zoe Rompou  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:32
Member (2018)
English to Greek
+ ...
Digital Nomad in Greece Jan 24, 2023

Hi Esteban!
I don't know about the situation in other countries, only about Greece. I, also, found this link, probably, this could be helpful. It would be quite reasonable to suggest that many things in EU countries are in line with regard to freelancers. Also, opening a freelance business (in translation/interpretation I mean) is a 5-munites job now, which can be done online. Wishing you
... See more
Hi Esteban!
I don't know about the situation in other countries, only about Greece. I, also, found this link, probably, this could be helpful. It would be quite reasonable to suggest that many things in EU countries are in line with regard to freelancers. Also, opening a freelance business (in translation/interpretation I mean) is a 5-munites job now, which can be done online. Wishing you success in your choice!
https://workfromgreece.gr/

[Edited at 2023-01-24 08:41 GMT]
Collapse

Esteban Flamini
Greece
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 26, 2023

Thanks once again, I will certainly take a look at the link you provide. All the best!

Esteban Flamini
Greece
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
POS obligation for freelancers? Jan 26

Hi! Γειά σας! Finally, I have relocated to Greece, and I am adapting myself quickly to my new environment.

I have one question (only for translators living in Greece, please). Recently, the εφορία introduced the obligation for all freelancers in Greece to get a POS reader. Do you know if any exemption is provided for people who only work for companies abroad (and would never actually use a reader to charge for their services)? Σας ευχαριστώ πάρα πάρα πολύ! Thanks in advance!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tax and social regime for independent/freelance translators in Greece

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »