Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How do you handle factual errors in a source text?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Mar 18, 2011

My PMs are used to getting my comments in the form of footnotes, proposing alternative translations if the error is corrected. I do this sparingly and respectfully, and only if the client has not responded to queries on the matter.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Correct the text Mar 18, 2011

and inform the customer. Saves time and is usually appreciated. Who wants mistakes in their document?

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
The client might not always be grateful Mar 18, 2011

Many years ago, I was working for a scientific publisher. My manager (who was also a good friend) had a particular dislike of the Managing Director. Though we worked in English, this was not in an English-speaking country and the MD spoke good, but not fluent English. I had to type out a report he had written and mentioned to my manager that I ought to tidy up some linguistic and factual errors. Her response was "You aren't paid enough to try to make him look intelligent!"

So, whet
... See more
Many years ago, I was working for a scientific publisher. My manager (who was also a good friend) had a particular dislike of the Managing Director. Though we worked in English, this was not in an English-speaking country and the MD spoke good, but not fluent English. I had to type out a report he had written and mentioned to my manager that I ought to tidy up some linguistic and factual errors. Her response was "You aren't paid enough to try to make him look intelligent!"

So, whether your correction is welcomed could depend upon your client's relationship with the author.

[Edited at 2011-03-18 23:24 GMT]
Collapse

Liliana Galiano
Liliana Galiano
Argentina
Local time: 16:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
I let the client know... Mar 18, 2011

I always let the client know about the mistake and offer him/her a tentative solution which they generally accept after I explain the problem. so far...

Venkatesh Sundaram
Venkatesh Sundaram  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:24
German to English
Other - with a note - similar to what some colleagues are doing Mar 19, 2011

Interlangue wrote:

I translate the text "as is" but insert a "translator's note" as/with a comment and suggest a translation for what probably should have been. This morning, for instance, I delivered a translation stating that the recent earthquake in Japan had taken place on Friday 14 March... My note said "Friday, yes, but in my calendar, it was the 11th of March".

Mys approach is similar.
If I am working for a direct client, I usually ask them and correct the source text.
Often I work for agencies who haven't a clue - in which case I would insert a note
Cheers from sunny India

Venkatesh Sundaram
Venkatesh Sundaram  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:24
German to English
Do authors like being corrected? Good question Mar 19, 2011

Judith Anne Smith wrote:

Or I translate "as is" and notify the agency so they can check with the client about the error. Sometimes I never hear back about it though!

I have found that some authors don't like being corrected by a mere translator. Others have no problem with it and appreciate the care given in producing a faultless text. What have you found?

Her question is good. I too have found both kinds of responses - some appreciative, others wondering why I can't mind my own business. Sometimes, as other colleagues have pointed out, the "errors" are deliberate indeed!

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:54
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It depends on how obvious the correction is Mar 22, 2011

This is not about legal texts that would require "[sic]" ...

If the correction is 100% obvious, then I make it and notify the client separately, regardless of the author. I don't wait for "approval".

If the correction is not obvious (e.g., numbers that don't add up), then I leave the original and notify the client separately.

I am very surprised that colleagues are saying they don't encounter errors. I find them constantly - and I'm talking about documents
... See more
This is not about legal texts that would require "[sic]" ...

If the correction is 100% obvious, then I make it and notify the client separately, regardless of the author. I don't wait for "approval".

If the correction is not obvious (e.g., numbers that don't add up), then I leave the original and notify the client separately.

I am very surprised that colleagues are saying they don't encounter errors. I find them constantly - and I'm talking about documents from many, many different sources.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you handle factual errors in a source text?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »