Sebina Zisa-Davies
Sebina Zisa-Davies  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:30
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 17, 2022

Hi Everyone,

What percentage of your total translation assignments in a year would you say is made up of official translation requests?

Are you aware of any academic literature reporting stats on this topic, please?

I was not able to find anything relevant on Google Scholar.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Seb

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Official? Apr 18, 2022

Sebina Zisa-Davies wrote:
What percentage of your total translation assignments in a year would you say is made up of official translation requests?

By "official"... do you mean by the government?

Sebina Zisa-Davies
Sebina Zisa-Davies  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Official translation Apr 18, 2022

Hi Samuel. Thanks for your email. For official translation I mean (quoting from the ITI page on official translation) "any translation required in official contexts: personal documents, certificates and diplomas, public deeds, documents that are involved in legal actions, witness reports, commercial documents such as contracts, financial statements, corporate documents, and also government-certified translation required for medical reports, or expert opinions that are part of a legal procedure, ... See more
Hi Samuel. Thanks for your email. For official translation I mean (quoting from the ITI page on official translation) "any translation required in official contexts: personal documents, certificates and diplomas, public deeds, documents that are involved in legal actions, witness reports, commercial documents such as contracts, financial statements, corporate documents, and also government-certified translation required for medical reports, or expert opinions that are part of a legal procedure, or audits, or insurance claims". In other words, documents that would either need certifying, notarising or legalising or apostilles, or sworn translation.

Thanks,
Seb
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Dependent on pair? Apr 19, 2022

Sebina Zisa-Davies wrote:
...documents that are involved in legal actions, witness reports, commercial documents such as contracts, financial statements, corporate documents, and also government-certified translation required for medical reports, or expert opinions that are part of a legal procedure, or audits, or insurance claims". In other words, documents that would either need certifying, notarising or legalising or apostilles, or sworn translation.

This concept of certifying a translation seems to me to be something that affects mostly European language pairs. Perhaps it is a reflection of the Continental law mindset?

I translate a very large number of financial texts, including financial statements, and I've never been asked to certify anything. Rather, the client usually inserts a statement to the effect that the text is a translation from the original Japanese, and that in the event of confusion or lack of clarity, the source shall be considered definitive.

So for me the answer to your question would be "0%". Perhaps those working in the same pair but in other areas of specialization might have a different answer. I assume certification must be requested occasionally, even in JP-EN.

Dan

Elena Feriani

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Very little Apr 19, 2022

I am very occasionally asked to certify something but so rarely that I would put the percentage at near enough 0%. I translate mainly technical texts so it doesn't often come up for me.

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:30
English to Turkish
Is this question meant for freelancers? Apr 19, 2022

Because when I was working as an in-house translator about half of the translation tasks I was assigned involved legalization/notarization. But since becoming a freelancer working with foreign agencies I very rarely get such jobs. If I were working only with Turkish agencies I'd probably get more official translation jobs.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Personal poll for a Uni project: official translation assignments

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »