صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2]
Poll: At what age did you start to learn your first foreign language?
ناشر الموضوع: ProZ.com Staff
Johanne Benoit-Gallagher
Johanne Benoit-Gallagher  Identity Verified
كندا
Local time: 18:14
أنجليزي إلى فرنسي
Around age 3 Apr 24, 2012

English is the second language of choice in Quebec and the only one taught in schools (there are very few exceptions) unfortunately. We have laws that govern the teaching of English and ESL usually starts in grade 3. There are discussions to start earlier, in grade 1 of primary school, but this always brings on a political debate.

Some people have the right to study in English school, many do not. This is simply a language protection policy. Because my father had gone to English sch
... See more
English is the second language of choice in Quebec and the only one taught in schools (there are very few exceptions) unfortunately. We have laws that govern the teaching of English and ESL usually starts in grade 3. There are discussions to start earlier, in grade 1 of primary school, but this always brings on a political debate.

Some people have the right to study in English school, many do not. This is simply a language protection policy. Because my father had gone to English school, I also had the option between French and English. It is along story, but basically, since he was not considered a practicing Catholic, his family was considered Protestant and that meant he was sent to English school even though he is a Francophone. Language then was also tied to religion.

I did my pre-school years in English and soon became bilingual. I went to primary and secondary school in French, college (or cégep as we call it) and university in English, then university again in French. So really, all my life has been spent about equally in two cultures that are constantly in contact and that have to give and take as they evolve.
Collapse

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
كندا
Local time: 18:14
أنجليزي إلى فرنسي
Russian first Apr 24, 2012

Russian is my mother tongue, but now I barely speak it. I have to relearn it... When I was 6, I switched to French for the elementary school in Belgium and it has become the language in which I am most fluent.
Later on, when we moved to Canada, I started to learn English in 4th grade. It didn't make any sense until I was in my 3rd year of high school.
Then, before going to university, I learned German. I don't use it often, but I can hold a conversation.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
المكسيك
Local time: 16:14
عضو (2006)
أنجليزي إلى إسباني
+ ...
6 Apr 24, 2012

When I was a child, at the primary school where I attended 2 English hours daily.

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
المكسيك
Local time: 16:14
أنجليزي إلى إسباني
+ ...
About 13 Apr 24, 2012

I answered 8-15 because I started learning French when I was about 13 years old. I gave that answer because as a child I learned to speak Spanish and English simultaneously. I grew up in a bilingual family, so I do not consider either English or Spanish a "foreign" language.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
البرتغال
Local time: 23:14
عضو (2007)
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
Around 3/4 years old Apr 24, 2012

I started French in nursery school.

Patricia Charnet
Patricia Charnet
المملكة المتحدة
عضو (2009)
أنجليزي إلى فرنسي
about 8 Apr 24, 2012

In my family, Italian, Polish and Breton were spoken on top of French

I started meddling with Italian at around 8 with my cousins - my first Italian words were all the swear words!!! (I understood some when watching the Godfather series!)

I heard Breton, Polish and Italian before but did not bother to start learning them

It's so nice to see younger people learning so early now the sooner t
... See more
In my family, Italian, Polish and Breton were spoken on top of French

I started meddling with Italian at around 8 with my cousins - my first Italian words were all the swear words!!! (I understood some when watching the Godfather series!)

I heard Breton, Polish and Italian before but did not bother to start learning them

It's so nice to see younger people learning so early now the sooner the better
Collapse

Lucia Moreno Velo
Lucia Moreno Velo  Identity Verified
أسبانيا
Local time: 00:14
عضو (2010)
فرنسي إلى إسباني
+ ...
at 8 Apr 25, 2012

When my father left me at the door of the nearest school in Paris, where we had just moved, and told me "I'll pick you up at he end of the day". That would be whay you call "inmersion".

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
البرتغال
6 Apr 25, 2012

Afrikaans, in my second year of school in South Africa. It was compulsory, given the State's language policy at the time (1970) that everyone should be "bilingual", i.e. in English and Afrikaans. Our family moved to neighbouring Zimbabwe about a year and a half later (English official language only), and I learned the same beginner's material again at age 12. In my first year at high school (age 13), Afrikaans was once again a compulsory subject on the syllabus (as was Latin and French) for all... See more
Afrikaans, in my second year of school in South Africa. It was compulsory, given the State's language policy at the time (1970) that everyone should be "bilingual", i.e. in English and Afrikaans. Our family moved to neighbouring Zimbabwe about a year and a half later (English official language only), and I learned the same beginner's material again at age 12. In my first year at high school (age 13), Afrikaans was once again a compulsory subject on the syllabus (as was Latin and French) for all pupils in the first year of high school, so I had to revisit the same "the cat sat on the mat" material for a third time! Needless to say, I always read ahead in the text book. After that year, I dropped Afrikaans in favour of French and Latin to "O" Level. I learnt German as an extra subject from age 15 (when I knew I wanted to be a translator). Afrikaans returned to my life when I did my Bachelor degree in translation at the only South African university at the time to offer such a course: all our translation "practical work" was Afrikaans>English and English>Afrikaans, and an important component of the course. So, a sharp learning curve. Needless to say, I never really mastered the English>Afrikaans direction. I haven't translated any Afrikaans to English since 1989, mainly because there are so very many more people so much more proficient at it than I, and to do so would be doing the language a disservice!Collapse

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

مشرفو هذا المنتدى
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: At what age did you start to learn your first foreign language?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »