Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
بولندا
Local time: 03:29
أنجليزي إلى بولندي
+ ...
to rephrase Texte Style's joke in forum-survivable form: Jul 22, 2011

A Person Whose Ethnicity Shall Remain Unnamed talking with a WASP at Harvard:

PWESRU: Excuse me, could you tell me where the library'd be at?
WASP: (snooty yet shocked) Excuse me, did you not know that at Harvard we never put a preposition at the end of a question?
PWESRU: (sigh) OK. I'll start over. Excuse me, could you tell me where the library'd be at, you idiot?

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 02:29
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
"Deemed incorrect" Jul 22, 2011

Roy Williams wrote:
When we learned english in school, the "Where's it at?" construction was always deemed incorrect.

By who and why do you care...?

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
أنجليزي إلى عربي
+ ...
What can I do you for? Jul 22, 2011

OK, I'm not actually offended by it, nor do I know if it's an Americanism, nor am I actually British (by birth anyway). But I just heard it spoken very seriously for "What can I do for you" in two American films within a very short space of time, and found it stupidly hilarious.

FWIW, the two expressions that grate on my ear are "My bad" and "Come again?"

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 18:29
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
It actually is, uhm, a bit offensive Jul 22, 2011

Nesrin wrote:

OK, I'm not actually offended by it, nor do I know if it's an Americanism, nor am I actually British (by birth anyway). But I just heard it spoken very seriously for "What can I do for you" in two American films within a very short space of time, and found it stupidly hilarious.

"To do someone" = to perform a sexual act / satisfy sexually

It's a stupid play on words, muahahaha...

Nesrin
المملكة المتحدة
أنجليزي إلى عربي
+ ...
Yeah I understand... Jul 22, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Nesrin wrote:

"To do someone" = to perform a sexual act / satisfy sexually

It's a stupid play on words, muahahaha...

But I swear it was seriously spoken by an elderly shopkeeper (in a film), and according to a person on this site http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/57/messages/570.html "It's usually a genuine offer of help, and could be used by shop assistants to customers who are looking a little lost."

hmm..

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Yes, Jul 22, 2011

Nesrin wrote:
"What can I do for you"

FWIW, the two expressions that grate on my ear are "My bad" and "Come again?"

I have usually heard "What can I do for you" used in a "somewhat jocular" way. I first read "my bad" not that long ago, and I think it was written by a non NES, so I thought it was a mistake at first. It sounds so un-English, I wondered if it is a translation from some other language that has been adopted into US English; it still grates.

[Edited at 2011-07-22 19:26 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
الولايات المتحدة
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
"My bad" Jul 22, 2011

Rachel Fell wrote:
I first read "my bad" not that long ago, and I think it was written by a non NES, so I thought it was a mistake at first. It sounds so un-English, I wondered if it is a translation from some other language that has been adopted into US English; it still grates.

It's just another stupid play on words - a mix between "too bad" and "my fault". Such "puns" exist in all languages. Unfortunately they are used in movies and literature when a particularly colloquial tone is desired. Using this baby talk during a conversation would earn you a blank stare.

Nicole Schnell
الولايات المتحدة
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
Some comments... :-) Jul 23, 2011

I finally found the time to read the entire list. Unfortunately, ignorance seems to be widely spread.

1. When people ask for something, I often hear: "Can I get a..." It infuriates me. It's not New York. It's not the 90s. You're not in Central Perk with the rest of the Friends. Really." Steve, Rossendale, Lancashire

It's "Central Park", not "perk". Also: "friends", not "Friends". It helps to master your own language before you criticize foreign ones.

2. The next time someone tells you something is the "least worst option", tell them that their most best option is learning grammar. Mike Ayres, Bodmin, Cornwall

Amazing. I googled it and found this gem mostly on UK websites. Americanism is the new synonym for bad grammar?

3. The phrase I've watched seep into the language (especially with broadcasters) is "two-time" and "three-time". Have the words double, triple etc, been totally lost? Grammatically it makes no sense, and is even worse when spoken. My pulse rises every time I hear or see it. Which is not healthy as it's almost every day now. Argh! D Rochelle, Bath

As explained in a previous post. Please expand your vocabulary.

4. Using 24/7 rather than "24 hours, 7 days a week" or even just plain "all day, every day". Simon Ball, Worcester

Wrong. 24 hours means all day AND all night.

5. The one I can't stand is "deplane", meaning to disembark an aircraft, used in the phrase "you will be able to deplane momentarily". TykeIntheHague, Den Haag, Holland

Aviation industry is a bizarre world.

6. To "wait on" instead of "wait for" when you're not a waiter - once read a friend's comment about being in a station waiting on a train. For him, the train had yet to arrive - I would have thought rather that it had got stuck at the station with the friend on board. T Balinski, Raglan, New Zealand

Please learn English. "To wait on" and "to wait for" are entirely different things.

7. "It is what it is". Pity us. Michael Knapp, Chicago, US

As far as I know, this is a quote from some piece of literature.

8. Dare I even mention the fanny pack? Lisa, Red Deer, Canada

Honi soit qui mal y pense...

9. "Touch base" - it makes me cringe no end. Chris, UK

Sports lingo, so what?

10. Is "physicality" a real word? Curtis, US

Yes, ask Webster's.

11. Transportation. What's wrong with transport? Greg Porter, Hercules, CA, US

Because transport and transportation are two different things.

12. The word I hate to hear is "leverage". Pronounced lev-er-ig rather than lee-ver -ig. It seems to pop up in all aspects of work. And its meaning seems to have changed to "value added". Gareth Wilkins, Leicester

Interesting pronunciation.

13. Does nobody celebrate a birthday anymore, must we all "turn" 12 or 21 or 40? Even the Duke of Edinburgh was universally described as "turning" 90 last month. When did this begin? I quite like the phrase in itself, but it seems to have obliterated all other ways of speaking about birthdays. Michael McAndrew, Swindon

Because not every birthday comes with a party and a clown? Other languages distinguish as well.

14. I caught myself saying "shopping cart" instead of shopping trolley today and was thoroughly disgusted with myself. I've never lived nor been to the US either. Graham Nicholson, Glasgow

15. What kind of word is "gotten"? It makes me shudder. Julie Marrs, Warrington

Old English.

16. "I'm good" for "I'm well". That'll do for a start. Mike, Bridgend, Wales

Two different meanings.

17. "Bangs" for a fringe of the hair. Philip Hall, Nottingham

I am wondering what this gentleman would think about Germans then. They call it a Pony.

18. Take-out rather than takeaway! Simon Ball, Worcester

"Take away". Aren't you going to pay for it? Shocking.

19. I enjoy Americanisms. I suspect even some Americans use them in a tongue-in-cheek manner? "That statement was the height of ridiculosity". Bob, Edinburgh

Tongue-in-cheek, indeed.

20. "A half hour" instead of "half an hour". EJB, Devon

Because "a half hour ride" is not the same as "arriving in half an hour".

21. A "heads up". For example, as in a business meeting. Lets do a "heads up" on this issue. I have never been sure of the meaning. R Haworth, Marlborough

Look it up?

22. Train station. My teeth are on edge every time I hear it. Who started it? Have they been punished? Chris Capewell, Queens Park, London

Because it's the trains that stop at the station. Not the railway. This would be unfortunate.

23. To put a list into alphabetical order is to "alphabetize it" - horrid! Chris Fackrell, York

Especially British , al·pha·bet·ise .

Origin:
1865–70; alphabet + -ize

People that say "my bad" after a mistake. I don't know how anything could be as annoying or lazy as that. Simon Williamson, Lymington, Hampshire

A play on words. Native speakers should be able to figure it out.

25. "Normalcy" instead of "normality" really irritates me. Tom Gabbutt, Huddersfield

Normalcy is not interchangeable with normality in some contexts. For example, in comparing an untypical condition to a typical condition, one would want to pair abnormality with normality and not normalcy. Although the form “abnormalcy” is showing up on the web and even in some dictionaries, it’s not in the OED, and it is not standard in American speech.

26. As an expat living in New Orleans, it is a very long list but "burglarize" is currently the word that I most dislike. Simon, New Orleans

Well, In England it's called "burglarise".

27. "Oftentimes" just makes me shiver with annoyance. Fortunately I've not noticed it over here yet. John, London

Old English term, extended form of often, attested from early 15th century.

28. Eaterie. To use a prevalent phrase, oh my gaad! Alastair, Maidstone (now in Athens, Ohio)

"restaurant," 1901; see eat + -ery. It's "oh my gawd", not "oh my gaad".

29. I'm a Brit living in New York. The one that always gets me is the American need to use the word bi-weekly when fortnightly would suffice just fine. Ami Grewal, New York

Yikes. Those are two different meanings! I hope he made his appointment.

30. I hate "alternate" for "alternative". I don't like this as they are two distinct words, both have distinct meanings and it's useful to have both. Using alternate for alternative deprives us of a word. Catherine, London

No, you cannot interchange a verb with an adjective. Smart girl!

31. "Hike" a price. Does that mean people who do that are hikers? No, hikers are ramblers! M Holloway, Accrington

No. But you should learn a bit about negotiating.

32. Going forward? If I do I shall collide with my keyboard. Ric Allen, Matlock

You should leave your house more often and spend some time at the office.

33. I hate the word "deliverable". Used by management consultants for something that they will "deliver" instead of a report. Joseph Wall, Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire

Because not every deliverable is a report, Einstein.

34. The most annoying Americanism is "a million and a half" when it is clearly one and a half million! A million and a half is 1,000,000.5 where one and a half million is 1,500,000. Gordon Brown, Coventry

Gordon Brown needs new glasses.

35. "Reach out to" when the correct word is "ask". For example: "I will reach out to Kevin and let you know if that timing is convenient". Reach out? Is Kevin stuck in quicksand? Is he teetering on the edge of a cliff? Can't we just ask him? Nerina, London

Two different meanings.

36. Surely the most irritating is: "You do the Math." Math? It's MATHS. Michael Zealey, London

British preference, maths, is attested from 1911. Hm. Looks like the plural was invented by the British not too long ago.

37. I hate the fact I now have to order a "regular Americano". What ever happened to a medium sized coffee? Marcus Edwards, Hurst Green

Where did this man order his coffee? Most definitely not in the US.

38. My worst horror is expiration, as in "expiration date". Whatever happened to expiry? Christina Vakomies, London

Let's all hope that Christina will not expire sometimes soon.

expiry Look up expiry at Dictionary.com
"close, termination," 1752, from expire + -y (1). Meaning "dying, death" is from 1790.

expiration Look up expiration at Dictionary.com
early 15c., "vapor, breath," from M.Fr. expiration, from L. expirationem/exspirationem (nom. expiratio/exspiratio), noun of action from pp. stem of expirare/exspirare (see expire). Meaning "termination, end, close" is from 1560s.

39. My favourite one was where Americans claimed their family were "Scotch-Irish". This of course it totally inaccurate, as even if it were possible, it would be "Scots" not "Scotch", which as I pointed out is a drink. James, Somerset

Sorry, James. They said "Scottish", not "Scotch". Were you thirsty?

40.I am increasingly hearing the phrase "that'll learn you" - when the English (and more correct) version was always "that'll teach you". What a ridiculous phrase! Tabitha, London

I never heard that one in the US.

41. I really hate the phrase: "Where's it at?" This is not more efficient or informative than "where is it?" It just sounds grotesque and is immensely irritating. Adam, London

Dear Adam, whenever you inquire about the status of a project or a process, you might be not very interested in its geographical position, right?

42. Period instead of full stop. Stuart Oliver, Sunderland

Why not? Means "dot marking end of a sentence", first recorded c.1600.

43. My pet hate is "winningest", used in the context "Michael Schumacher is the winningest driver of all time". I can feel the rage rising even using it here. Gayle, Nottingham

A typo? In the US a student would get an F. Did you read this on MySpace?

44. My brother now uses the term "season" for a TV series. Hideous. D Henderson, Edinburgh

Those terms are not interchangeable. A TV series might run for ten years but the episodes during a particular year are called a season.

45. Having an "issue" instead of a "problem". John, Leicester

Because not every issue is a problem? Get happy!

46. I hear more and more people pronouncing the letter Z as "zee". Not happy about it! Ross, London

Bee hives nearby? (Sorry...)

47. To "medal" instead of to win a medal. Sets my teeth on edge with a vengeance. Helen, Martock, Somerset

Sportscaster lingo.

48. "I got it for free" is a pet hate. You got it "free" not "for free". You don't get something cheap and say you got it "for cheap" do you? Mark Jones, Plymouth

Teenager lingo. So what? Perhaps British teenagers go strictly by the Oxford Dictionary.

49. "Turn that off already". Oh dear. Darren, Munich

I am certain that all parents all over the world are watching their grammar when asking their kids to reduce the volume of their latest Black Metal album from supersonic to the modest hum of a jack-hammer.

50. "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less" has to be the worst. Opposite meaning of what they're trying to say. Jonathan, Birmingham

Good catch, Jonathan! "Could care less" is wrong. You won't hear this gem by a US native speaker.

Nesrin
المملكة المتحدة
أنجليزي إلى عربي
+ ...
Good replies, Nicole! Jul 23, 2011

It does seem that much of what people perceive as Americanisms aren't really what they are, or are simply alternative usages with slightly different meanings.

Just had to, as a "Friends" aficionada, let you know that the coffee shop where the friends regularly meet is indeed called "Central Perk"

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
روسي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
One or two comments by a Brit on Nicole's comments Jul 23, 2011

1. If "Friends" refers to the TV series, I think the capital is justified.

26. In England you might be burgled but not burglarised (or burglarized).

28. Oh my gaad! The writer is sarcastically commenting on American pronunciation.
I once spent a week in Philadelphia, and if I asked for a coffee I was often misunderstood, till I took to pronouncing it "caaffee". (But I don't find it irritating, Americans are entitled to pronounce it that way, and could no doub
... See more
1. If "Friends" refers to the TV series, I think the capital is justified.

26. In England you might be burgled but not burglarised (or burglarized).

28. Oh my gaad! The writer is sarcastically commenting on American pronunciation.
I once spent a week in Philadelphia, and if I asked for a coffee I was often misunderstood, till I took to pronouncing it "caaffee". (But I don't find it irritating, Americans are entitled to pronounce it that way, and could no doubt make similar comments about our pronunciation).
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
الولايات المتحدة
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
Ah, I see. Jul 23, 2011

Nesrin wrote:
Just had to, as a "Friends" aficionada, let you know that the coffee shop where the friends regularly meet is indeed called "Central Perk"

I could never stand to watch this show - the producers are a bit too trigger-happy with the canned laughter button. (A person enters the room - canned laughter. The person says "Hi!" - canned laughter.) I did like the duck, though.

Thanks, Nesrin! I didn't realize that this refers to the TV show.

Nicole Schnell
الولايات المتحدة
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
American pronunciation Jul 23, 2011

Jack Doughty wrote:
I once spent a week in Philadelphia, and if I asked for a coffee I was often misunderstood, till I took to pronouncing it "caaffee". (But I don't find it irritating, Americans are entitled to pronounce it that way, and could no doubt make similar comments about our pronunciation).

"American" pronunciation per se doesn't exist, as the language hugely varies across the continent and the 50 states. Especially in the Pacific Northwest, where the truest and most accent-free English is spoken, people develop "an ear" for out-of-state dialects and are able to figure out where the tourists are from after only a few sentences.

Lancashireman
Lancashireman  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
Sheer folly Jul 23, 2011

I have never seen such a comprehensive demolition job anywhere on this site before. Thank you very much, Nicole, for taking so much time and trouble to show up the sheer folly of these commentators.

Nicole Schnell
الولايات المتحدة
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
Here is what boggles my mind Jul 23, 2011

Nesrin wrote:

It does seem that much of what people perceive as Americanisms aren't really what they are, or are simply alternative usages with slightly different meanings.

This is by far one of the most interesting threads ever about the differences between British and American English. It was quite an experience to learn that many British consider so many terms and phrases "Americanisms" or American neologisms without realizing that many words and phrases are nothing but remainders of their own, perfect and impeccable "true" English.

Nicole Schnell
الولايات المتحدة
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
I couldn't help it. :-) Jul 23, 2011

Andrew Swift wrote:

I have never seen such a comprehensive demolition job anywhere on this site before. Thank you very much, Nicole, for taking so much time and trouble to show up the sheer folly of these commentators.

It was fun.

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

مشرفو هذا المنتدى
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

British offended by Americanisms

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »