Initiator des Themas: Suzan Hamer
Karoline Spiessl
Karoline Spiessl  Identity Verified
Neuseeland
Local time: 00:42
Englisch > Deutsch
+ ...
Off topic Dec 19, 2010

@Suzan: Of course, you posted it as "off topic". I think it's always nice though to explore what use any new tool could be for translators. And there is even one - very limited admittedly.
Thanks for starting the thread in the first place, I use Google's tools a lot and am always keen to know what other translators think of them!

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnien und Herzegowina
Local time: 14:42
Mitglied (2009)
Englisch > Kroatisch
+ ...
Linguistic projects Dec 19, 2010

I'm a linguist and my linguistic projects aren't restricted to translation only. Translation is but one linguistic discipline, while there are thousands.

For example, I did projects where we measure frequency of certain words in common everyday usage. This tool, although not super accurate and automatic/robotic, could be quite a handy additional tool for similar projects. This tool also apparently screens book word usage, not common or colloquial word usage. However, screening books
... See more
I'm a linguist and my linguistic projects aren't restricted to translation only. Translation is but one linguistic discipline, while there are thousands.

For example, I did projects where we measure frequency of certain words in common everyday usage. This tool, although not super accurate and automatic/robotic, could be quite a handy additional tool for similar projects. This tool also apparently screens book word usage, not common or colloquial word usage. However, screening books could be helpful for certain aspects as well.

[Edited at 2010-12-19 12:02 GMT]
Collapse

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Local time: 13:42
Spanisch > Englisch
+ ...
Great fun Dec 19, 2010

If you search a dialect word like "dreach" you get what could be a city skyline until recent times, when it turns into a low hilly landscape...

And if you search a slang word like "lech" it's clearly been around for a long time, but hit an extraordinary peak in the 1980s and 90s, from which we might make all kinds of social assumptions.

Perhaps not a serious tool, but fascinating nonetheless.

Bilbo Baggins
Bilbo Baggins
Katalanisch > Englisch
+ ...
History Dec 20, 2010

I would use this with great care, as in the description, the corpus is described as only a small proportion of ALL books published since printing began, and most likely, what is in the corpus is biased to more recent works.

However, I suspect it might be useful to launch searches when translating historical texts as it links directly to historical works from whichever broad period you click.

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
Local time: 08:42
Englisch
+ ...
Medical progress Dec 20, 2010

Check out vagotomy vs cimetidine.

Cimetidine, the first H2 blocker revolutionized the treatment of peptic ulcer disease. Sure, antacids worked, but you needed to dose every two hours. Your ulcer would kill you while you slept at night. So, to reduce acid secretion, the vagus nerve to the stomach was cut, a procedure known as vagotomy. Until 1975 it was "bread and butter" surgery, together with partial removal of the stomach, the so-called antrectomy.

Then cimetidine was
... See more
Check out vagotomy vs cimetidine.

Cimetidine, the first H2 blocker revolutionized the treatment of peptic ulcer disease. Sure, antacids worked, but you needed to dose every two hours. Your ulcer would kill you while you slept at night. So, to reduce acid secretion, the vagus nerve to the stomach was cut, a procedure known as vagotomy. Until 1975 it was "bread and butter" surgery, together with partial removal of the stomach, the so-called antrectomy.

Then cimetidine was invented, a drug that substantially reduced stomach acid for 24 hours.

Look at the graph, how the word cimetidine appears out of nowhere, just as vagotomy peaks and starts to decline. Today, it is hard to find a surgeon who knows how to do a vagotomy.

Alas, cimetidine starts to decline in the mid eighties! What happened, you ask? It was the invention of omeprazole, the world's first proton pump inhibitor, an even better inhibitor of stomach acid production.

Michael
Collapse

Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatoren dieses Forums
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

See how often certain words were used in books between 1500 and 2008

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »