Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Are you the main breadwinner in your home?
Inițiatorul discuției: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:56
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
Me and my shadow May 3, 2012

Denise Phelps wrote:

The dog and cat have rather limited opportunities to contribute economically to the household...

I wish I had a cat! He would be contributing a big chunk if only for the sole role of emotional support when there's little to do around here

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Local time: 08:56
din portugheză în engleză
+ ...
Cats May 3, 2012

Cannot recommend them enough, perfect for the 'at home' worker, providing company without the pressure of interrupting your work to take them for a walk. Although if you get one like mine or Mary's you'll find your day gets broken up scooping up rabbit remains. Actually I lie, I loathe, loathe, loathe that job and tend to delegate it to my husband.

Back on topic: also the main breadwinner, supporting 2 children and my husband who has been hit hard by the recession - fourth year of
... See more
Cannot recommend them enough, perfect for the 'at home' worker, providing company without the pressure of interrupting your work to take them for a walk. Although if you get one like mine or Mary's you'll find your day gets broken up scooping up rabbit remains. Actually I lie, I loathe, loathe, loathe that job and tend to delegate it to my husband.

Back on topic: also the main breadwinner, supporting 2 children and my husband who has been hit hard by the recession - fourth year of it.
Collapse

Trinh Do
Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Membru (2007)
din engleză în vietnameză
+ ...
Only temporarily since February, I hope May 3, 2012

Well, I live with my mother who is 76, too old to work, my brother who was earning quite a lot last year, then he went to Vietnam amid a global crisis, spent some time there for 1.5 months and came back to find out he lost so many opportunities. It's tough finding a job in Australia now, with jobs lost left, right, and centre. I am worried and hope nobody scammed me and my payers are rapid at paying me and this translation business is doing well. I have been doing budget cuts - medical, transpor... See more
Well, I live with my mother who is 76, too old to work, my brother who was earning quite a lot last year, then he went to Vietnam amid a global crisis, spent some time there for 1.5 months and came back to find out he lost so many opportunities. It's tough finding a job in Australia now, with jobs lost left, right, and centre. I am worried and hope nobody scammed me and my payers are rapid at paying me and this translation business is doing well. I have been doing budget cuts - medical, transport, electrical, dental, sounds like austerity measures.Collapse

Andres Larsen
Andres Larsen
Venezuela
din spaniolă în engleză
+ ...
there is only me and nobody else May 3, 2012

there is only me and nobody else

Anne Carnot
Anne Carnot  Identity Verified
Franţa
Local time: 09:56
Membru (2009)
din engleză în franceză
No May 3, 2012

there are 2 of us, and I'm glad that my husband has a regular job, as my earnings can vary considerably from one month to the other, but my kids' needs don't
I really admire these of you who manage on their own or who support a family on their own, it must get quite stressful sometimes

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Danemarca
Membru (2003)
din daneză în engleză
+ ...
Cheating a little May 3, 2012

My husband is now a pensioner, so for the last couple of years I have been the chief breadwinner.

Mine was the typical story of ex-pat women - my qualification as a technical librarian hit the last depression, and was too UK oriented for Denmark in the 80s. At one point, over 10% of Danish librarians were unemployed, which did not help... and at first I was not fluent enough in the language! The jobs I did get could not bring in a professional salary, so I worked my way up, through
... See more
My husband is now a pensioner, so for the last couple of years I have been the chief breadwinner.

Mine was the typical story of ex-pat women - my qualification as a technical librarian hit the last depression, and was too UK oriented for Denmark in the 80s. At one point, over 10% of Danish librarians were unemployed, which did not help... and at first I was not fluent enough in the language! The jobs I did get could not bring in a professional salary, so I worked my way up, through child-minding with evening classes, factory work and other jobs.

I felt I had won the big prize in the lottery when I landed in-house at a translation agency, but by then my husband was a senior economist and I was still only working part time while supplementing my education. But the company sponsored my translation diploma, and that really set me up.

And now he is retired, my husband thoroughly enjoys calling me the breadwinner. My deep respects to those who really are breadwinners for a family.
Collapse

Alison Sparks (X)
Alison Sparks (X)  Identity Verified
din franceză în engleză
+ ...
Bit of both really May 3, 2012

My partner can often make much more than me in a month, but because of the recession and his type of work has often got no income for several months.

I make a little at least (sometimes a very decent amount) every month which along with a small pension keeps us going.

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 17:56
Membru (2006)
din germană în engleză
+ ...
Same here May 3, 2012

Teresa Borges wrote:

In my case too...

Me too. I'm the only breadwinner, and my husband has been a stay-at-home dad to our children for the past three years.

Chun Un
Chun Un  Identity Verified
Macao
Membru (2007)
din engleză în chineză
+ ...
Sole breadwinner May 3, 2012

for a family of 3 for the past 3 years... I would be lying if I told you it had been stress free.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:56
Membru (2006)
din olandeză în engleză
+ ...
Now ... yes May 3, 2012

But that is a recent development.
My husband is also freelance, but in the construction sector which is effectively dead here in Greece.

With less and less work he has undertaken a progressively larger and larger share of home and child-care responsiblities, which has freed up more of my time for working, so it is all in any case still a team effort.
I guess similar is true for others who have partners working in sectors hit harder by the recession.

Interes
... See more
But that is a recent development.
My husband is also freelance, but in the construction sector which is effectively dead here in Greece.

With less and less work he has undertaken a progressively larger and larger share of home and child-care responsiblities, which has freed up more of my time for working, so it is all in any case still a team effort.
I guess similar is true for others who have partners working in sectors hit harder by the recession.

Interesting ... in the 2010s it seems that behind every great woman there might be a great man ... rather than vice versa
Collapse

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexic
Local time: 01:56
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
Only, but not always... May 3, 2012

Denise Phelps wrote:

The dog and cat have rather limited opportunities to contribute economically to the household...

I have been the only breadwinner in our home since we closed our language school, except when one of the dogs had a litter of puppies and they brought in a tidy amount, so she contributed too! So far our four cats have not contributed to the family income, but I don't care, I love them!
I also get occasional economic help from my two grown children, which I appreciate very much.

Johanne Benoit-Gallagher
Johanne Benoit-Gallagher  Identity Verified
Canada
din engleză în franceză
Yes, for now May 3, 2012

I have been the main (but not only) breadwinner for the past several years. It is still a team effort, but the workforce is changing and we adapt.

As a freelancer, I do not benefit from an collective health insurance package, so I am grateful that my husband does. This certainly helps compensate for the income loss.

Our flexible work arrangement makes it possible to be there for our teenagers, who like to remind us that we could leave the house more often:).

Teresa Reinhardt
Teresa Reinhardt  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Local time: 00:56
Membru (2002)
din germană în engleză
+ ...
And why not? May 3, 2012

Lisa Simpson, MCIL wrote:

It's just interesting to see how many people can make a living solely out of translation (or other language-related work: interpreting/teaching) and/or even support others in the process. All quick polls are flawed by the very nature of their brevity. I'm mainly trying to get a picture of what percentage bear the burden of being the main/sole breadwinner.

Do I detect just a bit of that popular idea that translation is not a real profession? I would have to take issue with that. I consider myself a professional - would you ask a doctor, lawyer, architect who has his own business the same question? I have been making a lot more money (by and for myself - my dog doesn't share anything he catches) than I ever did in 30 years of teaching/administration in academe.

Clients send me work that requires the knowledge of a German AND a US lawyer and/or engineer, plus the skill to put it into comprehensible language. So I think I should behave and get paid like a professional.

If there is anything wrong with this profession, it's the fact that too many translators do not take it seriously enough (I am also an editor; it starts with 80% of editing jobs coming in late.) And rates are a joke, comparatively speaking ...my landscaper charges $25/h, my mechanic $85, my lawyer $240...

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Local time: 08:56
din portugheză în engleză
+ ...
?? May 3, 2012

Teresa Reinhardt wrote:

Lisa Simpson, MCIL wrote:

It's just interesting to see how many people can make a living solely out of translation (or other language-related work: interpreting/teaching) and/or even support others in the process. All quick polls are flawed by the very nature of their brevity. I'm mainly trying to get a picture of what percentage bear the burden of being the main/sole breadwinner.

Do I detect just a bit of that popular idea that translation is not a real profession? I would have to take issue with that. I consider myself a professional - would you ask a doctor, lawyer, architect who has his own business the same question? I have been making a lot more money (by and for myself - my dog doesn't share anything he catches) than I ever did in 30 years of teaching/administration in academe.

Clients send me work that requires the knowledge of a German AND a US lawyer and/or engineer, plus the skill to put it into comprehensible language. So I think I should behave and get paid like a professional.

If there is anything wrong with this profession, it's the fact that too many translators do not take it seriously enough (I am also an editor; it starts with 80% of editing jobs coming in late.) And rates are a joke, comparatively speaking ...my landscaper charges $25/h, my mechanic $85, my lawyer $240...

Sorry Teresa, I fail to see where I have suggested that translation is not a real profession??

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italia
Membru (2003)
din engleză în italiană
+ ...
Only breadwinner May 3, 2012

I support myself and my triplets aged 13.

Laura

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorii acestui forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you the main breadwinner in your home?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »