Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Канада
Local time: 10:15
голландский => английский
+ ...
Same in Canada Nov 11, 2011

Jack Doughty wrote:

The armistice that ended the First World War was signed at 11 o'clock (GMT) on the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918. This day, known as Armistice Day, is still marked in many countries as a day of mourning and of tribute to the fallen of the First and Second World Wars and other wars.
In the UK, though the main ceremonies to mark the anniversary have been moved to the nearest Sunday, now known as Remembrance Sunday, Armistice day itself is still marked, including by the observation of a two-minute silence at 11 a.m. This should be remembered on this day which adds another "11" to the series.

[Edited at 2011-11-11 11:48 GMT]

In Canada we still have the remembrance day exactly on November 11 all across the country. I just watched the ceremony televised from Ottawa. It is attended by thousands of people, including the Governor General, the prime minister and other dignitaries, and numerous veterans from all wars and peacekeeping missions. There are cannon salutes, fly-overs of airplanes and helicopters etc. Afterwards, all the veterans join a parade with pipe bands amidst lots of applause from the public. It's a really big event and very moving. I either attend or watch it every year to remember the many Canadian soldiers who lost their lives liberating my home country Holland in 1945.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Бразилия
Local time: 13:15
английский => португальский
+ ...
Памяти
Whatever it means... Nov 11, 2011

... the truth is that we'll have 12/12/12 next year, and then this will happen again only on 01/01/3001 if... and only if... the end of the world doesn't come first. None of us is expected to be around to celebrate that in any way.

Jan Rausch
Jan Rausch  Identity Verified
Германия
Local time: 18:15
немецкий => английский
+ ...
White poppies Nov 12, 2011

Jack Doughty wrote:

To Lucia: Actually, the tradition of wearing poppies (bought from the British Legion, proceeds to armed forces charities) has become much more prevalent in the UK in recent years, probably because British service men and women are still losing their lives in Afghanistan.
In fact, I wonder if it has gone a bit too far. I wear one myself and I am happy to see most other people doing so, but when absolutely everyone appearing in any capacity whatsoever on BBC Television has to wear a poppy, poppies are embroidered into footballers' shirts and dance costumes on a competitive dancing programme (in both cases, why not just wear a simple British Legion poppy?), I feel it is being used as a marketing tool, and the social pressure to make everyone conform is getting like that on young men in the First World War to wear uniform or be presented with a white feather as a symbol of cowardice.

I agree with you, Jack. Have you heard of the White Poppy? An excellent alternative in my opinion.

Regards,

Jan

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
Великобритания
Local time: 17:15
русский => английский
+ ...
Памяти
White Poppy Nov 12, 2011

I hadn't heard of it but I've just looked it up. No, it's not for me. I am not a pacifist, it's an impractical ideology for the world we live in. I respect the British Legion and what it does for our ex-servicemen, and I shall continue to support the red poppy, I just don't like it being exploited and the pressure on everyone to wear it.

Jan Rausch
Jan Rausch  Identity Verified
Германия
Local time: 18:15
немецкий => английский
+ ...
Fair enough Nov 12, 2011

Jack Doughty wrote:

I hadn't heard of it but I've just looked it up. No, it's not for me. I am not a pacifist, it's an impractical ideology for the world we live in. I respect the British Legion and what it does for our ex-servicemen, and I shall continue to support the red poppy, I just don't like it being exploited and the pressure on everyone to wear it.

Fair do's. I suppose I'm a pacifist so I'll go with the white one.

Have a nice weekend.

Jan

[Edited at 2011-11-12 14:48 GMT]

Страниц в теме:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Happy 11/11/11!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »