Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What is the largest number of words you have ever translated in one day?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 18:15
German to English
+ ...
haven't the faintest idra Apr 29, 2012

Never even thought about it (and as I don't count words but lines instead, I still wouldn'tbe abel to asnwer even if I did notice).

LP Schumacher
LP Schumacher  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
8000+ Apr 29, 2012

When I take on occasional transcription projects, I generally translate about one hour of audio per day, which amounts to a good 8000 words. The context is usually market research with a conversational register, so there is not too much research involved, but it's still quite draining!

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:15
Portuguese to English
+ ...
'Translated' or 'translated, edited and proofread'? Apr 29, 2012

I have quite often translated 5,000 words in a day but this would be a draft translation and certainly wouldn't be what I would submit to a client.

[Edited at 2012-04-29 20:25 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:15
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
9,000 Apr 30, 2012

I didn't proofread it. That was about 18 years ago. Two years ago I did 30,000 in 5 days.

I remember, when I was younger I could easily hammer out 1,000 words an hour on the typewriter. Of course, the text was pretty straightforward.

Now I try not to go over 3,000. It takes a toll on my health.

Sonia Hill
Sonia Hill
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:15
Italian to English
9000 Apr 30, 2012

In my early days as a translator I once translated 9000 words in a day. It was a very long day and the agency was well aware of the kind of quality I would be likely to produce, but they begged me to do it anyway.

To be honest I would never accept a job like that now. At the time I had no children and could stay up late into the night if I needed to, but these days I have other priorities.

Nowadays I might translate up to 5000 a day, depending on the text (often it's m
... See more
In my early days as a translator I once translated 9000 words in a day. It was a very long day and the agency was well aware of the kind of quality I would be likely to produce, but they begged me to do it anyway.

To be honest I would never accept a job like that now. At the time I had no children and could stay up late into the night if I needed to, but these days I have other priorities.

Nowadays I might translate up to 5000 a day, depending on the text (often it's much less), but then much of this still needs thorough proofreading on another day.
Collapse

simon tanner
simon tanner  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
how long is a piece of string? Apr 30, 2012

as others point out, it depends. I have done 7000 words a day or more on numerous occasions, and regularly do 6000. Having said that, I use Dragon (how anyone could do without it is a mystery to me), and CAT tools (not that the latter always speeds things up with the kind of texts I do).

However, these are first draft counts. About 5000 a day is my limit for polished, client-ready work. It's not that 5000 words even takes me that long - probably about 6 or 7 hours from start to fin
... See more
as others point out, it depends. I have done 7000 words a day or more on numerous occasions, and regularly do 6000. Having said that, I use Dragon (how anyone could do without it is a mystery to me), and CAT tools (not that the latter always speeds things up with the kind of texts I do).

However, these are first draft counts. About 5000 a day is my limit for polished, client-ready work. It's not that 5000 words even takes me that long - probably about 6 or 7 hours from start to finished, proofread job. The problem is that after about 6 or 7 hours translating/reviewing my brain turns off! If I'm only doing a first draft, then I can do a bit more, but review takes greater concentration, and if I have to factor that in too, as I said, I reckon about 5000 is where my comfort zone ends.

If I have to type everything with speech recognition, then my maximum output falls again, probably to about 3500-4000 words
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
mulling-over time Apr 30, 2012

I also find that my brain needs some time to mull things over, usually a good night's sleep will do wonders to a text when I have been short on inspiration the day before.
So I practically always factor that in when giving deadlines. Clients sometimes wonder why I need as much time to translate 500 words as 3000, I tell them that translation is like bread, the yeast needs time to rise.

Dave Bindon
Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:15
Greek to English
In memoriam
3-5000 was my answer Apr 30, 2012

I did 9000 words in 8 hours once, but that was extremely un-polished and unformatted (the client needed it urgently and asked me to do the best I could within the deadline, even if it was just a 'gist' translation). I haven't counted this for the poll because I believe that a professional translation should be a polished product.

I set 2000 words as my daily target for legal texts. I can usually achieve that in 6 hours (I don't like to work long hours!), so 3000 is not out of the qu
... See more
I did 9000 words in 8 hours once, but that was extremely un-polished and unformatted (the client needed it urgently and asked me to do the best I could within the deadline, even if it was just a 'gist' translation). I haven't counted this for the poll because I believe that a professional translation should be a polished product.

I set 2000 words as my daily target for legal texts. I can usually achieve that in 6 hours (I don't like to work long hours!), so 3000 is not out of the question if I put in a couple of extra hours.

About 4000 words was my top output for a polished translation (relatively easy subject and a few repeated chunks which could be copied).

These figures all refer to translations without feline assistance.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is the largest number of words you have ever translated in one day?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »